Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Clusaz feb 2012

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just back from a family trip to La Clusaz, thought I'd document a few bits and bobs for the benefit of anyone doing the same next year.

Went by Train to Annecy. On the way out we had to get a taxi up to the resort (it's about 30mins) because we were too late for the bus. Fare was 95 euro for 5 of us. Bus back (booked through altibus website) was 8 euro each. We used allotaxi who were fine and communicated swiftly via email and were perfectly efficient.

Stayed in Les Granges apartments booked independently though aravis immoblier (though there are a number of other agencies and owners available via the La Clusaz websire). Main advantage of this particularly block was the location - just over the road from the Bossonet drag lift which made it possible to get pretty much right back home on Piste and use either the drag or the ski bus stops to get into the skiing. La Clusaz is not particularly ski-in/out, so some care and map studying is required if this is important to you.

Weather and snow was fantastic (as I'm sure it was through most of this part of France). Although there is some good high skiing (La Balme has a number of runs from 2000-2500m) there is a lot of enjoyable skiing much lower down (1300-1800m) that could well get a bit mushy in less perfect conditions. This would be a shame as the skiing over the resort is enjoyably varied with trees, open pisted, hig bowls and plenty of off piste. The slightly scattered nature of the ski areas (which are loosely linked) means that there seems more skiing than the yardage would suggest. We found that it wasn't necessary to extend to the area pass which also covered Grand Bornard. It's been a while since I last skied a few 'real' black runs (there are 3 or 4 of decent length scattered across the resort) which haven't been beaten to death by the pistenbullies on a daily basis. A bit of an eye opener for the kiddies who are used to cruising down blacks which have barely a mark on them.

None of it was particularly busy (UK half term but only 1 french area off) except for getting out of the two main town lifts at peak times. Pistes were not too busy except the main piste down the front of the hill which is v. popular with ski schools etc. We found using the excellent ski bus service to get to further flung lifts to be the best way to get going at busy times.

The town is pleasantly bustling and reasonably attractive with a wide range of shops/restos/bars. Plenty of stuff available for self caterers (butchers doing the pre-prepared meals and roast chickens etc as well as take out pizzas etc)

We used aravis challenge for a couple of lessons and some off piste guiding. There are a number of other similar outfits as well as the ESF. I selected on the scientific basis that they were the ones who were most efficient at answering emails ! They were fine, good english and not just going through the motions.

All in all, an excellent place to ski if the weather is good (ie cold !)

Oh, there's also some really good cross country skiing available too in two different areas. Well worth a go for a day or so - improves your downhill skiing more than you might expect !!

d
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy