Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ever tried GPS-tracking your day's skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
GPS tracking, with an automatic print-out map of your day's skiing, is appearing in a growing number of US resorts. It involves wearing an

armband-mounted GPS receiver, made by SlopeTracker. At the end of the day, you hand over the device which provides data that can generate a "poster-quality frame-ready printout" of your day's progress.

Telluride, Park City, Copper Mountain, Winter Park and Keystone are the resorts currently offering the service. The print-out map includes the following data: number of runs, vertical feet, speed, calories burned, distance traveled, time skied, and terrain difficulty.

Here's the SlopeTracker website for more info.

Anyone tried this?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The mountain hosts at Copper Mtn in Colorado wear this for the head office's benefit. Not a bad idea.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ever tried GPS tracking your wife's day shopping?

When the Mrs gets home from the shops she simply hands over the device which provides a poster quality frame ready printout of where she's been spending your hard earned cash.

Download the shoe shop and garden centre expansion pack today!

Could be onto something here
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Goldsmith,

Only on the Col de Lyksamm. A bit of overkill otherwise for the piste.
I can see the benefit for rescue type services tho'

ian bloomfield, LOL
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Also available the PUB WITH BEER download, just right for those upcoming beer shortages, and avoiding the ensuing price rises.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Do it yourself for about 500 Squid. GPS (3ft res.) altimeter, barometer, chronograph, pc interface and software . . . I can hear Kramer fumbling for his wallet already wink

latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Do it yourself for about 500 Squid. GPS (3ft res.) altimeter, barometer, chronograph, pc interface and software . . . I can hear Kramer fumbling for his wallet already

Nah, I bet he's got one already Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As the GPS Tracking from SlopeTracker costs $25 a day it wouldn't take long before you had spent more than the cost of a fancy Suunto watch!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd rather people tracked me via my footprints, as per tradition.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Abominable snowHead, There will be no footprints after i have done pisteing work. Smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I tried this with my handheld GPS 'mounted in the top of my backpack. I got several days worth of tracks - top speed 44MPH! (I know DH athletes go much faster but that was fast enough for me)
THe problem is analysing the data.
(3 ft accuracy is only possible in ideal circumstances, in N America, possibly. The WAAS/EGNOS system that is designed to enhance accuracy is mainly there for aircraft - in high latitude mountains (Europe) the geo synchronious satelites are too low on the horizon)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Does the Suunto use GPS? I thought is just used altitude...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mmmm.....data!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Murdoch, one of their models (pictured above) also has a GPS receiver in addition to the usual altimeter.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Our guide wore one (barometric only I think, not GPS), when we did the PdS circuit. Very interesting in the evening analysing the plot, cos it shows how many lifts/runs you managed. With a bit of maths, I think we worked out a crude total skiied distance, but GPS may be better there (certainly for fall line skiiers, not sure how it copes with side-side traversers).

I want one, but just haven't found the right one yet. My Etrex is a bit too chunky.
latest report
David Goldsmith wrote:

Anyone tried this?

no I've tried this though: http://www.bivouak.net/gps/route.php?id_route=163&id_sport=1
latest report
andy, when I worked in the PDS we reckoned the "standard" circuit was about 80km. What did you determine?
snow report
David Murdoch, iirc First time we reckoned about 65km, BUT we took shortcut from LesCrosets back to Ardent Bubble (our start/end point), due to too much faffing and concern about missing last lift. So 80km for full circuit sounds about right. We did the full circuit last year, and 80km is what it felt like!
ski holidays
Sounds like something to try out.

I have a Garmin Forerunner that I use for running I will have to give it a go in Tignes at Christmas. Will be interesting to download the data into SportTracks software and link it to Google Earth.

CP
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy