Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

GoPro cold weather warning & Video

Poster: A snowHead
Just a quick not to warn users of the GoPro to be careful where they use the sticky pads in extreme cold.
Prior to my trip to Flaine i stuck two pads to my skis (from and rear) to experiment with different angles. Within hours they just fell off, even without the camera mounted.
It seems the glue does not like the cold. It was about -15 and i guess it was lucky the camera was not on as i probably would have lost it.

Anyhow i ended up just strapping it to my boot.

Heres the Vid.

http://youtube.com/v/Unb_6zCt_ow
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How long before did you put the pads on, and where were the skis then kept?

Just that my Hero 2 arrived today and I've been looking at various vids, reading instruction etc and at least twice I read that you have to put pads on 24hrs before and keep item indoors.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Weathercam wrote:
How long before did you put the pads on, and where were the skis then kept?

Just that my Hero 2 arrived today and I've been looking at various vids, reading instruction etc and at least twice I read that you have to put pads on 24hrs before and keep item indoors.

They were fitted a week or so in advance and kept indoors.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I had the same problem skiing Lake Louise late February last year. GoPro fell 30ft off a chairlift into deep powder in -33 temperatures. For seriously cold skiing you need a vented helmet w/ strap for total piece of mind, a chesty or a pole mount (I would recommend a pole mount anyway - get some awesome shots). Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I wouldnt often suggest mounting on a ski as they are not always completely flat and that is the issue with the adhesive monts, as they need a good flat surface. Either way i always suggest tethering the camera here is an example with a helmet mount that was recorded wih one of our hire cameras. Not an issue as it was tethered but without a tether it could have been funny insurance discussion.

http://youtube.com/v/uJ8pKW9UrXA
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My mate made his own pole mount out of a paint brush roller handle and the mount off of a broken tripod. Cheap as chips, worked fantastic
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Had mine in Tignes 2 weeks ago when it was often below 20 and had no problems
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mine fell off my skis in deep pow too (had been mounted over 24 hours), admittedly after stacking it, and as I put the mount too far forwards for my tether to reach my boots, very nearly lost the whole thing. Half an hour whacking around in the snow with my ski pole and luckily found it! Have had no issue with on my helmet though.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
you cant blame the cold ive had the mount stuck to
my helmet for two years no prob and it was -40 last week
in val thorens (with wind chill) did you clean your ski first with sum sort of spirit
to remove any wax?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I just bought myself a GoPro Hero Wide off Ebay, it comes with a 2gb memory card already.
Have I made a big mistake going for the slightly cheaper option and not getting the HD one? and should 2gb memory be okay as its standard def?

Thanks!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
probaly not but it depends on what you paid for it, but you will probably need a bigger memory card and second battery at the very least.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
paid £100, so saved myself about £50 from the HD, it takes AAA batteries, so thats not a problem, will look at getting a bigger SD card though cheers Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

-40 last week
in val thorens (with wind chill)

I don't think cameras care about wind chill. wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Danrawlo, I wouldn,t worry about having a non-HD camera, if you have saved that much money !.
We have a X170, non-HD camera and it gives great results for us on piste, as our first head cam to experiment with. It has 2 x AA batteries and they lasted over 10 x afternoons. 2GB should be okay if you down load your footage at the end of the day.

The drift cameras come with great slot in brackets that velcro sticky pad on. Not wishing to rely on the sticky pads, nor the velcro, we used gaffa tape to fix the brackets onto the helmet - worked fine in all temperatures, down I think -15 'ish. That even included my son crashing heavily off a jump.

Noisey
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:

http://youtube.com/v/A1b_L5z5cNE

Same thing happened to me going down to Belle Plagne this half term, the action is at the end.
It was around -18.
The next time I mount it to a board, the mount will have liberal amounts of magic silver tape around it.
Another idea I've pondered on is use the big plastic mount it comes on in the packaging and epoxy it onto the board/skis. Use the epoxy you would use on ptex patch repairs so the temp won't affect.
snow report
Danrawlo wrote:
paid £100, so saved myself about £50 from the HD, it takes AAA batteries, so thats not a problem, will look at getting a bigger SD card though cheers Smile

If you can get the money back do, the HD is definitely worth more than £50 more.
snow report
If you read the small print GoPro say you shouldnt ski your mounts onto a ski or baord directly. Every time the ski slexes it will pull at the sticky pad, does make sned as the clip wont flex like the ski does
snow conditions
Good reading. Will be using my GoPro for the first time skiing next week. Any advice? Made a couple of MTB vids with mates but never skiing. Got the chesty mount, helmet mount and was planning on sorting out a pole too. Also hoping to use it on a ski... so the above notes have been useful!

Tethers - are they home made or can you buy them?

Can you easily stick it on a ski pole or is it too narrow?

Here is a MTB vid of us riding Snowdon. The nice editing is not me, thats a friend!

Snowdon April 2011 from Composite
http://vimeo.com/23217718
snow report
Snapzzz, How much effort required in the editing of that sort of video? Not something I've ever done before but the end result looks good. Cool
snow report
Snapzzz, cool vid.
ski holidays
I found a go pro in the 3 valleys last week. It had unstuck it's self from the helmet. The sticky pad was still a bit stick despite being covered in snow for 2 months.

Camera still works, just not as good as it should. I will get round to putting some footage on YouTube from the memory card, to see if I can get it back to it's owner.
snow report
mr black, hmm. I wonder at the modern trend for quite interesting video being marred by an appalling sound track. As a frequent walker of Snowdon in the 80s, my respects to the bikers, though - particularly for that climb.
ski holidays
I've done a number of snow & board camera mounts using Quiver Killer bindings inserts & they're totally secure but removable in a few seconds Cool
snow conditions
achilles, ha ha. Well, try and define musical taste/quality eh?
latest report
And yes, the climb was a killer. Dont think I managed to ride more than about 30-40% of it.
snow report
Grizwald wrote:
Snapzzz, How much effort required in the editing of that sort of video? Not something I've ever done before but the end result looks good. Cool

I had my first attempt at this a couple of weeks back using Windows Movie Maker.

Very first time I'd used it (with no previous experience of video editing) and it took me a couiple of hours to produce a 10min video from about 30mins worth of footage.

The editing (video and music) is very easy (at least with WMM) despite the fact that I had several sources with various resolutions.
So the time consuming stuff, and the skill to make the video watchable, is to whittle down all your footage to the best bits and then putting all this together so you don't bore your audience to death...

I was quite proud of my first effort, but after seeing it a few times now , I think I should have cut even more of the initial footage..
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy