Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gecko Skins

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am getting some skins for my touring skis - ZAG purist lights and I have looked around and found Gecko skins at a really good price but I have to confess I have never heard of them, has anyone used them and how do they compare to Coltex?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Someone was telling me about these today.. aren't they ment to be "glueless"
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yeah, that's the bit i am not understanding.....they are banging on about polymers or some other craparoo and i am just trying to get my head around them.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Some Gecko skins are glueless and some aren't.

I've heard the glueless ones can be troublesome if the skis are wet.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I got my hands on some the other day: no glue, but (I think) a kind of silicon - it feels tacky and grips well. The advantages are that you can wash them clean so in theory you don't get halfway through the season to find your skins barely grip any more, and you can stick them to themselves without any problem - they unpeel easily. Their owner (an instructor who spends most of his time off piste) raved about them but the following week I skied with a Swiss guide, Kilian Volken, who has tested them and had a really bad time in cold conditions. His comments were unprintable. Until I hear more, I'm assuming that in 'normal' conditions they work like a charm but if it gets too cold you can forget them, so unless you're a multi-skin person who can choose which kit to use for a certain day-trip, don't bother.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Some info:
http://www.wildsnow.com/6281/gecko-skins-review/
http://www.wildsnow.com/1617/gecko-skins-redux/
http://www.wildsnow.com/993/gecko-climbing-skins-finally-something-new/
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
FoulNatives:

Thanks for that, really helpful. Skins for wintersports only good as long as they don't get cold.......can see it could be a bit of a problem.

Bleedin Colltex it is then!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What about Black Diamond (out of curiosity, the cat killer)? Any good?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidhammy, I bought some a few years ago, used them in very cold weather, they were a nightmare, kept coming off all the time.

I took them back.

Yes, said the shop owner a lot of people have had similar problems, do you want your money back? Yes, I said (thinking why didn't you tell me that when you sold them to me).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
JaMMi wrote:
What about Black Diamond (out of curiosity, the cat killer)? Any good?

Been fine for me.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy