Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

nicest resort within driving distance from DOver?

Poster: A snowHead
Was thinking about driving to the Alps this year with a stop off in Lyon.
What's the nicest resort within a 10-12hr drive, preferably trying to avoid any concrete jungle type resorts, something with a bit of charm would be nice.

Also, I understand winter tyres are compulsory now in Swiss land so I'm guessing that rules out Verbier and Zermatt.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
or stop off somewhere other than Lyon.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We drove down to Baqueira Berret, in the Spanish Pyrenees last week. About 11 hours from Calais in a Fiat Panda, with an easy stop over in Limoges. Superb conditions there at the moment.

See: http://www.baqueira.es for the resort web site & http://www.baqueira.co.uk for a British ran chalet.

Assorted photo's in this thread:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=80218&start=160#1978430
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We like Samoëns - about 875km from Dover which takes about 8 hours as it's motorway all the way to Cluses (tolls about £30 each way), which is only about 20 minutes from Samoens. Once there, there's a huge car park at the bottom of the big gondola which takes you straight up into the Grand Massif (Flaine, etc) area. Don't be put off by Flaine's concrete jungle reputation - Samoëns couldn't be more different if it tried. Old stone village with lots of historic buildings, plus new chalets, and a choice of hotels and decnet apartment complexes.

Peak Retreats usually seem to have some decent ferry/tunnel inclusive prices - book on the tunnel with them and you get a flexiplus upgrades which (as long as you aren't an overheight vehicle) also gets you access to the lounge with free refreshments.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Like Okanagan says, Samoens fits your requirements to the letter, except maybe it's slightly less than a 10 hour drive from Calais Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I hear Samoens is not the liveliest of resorts though.
I suppose lively = concrete jungle though?

Austria is a bit far for driving isn't it? Or not as I can get on the German autobahn

Oh, 1 extra requirement, the missus needs a spa nearby as she can't ski for more than 1 day in a row!!!!!!! Mad
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Much like in Switzerland, winter tyres (or all season "mud and snow" tyres) are mandatory in Austria from November to mid April when there's snow, slush or ice on the roads. You can use chains instead, but only ifthe road is covered by a complete or scarcely broken snow cover or sheet of ice. As the fine for non-compliance is up to 5,000 Euros, the vehicle impounded and insurance is deemed void if you are involved in an accident I wouldn't risk it!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Spa not a problem - http://www.samoens.com/anglais/DT1296228936/page/Well-beingamenities.html
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Okanagan wrote:
Much like in Switzerland, winter tyres (or all season "mud and snow" tyres) are mandatory in Austria from November to mid April when there's snow, slush or ice on the roads. You can use chains instead, but only ifthe road is covered by a complete or scarcely broken snow cover or sheet of ice. As the fine for non-compliance is up to 5,000 Euros, the vehicle impounded and insurance is deemed void if you are involved in an accident I wouldn't risk it!

Is it one of those grey areas? ie what if the road is gritted but the side has snow?
So, France does not have those rules? Obv, I'd take chains anyway but still.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
anyone drive to Austria or is it too far compared to the French resorts?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
GordonFreeman, it's not much further. Drove to Hintertux last season and it was an earlier start and a later arrival than driving to the French Alps, but we still did it in a day.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

We like Samoëns - about 875km from Dover which takes about 8 hours as it's motorway all the way to Cluses (tolls about £30 each way),

Puzzled the tolls are far more than that. via.michelin.com will give you accurate toll costs for any journey.

GordonFreeman, one lively resort which is not a concrete jungle is Morzine - a very easy drive from Calais, nearly all motorway, and the approach doesn't present particular problems. Winter tyres are hugely better, but you can get away with using chains provided you don't leave it too late to put them on. wink

Chamonix is lively, a very easy drive, and not a concrete jungle. Val D'Isere isn't a concrete jungle either, though claims that it is quaint and traditional are pushing it.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Okanagan, +1 Samoens has trhe charm you yearn for plus this Saturday the coverqueen who play in France, Belgium, Netherlands and Switzerland http://www.coverqueen.fr/crbst_1.html

Bois de Lune usually has some pretty good late night entertainment with DJ's from Geneva. Thanks fully no clubs - good food and enough to do if you're not a P-head. Even then you'd be catered for although we're rathre short of sawdust. One of the local ferme's also has a savoyarde restauarent in their milking shed!

Chamonix is lively but isn't as charming.

Agree with Pamw that the tolls are more
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Chamonix is lively but isn't as charming.

Morzine could be good or Les Gets maybe.
I will also check Samoens - there's almost too much choice with the Alps.

I once paid 9 euros for a pint there, that was 4 years ago, wonder what inflation has done? Smile
Still, the Vallee Blanche was amazing.

Austria...I had always wanted to see some Austrians dancing on tables but I'm not sure if that's just folklore or not Smile
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
On another tangent, are there any places to get self catered accommodation for just a weekend or am I correct in thinking they're mostly booked up by week long holidayers?
ski holidays
GordonFreeman, I've booked long weekend self-catering accommodation in Chamonix, Verbier and Morzine.

I'd opt for Chamonix, Megeve or Les Gets as being closest driving from Dover/Calais
ski holidays
I'd say Eastbourne or Les Gets.
snow report
Quote:

about 875km from Dover which takes about 8 hours as it's motorway all the way to Cluses (tolls about £30 each way),

Okanagan, That was a long time ago,, the peage ( Toll ) is 74 € one way,,,,
ski holidays
Morzine livelier at night than Les Gets. Megeve is fairly quiet from what I hear.
ski holidays
Quote:

Megeve is fairly quiet from what I hear.

yes, not the place for someone who wants to wander round and find a succession of "lively" (ie noisy and crowded...) bars. That's why I didn't suggest it - or Les Gets. Or indeed Les Saisies, despite the "Piano Bar" wink
snow conditions
GordonFreeman, Morzine, Morzine, or Morzine maybe I am biased though Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
Have accom S/c available from March 10th. Good snowHead 's deals.
ski holidays
Yeah, come to think of it, last time we did it, a coupel of years ago, we came back off the motorway for most of it, so looking back at the accounts that was probably mostly one way.
ski holidays
halfhand wrote:
GordonFreeman, I've booked long weekend self-catering accommodation in Chamonix, Verbier and Morzine.

I'd opt for Chamonix, Megeve or Les Gets as being closest driving from Dover/Calais

any ideas where to look for that?
I can only find hotels on places like booking.com, etc.
latest report
GordonFreeman, there are various websites, like "owners abroad" "holiday-rentals.co.uk" etc. Best bet is to use your favourite search engine, from there you get a feel for the main sites and maybe find owner's own websites for private lets. Some of the aggregator sites seem a bit flaky (not saying they aren't legit, they are just not very easy to use), so once I find a place I prefer to deal direct with the owner if possible.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 23-02-12 11:27; edited 1 time in total
snow report
GordonFreeman, you can also look at the resort websites - there are always links to accommodation, and most will include privately owned and rented places, not just big agencies.

There are vast numbers available in all those places but as sah says, you can just google. If you want France, then if you speak a bit of French you will do better on google.fr once you narrow it down.
snow conditions
GordonFreeman, 2-3 day lets aren't economic for solo ops as the turn around costs aka linen/laundry/cleaning are the same for 1 night as for 7 so they have to be incorporated. I'd suggest Neige a Roc or Les Glaciers hotels in Samoens as they have the support logistics/infrastructure to price and deliver shirt stays. I have vairable rates but still have to add in 120€ for the turnaround. If that's added to a weekend even if I charge 40€ per night that would still work out at 200€ which would be pointless for me and for my guests.
snow report
GordonFreeman, Chamonix we used Interhome, Morzine we used www.morzinelets.com, Verbier this year we used www.sunnyrentals.com
ski holidays
We rent out using www.ownersdirect.co.uk , and most owners I know in the same resort do as well.

I like to have a bit of an email or telephone exchange before renting out and that seems to work for the rentees (?) as well.

2 - 3 day lets don't really work. The sat / sat thing does work well as everything is geared up for it. If we weren't fully booked out for the year then maybe we would be more flexible.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy