Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

My Tracks

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I use the "My Tracks" app on my phone to record cycle trips etc and it does what I want it to do.

If I use it to record a days skiing in France will I be using data from the mobile network and hence incur charges?

Thanks in anticipation
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I assume you are on android? Don't think it exist on iOS.

The app shouldn't need data unless you want the map overlay while you're running it. I.e. it can record your GPS location/speed etc without the map. You can lay your tracks against the map later when you're on WiFi or upload the file to a pc.
Ensure you turn the data roaming off on your phone if you want to be 100% safe.

That said you can go one better and cache the map of your local area via Google Maps:
Once into Google Maps go:
Menu > Setting > Labs > Pre-Cache Map area (ensure that option is ticked ON)
Then search for your destination/resort in Google Maps, hit said place tag in the map area and under the "More Actions" title you should have a "pre-cache map area" item. Just select this.
It'll cache the maps in a 10miles radius then you have your map without the need for a data connection. And that map will also be used by My Tracks.
Each specific cache can then be cleared separately via Settings > Cache Settings > Pre-cached map areas
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
martyngb,
The official word from Google is:
"Cell signal or data connection is not required to record GPS tracks. However, if there is no data connection, you will not be able to see a map. Instead you will see a grey screen or a partial map"
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kruisler,

Thank you for this, I shall endeavour to Cache the local area.

Cheers
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I used My Tracks in Whistler a couple of weeks ago. I had all data connectivity turned off and it worked fine when I got to one of the lodges or back to our apartment turned on wifi and it downloaded the map and applied the track on top. Seems pretty accurate althogh I did get a maximum speed of 92.64MPH Shocked on one track, which I can only assume was a glitch.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy