Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow Blades

Poster: A snowHead
I don't see that many bladers at all to be honest but I can't say I see any who are ripping it off piste or executing great form on arc to arc terms or confident balance while crusing or executing jumps/rails with style rather than flail. I do see lots of skiers & boarders who do the above.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Poor technique on a snowbike would probably be turning the handlebars, its all supposed to be done by moving your centre of gravity around.
As for poor snowboard technique, Yes i've seen some shockers, often when boarding past highly reflective surfaces. Never been on short skis apart from afternoon daliance with the snowbike, so absolutely not qualified to say what does and doesn't make up bad form, but if they are in control, able to stop or make a sudden course correction if required, then thats control. And from what I've seen blades are all about sudden course corrections.

I suppose my point in all of this is perhaps it's hard to judge the deficiencies in one discipline when you've only had a short period of exposure to it personally, and when that view is naturally going to be coloured by the experiences you've had in your normal discipline. How many times have you read in threads "I've skied since I was 7, tried snowboarding for 2 mornings and went back to skiing because snowboarding isn't a patch on it". I don't doubt for a minute i'll be the same when I learn to ski to help the kids learn, but i'll try to reserve judgement until i've given it a fair crack...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Never been on short skis apart from afternoon daliance with the snowbike, so absolutely not qualified to say what does and doesn't make up bad form, but if they are in control, able to stop or make a sudden course correction if required, then thats control.
Agree. I see too many bladders who don't have that level of control, unfortunately.

Richard_Sideways wrote:
I suppose my point in all of this is perhaps it's hard to judge the deficiencies in one discipline when you've only had a short period of exposure to it personally, and when that view is naturally going to be coloured by the experiences you've had in your normal discipline.
Agree, which is why I don't comment on snowboarding or telemarking in anything other than the broadest terms. But I see no significant technical difference between skiing on blades and skiing on regular length skis, so feel qualified to comment on the standard of blading I see.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Agree. I see too many bladders who don't have that level of control, unfortunately.

You will get old one day!

snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chris Bish, Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
bob, great video...never seen so many bladers out there at one time...that looked like a lot of fun...and in honor of a true skiing pioneer...

Rob...you're right...that's not scientific in the least...in my experience, I've seen far more boarders out of control as there are more of them...it's also annoying to have dozens of people sitting at the top of a slope waiting for whatever....like skiers, there is no need for a blader to stop...so, at least there's flow...

I'm going to give the blades I got (head salamander) a real honest shake...I have a helmet cam and provided it works, I'll get some video up here when I get back...

I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised with the blades as many who use them are...I still think those of you who are skeptics shouldn't be such until you try them out...

I will be...will give honest feedback...either way...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
headless wrote:
I still think those of you who are skeptics shouldn't be such until you try them out....
I have a pair of blades, I've skied on them a fair amount, I often ski in a resort where there is a large number of skiers who use them, and as a ski instructor I have a reasonably good eye for looking at the technique that skiers do or don't use. I believe my skepticism is well founded. That's not to say that everyone who skis on blades is, or becomes, a bad skier, so I hope you have fun, stay safe and find the magic solution to your technical problems that you are so keen to address.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
reckon fatbob;s video says it all. guys comfortably in the top 1% of skiers can't even make blades work for them Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob, if nothing else, it'll be a fun change...I don't extreme ski, so that won't be an issue...I'll report back...

Alans...I think they were purposely having fun with them...don't think they were going for skill points...some tremendous skiers can do anything on a slope, but doing backflips is usually not one of them...with that being said, it looks like they had a great time and I'm sure many will continue to use them...

I do believe blades are back and we'll all be seeing more of them...remember those funny looking snowboards...oh, they're still around too...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
headless wrote:
rob, if nothing else, it'll be a fun change...I don't extreme ski, so that won't be an issue...I'll report back...

Yeah for sure, I had a pretty fun afternoon on them. They are pretty entertaining for a bit.

headless wrote:

I do believe blades are back and we'll all be seeing more of them...remember those funny looking snowboards...oh, they're still around too...

That's just cr@p logic since blades have been about for about as long as snowboards, and have been consistently not very popular. They were a quick fad when they came out and then died out to a steady level (i.e., not many). Whereas boards went from strength to strength.
Blades have been tried (more than once) and failed to become mainstream, boards tried and had a big take up (although apparently in the last couple of years the number of skiers has been increasing compared to boarders).

Also pretty sure there isn't really an increasing number of bladers. Not that I've seen.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
headless wrote:

Doubt it, they've been around for ages - they just haven't caught on 'cos sooner or later everyone who tries them realises how crap and limiting they are.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If they are back, then it's only since the S8BB... and only on here! Wink
Think this yr was probably the record lowest that I've seen.... and we were adding to the numbers... for a laugh/demo. I reckon the 5 of us that slid on snow equipment of abnormally deficient length, probably doubled the total number we saw all week.

No idea why there's been such a proliferation of blade threads here recently.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A friend of mine is a very keen snow blader, and has been for many years. He does alot of work with sit-skiers and the shorter length allows him to get in close to assist, and no poles means free hands... Anyway, the point of this is that he gets on well with them (and uses them under control) not because he is also a very competant skier, but because he's a good skater. He used to ice skate alot when he was younger and the skills used in blading are more akin to that of ice skating than those of skiing.

Another issue on original post here - if you're supposed to use blades differently to skis anyway, it won't sort out skiing technique issues, it'll just make you a bad blader - could it be why people see so many bad bladers out there is that its skiers who are trying to blade?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bob, blades now offer the same quick release bindings as skis...one of the deterrants to blades was that they had non-release bindings, and these were perceived as being quite unsafe...that issue has now been addressed...and fixed.

Blade sales are actually up a lot, if you believe the sites that sell them...(that's open to opinions of all kinds!)...some models consistently sell out...is this because only a few are made or because they are penetrating a larger part of the market? Who knows...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Richard,

On a level surface, the blades are like skates...going downhill though, they work more like skis. I found a cool instructional video on blades when I checked on youtube...looks like skiing to me...some drills just a little different due obviously to the length issue...
latest report
headless, do you manufacture or sell snowblades by any chance?
snow report
Must admit I've got a pair for mucking about at the Tamworth fridge when skiing the same short slope week in week out gets a little boring (and am more under control than the majority on that slope at any given point in time!), good fun now and again and if there is space in the bag might chuck them in for the hols but doubt they'd used for more than a afternoon or so. Fun and different for a change but not a substitute for my main pairs of skis.
ski holidays
rob,

No...I do not...I'm just excited to try them out...we'll see how excited I am after trying them for a while! Little Angel

Davkt, thank you for input...I'm curious if I'll come to the same conclusion...either way, it's something new.

To me, it's like a car issue...do people buy a car and drive the same one/model forever or do people try sports cars, sedans, minivans, SUVs, etc...? They're all diffferent and serve a purpose.
I think blades, boards, skis fit this analogy pretty well...
snow conditions
Snowblades were the brainchild of extensive research by ski manufacturers, they found that a considerable number of skiers only really used half of the skis length- mostly the back half so they figured why waste materials, so for the sake of the planet they cut the ski length in half, plonked the bindings on and...the snowblade was born!

The target audience for these things naturally love em, naturally they are also very green with it!
Laughing
ski holidays
headless wrote:
rob,

No...I do not...I'm just excited to try them out...we'll see how excited I am after trying them for a while! Little Angel

Davkt, thank you for input...I'm curious if I'll come to the same conclusion...either way, it's something new.

To me, it's like a car issue...do people buy a car and drive the same one/model forever or do people try sports cars, sedans, minivans, SUVs, etc...? They're all diffferent and serve a purpose.
I think blades, boards, skis fit this analogy pretty well...

With blades being a Smart Car or 50cc scooter.
snow report
headless, if you really want to try something new that will improve your balance etc - try telemarking. You might have to beat the ladies off with a sh:tty stick however.
snow report
Gate...I don't know about that...but how you turn it into a green issue is rather interesting..if that's the case, I expect to see Obama on the slopes in some blades!

Clarky, how about a M3 as maneuverability is far better with blades (so they say)...
snow report
only if you can work them. which 99.973% of bladists can't do.

more like a drifter. goes sideways in a permanent skid.
latest report
Sorry andy, but I fear I have to correct you! It's actually 99.972%
snow conditions
bob, telemarking...no way...too much work...if I want to cross country ski...well, you know...

andy, I will work them well...don't worry...if I can't, I'll toss 'em and put my tornadoes back on...

Gate...thank you for the % correction...I was sweating that! Shocked
snow conditions
headless, thread drift but if you tap on the Snowheads name to the left of their post who you want to address, it will automatically highlight them in bold type in the text box!

Like, headless, headless, headless,
snow report
gatecrasher, thank you....got it...neat trick...
snow report
headless wrote:

Clarky, how about a M3 as maneuverability is far better with blades (so they say)...

Err.. no. M3s are fast. And grippy in the bends. The people who need something that tiny to be able to move it, are the sort who need their car to be Smart Car sized to be able to park it... AKA, useless. All skis are more than manoeuvrable enough - you just need the skills, rather than excuses.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
clarky,

Now, now...let's not get personal. A M3 is known more for its maneuverability, not its straight line speed...the corvette is the counter to this...in our analogy, the blades are much more maneuverable...but speed is sacrificed...whatever...they should be a fun ride...just imagine if everyone tried out blades and many stuck with them...ut oh, what then?

Skills...ahhh...won't go there...don't know you well enough! Little Angel
snow conditions
fatbob wrote:
headless, if you really want to try something new that will improve your balance etc - try telemarking. You might have to beat the ladies off with a sh:tty stick however.

Speaking of which, noticed in paper this morning that Ms Pippa 'sweet-cheeks' Middleton is taking part in the Vasaloppet cross country ski race...

Linky: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2107745/Pippa-Middleton-biggest-cross-country-ski-race-world-brother-James.html
snow report
headless wrote:
clarky,

Now, now...let's not get personal. A M3 is known more for its maneuverability, not its straight line speed...the corvette is the counter to this...in our analogy, the blades are much more maneuverable...but speed is sacrificed...whatever...they should be a fun ride...just imagine if everyone tried out blades and many stuck with them...ut oh, what then?

Skills...ahhh...won't go there...don't know you well enough! Little Angel

Yeah, sorry dude I am being a bit of a dick.

Whether you stick with them or not, I hope you have fun!
ski holidays
Fun in the park too!

http://youtube.com/v/rN64zuHdnHw&feature=youtube_gdata_player
ski holidays
Once when I was at the top of the Grand Couloir (oooh, look at you... Blush ) I was joined by a blader. I had a chat with him and it turns out he always "skied" on blades. He did seem a bit of a geek. It was my first time on the GC and was encouraged that if some twonk could do it on blades I would have no trouble on ski's. I've never tried them but know plenty who have. Most just do an afternoon in them but I knew one lassy who used them for a whole week.
snow conditions
clarky999, it's all good...no biggie...I know we're all just having fun...I'll have both with me and trust me, I'll be using the ones that I'm most comfortable with...I'll have a helmet cam with me....if I can figure out how to use it, I'll try to get some video on here...

gatecrasher, neat video...maybe my eyes were deceiving me, but I thought I saw skiers and bladers together...ahhhh...that's the way it should be!

Layne, many report that more difficult terrain becomes easier with blades...we'll see soon enough! Yahoo!
snow report
Quote:

Blades are for people who've given up on being skiers, and anyone who says anything to the contrary has given up themself.

-fin-

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
I would love to see the blader going down the Grand Couloir. I am sure it would be a picture of stability, speed and control.

Each to their own but if you want to progress onto steeps and off piste, blades arent the way to go.
snow conditions
Quote:

many report that more difficult terrain becomes easier with blades

in my experience... no
not on steep ice. not in powder. not in moguls.
if blades make it "easier"... then really do get some lessons! (unless your 80yr old with double hip replacement and weak knees).

(speaking as someone who does own them, and has used them - including within the last month).
latest report
andy, we'll see. Thank you for your input. Lessons, lessons, lessons...the best skiers I've ever seen never had a lesson and they have perfect form...one in particular I'd put up against anyone, anywhere...guy is absolutely amazing...believe it or not, he first learned on the old-school blades...he recommended them to me years ago, but like many here, I was too opinionated to try.

I've had a ton of lessons and enjoyed them...honest...I'm not a bad skier...advanced intermediate...however, either through glitches of technique or just not wanting to risk injury (as my job requires a fully functioning body), I shy away from the diamonds. Sure, I'll do a few runs when I'm out skiing for a week, but blues/double blues are more my comfort zone.

I think it's exciting to try something new and really give it 100%. You can get hurt on long or short skis, or a board, for that matter...

I have great blades and great skis...obviously, I'll use whichever I'm more comfortable with...who knows...I really can't recommend blades until I try them and they'll be getting a good go-around on the slopes...if I feel as though they are a great alternative to skis, all the better for those 80 year old, bad hips and knee peeps who still want to get on the slopes...

andy, you'll be there someday yourself.... Shocked
snow conditions
Quote:

Lessons, lessons, lessons...the best skiers I've ever seen never had a lesson and they have perfect form...one in particular I'd put up against anyone, anywhere...guy is absolutely amazing...

I bet he went through a race programme or kids club for locals etc though.
snow conditions
Clarky,

No...this guy is a natural...he was like that with golf too....6 handicap without ever a lesson...great swing...gotta hate guys like that! On the slopes, he could go off piste down the most steep runs with trees...we went to Vail several years ago...nothing there was difficult enough for him so he'd go to Blue Sky Basin and just create his own paths. I remember he was helping me out on Northstar (an original Vail black diamond) and he was helping me while skiing backward on the whole slope...amazing...and for those here who have been on that slope, it can be quite steep and bumpy....
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy