Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Miracle escape of British skier, after she was buried alive for 15 mins in Avalanche

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:
Miracle escape of British skier, 23, declared clinically dead after she was buried alive for 15 minutes in Austrian avalanche
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2105410/British-skier-Rhianna-Shaws-miracle-escape-Austrian-avalanche.html#ixzz1nDrEkuh3
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lucky lady
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I saw her being interviewed on Breakfast TV. What shocked me was that none of the group had tranceivers, shovels or probes. I don't ski off-piste so was wondering whether lots of people go off piste and don't bother with any equipment and just chance it.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
SCollier1, Me too (meaning I saw her. She does seem to be taking an interest in such gear now though!

snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Remarkably lucky. All the signs were there it would seem from her account of events.

Familiarity breeds contempt possibly.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The commenters on the Sh1tly Mail page all assume she was off-piste... I can't see where it says she was...

Anyways. Large dump of snow, especially after long time without, is one of the 5 Red Flags so ideally she shoulda known better...

Edit: lol "sunny day" = rising temps (Flag #2)... Any more?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Retarded Daily Mail comments are the best of all. That said typical idiot seasonnaire behaviour - after all they've been there at least 2 months so they muct know it's safe and don't have to think about risks or have that expensive avalanche gear, after all that would eat into the Jaegerbomb budget.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Trouble is many seasonaires are not experienced skiers, and even when they are in resort many workers don't get that much time to go skiing (though it does depend on who they work for) her friends may have been inexperienced and not aware of the risks but they did do one thing right, they organised a methodical search party and best of all someone knew how to resuscitate her.

Her experiences have taught her a valuable lesson and hopefully a few people will read the story and it will save their lives as well
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
D G Orf doubt the power of a Daily Mail article to encourage such people to think about risk a bit more. I wouldn't mind if she's acknowledged they were chancing it - but given she skied into someone else (=2 skiers on same pitch), her friends thought she might have skied off (=no spotters) and clearly they weren't beeping just makes me glad the muppets didn't kill anyone else. Very lucky that they got their poo-poo together in the heat of the moment.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

The commenters on the Sh1tly Mail page all assume she was off-piste... I can't see where it says she was...

Err, here:

"She said: ‘It hits me at strange times. It’s like a weird bad dream. I won’t be going off piste again in a hurry.’"
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fatbob wrote:
D G Orf doubt the power of a Daily Mail article to encourage such people to think about risk a bit more. I wouldn't mind if she's acknowledged they were chancing it - but given she skied into someone else (=2 skiers on same pitch), her friends thought she might have skied off (=no spotters) and clearly they weren't beeping just makes me glad the muppets didn't kill anyone else. Very lucky that they got their poo-poo together in the heat of the moment.

+1

But big respect to whoever did CPR - not an easy thing to do successfully.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fatbob wrote:

+1

TBH I wish an article like this rather than talk about 'how lucky she was' instead said 'how stupid they were'. In my experience a lot of season workers think they are the dogs danglies and beyond a) rules of the piste /off-piste and b) immune to danger because they are 'locals.'.... how wrong can they be.

of course not ALL seasonaires are like that but an AWFUL lot - perhaps even the majority
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SCollier1 wrote:
I saw her being interviewed on Breakfast TV. What shocked me was that none of the group had tranceivers, shovels or probes. I don't ski off-piste so was wondering whether lots of people go off piste and don't bother with any equipment and just chance it.

Lots and lots and lots. I was in a chalet in St Anton over New Year; a dozen snow boarders staying there were there having an "awesome" time off piste, in chest-deep powder. None of them had anything like that.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I saw her on TV the other day as well, it looks like the interview is here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17137366

She was a very very lucky person.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
At least she's now doing her best to publicize the need for avalanche kit - yes, after the event, but good for her all the same.
snow conditions
It does seem that this was an inexperienced group. In the interview she recounts how a collision with one of the other members of the group may have started the slide. They certainly weren't skiing it one at a time and watching each other. And I thought seasonaires were more avalanche aware these days...
snow report
Extremely lucky to still be here and a bunch of idiots. Knowing which company they work for I know for a fact that some of them at least will have had a talk from Piste to Powder about off-piste safety and carrying the kit and the staff have now been told that they are not allowed off-piste without kit/guide. Sadly others still won't learn from the experience of these people...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy