Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Carroz Trip Report Feb 10 - 14

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So far I've posted a brief snow report http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=82845&highlight=carroz&start=440
and some thoughts on the Croix de Savoie and Les Carroz ski hire http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1962215&highlight=carroz#1962215.

To wrap things up I have one more posting focused on the most important topic - the skiing. This will take the form of a circuit I'm putting together for a friend of mine who has a few days in Samoens next month. We're both reasonably experienced intermediate skiers who can cope with most pistes, although I was defeated by at least one of the Massif blacks.
Any suggestions for improvements to the circuit are most welcome. This was my first visit so I'm sure I still have a lot to learn.

Overall I was very impressed with the fantastic variety of slopes on offer and that was just with the Massif pass. We had great conditions right down to Les Carroz. I'm sure there are times when you need to be on the higher slopes for the best skiing, but for the purpose of this exercise lets assume we have good snow throughout the area.
Negative points for the ski area are the number of slow chairs and some flat sections on some of the link runs. However I think I've prepared a circuit that avoids nearly all of the trouble spots. My personal requirement for frequent returns to base meant we skied the Les Carroz slopes much more than anything else but that was no hardship because I think they're great runs through the trees. So the circuit presented here is rather biased towards Les Carroz.
(1) We'll start off with a ride up the excellent Chariande Express from Samoens 1600. From the top the Chamois (red) and Marmottes (blue) combine into a lovely long run down to the Molliets chair.
(2) From the top of the Molliets I'll work you across all of the best runs above LC starting with Collinelle (red) and Biollaires (blue) down to the Gron chair.
(3) Up the Gron for the first time and ski down Cupoire (red) back to the Gron.
(4) The second descent from the top of the Gron was probably our favourite run, starting with the nicely pisted black Veroce and dropping onto the Combe (blue) all the way down to the Keduze Telecabine. The Veroce is a lovely run allowing you to get into some nice fast turns.
(5) Up the gondola and onto the Felire black for some relatively easy bumps leading down to the Lou Darbes blue. N.B. I negotiated the bumps ok, but then crashed out as I turned into the track that links back to the blue.
(6) The bottom of the Lou Darbes is worth a second visit, so the second run down from the gondola combines the top of Plein Soleil (blue), keeping right to pick up the Pimpernelle (red) and then back onto the Darbes
(7) The final run down to LC is the splendid combination of the Plein Soleil and Timalets (red). If you time it right you're in a good spot for lunch.
LUNCH The Servages is on the right as you reach the first buildings in LC. The Black Pig wasn't on the menu when we called in so we settled for a couple of beers in what was a very smart establishment. You might prefer the more competitively priced Airelles at the bottom of the small button served slope just before you get back to the Keduze. The plat du jour (ribs) was excellent for our visit. The Oreade at the top of the gondola is the only other piste side eatery we can comment on. I wouldn't recommend a special trip, but the self service facility is a good option for a quick lunch stop.
(Cool Back to the skiing, and after lunch make your way back to the Gron via the Combe and Zorta. Zorta is another lovely red through the LC trees.
(9) From the top of the Gron cross the green run to ski the top of Marmottes. Unfortunately I can only offer slow chairs to get back up to the Tete Des Saix to access the Samoens slopes. Maybe Gentianes is the best bet giving you a chance to assess the unpisted Corblanche black. The alternative chair is near the top of the Marmottes run - the 2 man L'Airon goes up alongside the Chamois run.
(10) If you fancy the Corblanche ski down and then back up Gentianes.
(11) From the Tete Des Saix all the runs above Samoens 1600 are good fun. Marmotte (red) was in great shape for the early part of our stay but was a little tired later on as the vacances / half term crowds arrived. Ski all the way down the Marmotte to the Chariande Express.
(12) We didn't try it, but the Chamois (black)/ Gouilles (blue) looks like an interesting route down to the Gouilles chair.
(13) On our relatively busy last day I was tempted by the Aigle Noir as we rode up the slow Gouilles chair. A nice wide run with very little traffic looked a good option compared to the busier pistes. I took a quick route down, although there was a slight delay while I waited for some kindly (more competent) ladies and gents to collect the selection of skies and body parts that littered the mountain. I'll need to work on my mogul technique before I tackle that one again. After that I really enjoyed the Dahu (blue) back down to the Chariande Express
(14) From your final trip up the Express you can take your pick of the top sections you've already skied to find your way onto the Verosse blue to complete the set.
A few final thoughts away from the proposed circuit:
- The links to Flaine are motorway blues with occasional trickier stretches to catch out the unsuspecting novice. The Vernant and Grand Vans lifts are refreshingly quick.
- While in LC avoid the slow Moulins and Plein Soleil chairs.
- Avoid the top of Biollaires linking Morillon to LC. I'm pretty sure this was one of the flat sections.
- We didn't find it easy to get out of Morillon hence it's absence from the circuit. Lanche appears to be the key lift and it's a slow 3 man. We queued there for about 20 mins on our last day. It would be very helpful if anyone can recommend a good way to work in the best of the Morillon slopes.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks Alan were off to Morillon for the 4th year running on Saturday. I don't find the flat bit from top of Morillon to Gron too painful. Even the kids can generally make it without poling. We have had a couple of horror queues at Lanche ourselves. I would also be interested to see how the experts deal with it.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Interesting, maybe we strayed onto one of the greens in the same area. It was on day one and we were exploring fairly randomly, but we definitely had to use the poles. We didn't go back to Morillon until the last day and then we got stuck at Lanche having accidently veered too far right onto the blue run off the Stade/Crete reds.
If it's easy to get across to the Gron chair I should be including at least one Morillon run in my circuit. What do people recommend?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Alan G, It would be a pity to avoid Morillon, nice red and blue runs and the Marvel is the only green I've chosen to do more than once. You can leave the top of Morillon via the Boillaire blue down to the Gron chair. After the lift, opposite is the Marmottes run to the Airon chair and then back up to the Tete des Saix above Samoens.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alan G, it sounds like you route never strayed more than 50 yards from the nearest fine dining establishment and/or euro-bog.

I am due out there on the 5th by which time it is becoming apparent that most of the snow will have/of melted in this mother and father of all thaws which is God's little joke on those of us who binged on the early season 'pow'

So, point it, which areas/runs are best for those of us who enjoy a bit of Heather Dodging? (Flaine is off limits due to what happened in Aime la Plagne)

TIA
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
red 27, not boggy while we were there. Temperatures of minus 20 kept everything in pristine condition. However I can see this might be a concern for your trip. If the puddles on the pistes get all too much give me a shout and I will research more quality eateries that will be ideal locations for soaking up the sunshine.
I managed a brief glimpse of Flaine as I was heading for the Grand Vans to take me back in the opposite direction. My initial impression was it might be a little prettier than Aime....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy