Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why do you need ski insurance ?

Poster: A snowHead
snowmum123, very true we had a client staying at our Chalet and had a collision with a woman unfortunately she came of worse with Broken ribs and a collapsed lung and had to be Air lifted of the mountain, luckily both parties had Insurance and the case was still on going when the family re-visited the following year Shocked , if he wasn't insured I wouldn't of liked to have foot the bill !! Shocked

The Misses is back from her operation from Albertville, as we are seasonaires this was a walk in and didnt have to be lifted of the mountain and was all done with the EHIC card, the following costs
Doctor to write letter for MRI 20 euros
MRI 69 euros
Leg consultation for operation 46 euros
operation 176 euros
To release her from the Hospital 18 euros (was hesitant!!!! Smile )

All in all I think thats bloody cheap even if you have no insurance and all done in a matter of 2 weeks!!!!!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

All in all I think thats bloody cheap

Indeed. An MRI for 69 euros is the bargain of the year. A single filling can cost a lot more than that in the UK dentist.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yeah definitely - A mere x-ray in the private resort doctors cost me €75!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
you couldn't make it up
No one would believe you

Colin B wrote:
Was that the guy who broke his leg last week in several places on his birthday? Friend of a friend.

I went to visit him in Tione hospital yesterday and it turns out that your mate of a mate also didn't have any insurance.
Puzzled
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wayne, why oh why oh why !!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

why oh why oh why !!!

because they're eejits. No other explanation.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Last Feb ,I injured my knee skiing in Davos and used my EHIC card for all the treatment at state GP practice and city hospital.The care was exellent, I had to pay small amounts for GP,MRI scan but claimed them all back from the insurance(BMC),who were really good.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was back at the doctor yesterday for a follow up appointment and I asked him how much the € 50 emergency exam and X ray would have been if I didn't have an EHIC card. He looked at me slightly bemusedly, then pointed to the price list on the wall and said, "this is what you pay me whether you are French, European or from anywhere in the world - you pay me this, and then you can claim back the money from your national security or your insurance if you have it." So he's a private doctor but affiliated to the social security system which therefore limits the amount he can charge people. Think I'm finally, just about, maybe starting to understand how this malarkey works Embarassed
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My OH lived in Rouen (N France) for a year and she's owed about €800 by the medical system - it's free, but you pay upfront then claim it back from social security after the event.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
bobmcstuff, presumably from her doctor rather than from the hospital where your EHIC can be used to stop you needing to pay in advance if I understand cockofthenorth,'s experience properly?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Presumably. I'm not too sure of the ins and outs because it was well before I was with her. She did try to get it back once but it required going into the office with 12 different types of ID and seven year's bank statements and so on and so forth in a typical over-complicated French beaurocratic system, and they're extra mean to English people so she never managed it.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bobmcstuff wrote:
they're extra mean to English people so she never managed it.

Laughing sure they are.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

"this is what you pay me whether you are French, European or from anywhere in the world

You mean they don't dish it out free of charge to all-comers like they do in the UK?!!..... shame on them........and then we all ponder over why the NHS is broke?!!

Mmmmm...... our NHS would likely need a few dozen conference calls, and Project Management teams to obtain some high level stats/ KPI's so they could report back to the Trust Managers on how to measure it!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
and here's another recent example...

http://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/whistler/brit-left-with-at-least-60000-in-medical-bills-after-fall-on-blackcomb-glacier/Content?oid=2286432

snowmum123 wrote:
So far, almost everyone seems to have been concentrating on covering their own medical/rescue costs. I suspect these pale into insignificance compared with the potential amounts if someone else was injured and decided to sue you. Obviously, we all try to ski safely but can you honestly say you've never had a near miss? We see insurance as an essential and would never ski without it.

This is an interesting point. I don't have travel/ski insurance now as I'm covered by BC MSP when skiing here, but that only covers my medical costs (got to try it out a few weeks back rolling eyes). Not sure annual travel insurance would cover me for local ski trips... hmmm
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wayne, Ouch, never met him myself.
snow conditions
Can anyone suggest a good reason for not simply relying on a combination of the EHIC and the worldwide rescue/emergency medical/repatriation cover provided by the Austrian Alpine Club (included in the membership for less than £50 per year)?

If the only answer that anyone can come up with is that you wouldn't be covered for flight cancellation and loss of baggage, it seems to me that this combination may be worth considering for anyone who does a lot of skiing and would find the usual travel insurance annual maximum of 17 or 21 days winter sports too restrictive.
latest report
My bank account includes travel insurance, so I go belt and braces, Carre Neige + EHIC + Bank Travel Insurance. If I think that I might go off piste I add an insurance that covers this, this year it was SCGB. This may seem over the top, but Murphy's law says it is the year that I don't have insurance when I have an accident! Relative to the cost of the trip insurance is not very expensive.
snow conditions
Tatman's Tours wrote:
Can anyone suggest a good reason for not simply relying on a combination of the EHIC and the worldwide rescue/emergency medical/repatriation cover provided by the Austrian Alpine Club (included in the membership for less than £50 per year)?

If the only answer that anyone can come up with is that you wouldn't be covered for flight cancellation and loss of baggage, it seems to me that this combination may be worth considering for anyone who does a lot of skiing and would find the usual travel insurance annual maximum of 17 or 21 days winter sports too restrictive.

I think that combo is fine for Europe and rely on that myself

I have a trip to a more remote place coming up and came to the conclusion that some of the levels of cover offered by the AAC may be a little low if I needed a full blown medevac
ski holidays
 cran
cran
+1

I just have EHIC + carte neige, after looking into what benefits extra insurance actually provides (for what I need) I don't see any point in having anything more.
snow report
Another emergency medical repatriation option is German ADAC breakdown cover which offers this included in their policy. wink
snow report
cran, I suppose the only problem is if you had hospital bills in, say, France taking you over € 19,000 before they could repatriate you (i.e. EHIC picks up 80% of French hospital costs, CN picks up remaining 20% but with a limit of € 3800 medical for a non-French resident).

Or have I still not got the hang of it... rolling eyes
ski holidays
What if you crash into someone and they sue you?
snow conditions
bobmcstuff, CN covers you for liability.
ski holidays
Quote:

I just have EHIC + carte neige, after looking into what benefits extra insurance actually provides (for what I need) I don't see any point in having anything more.

Have a read then decide .

http://www.natives.co.uk/news/2004/10/16cart.htm
latest report
My question above seems to have triggered another debate about the efficacy of Carte Neige, which, as I understand it, is quite limited in scope and confined to France and countries bordering France. I've just obtained the worldwide cover provided by the AAC for less than £40 and am now seriously considering whether it's worth
bothering at all with conventional travel insurance.
latest report
Tatman's Tours The AAC cover seems to cover you for what it covers you for. Only you can decide if it covers you for what you want to be covered for.
snow conditions
Tiger2, True - just wondering what others thought (based on their knowledge and experience) about its scope and adequacy (in combination with the EHIC) in Europe. The decision I eventually make will no doubt be informed by any such opinions and experiences. I'm also curious to know how the AAC cover compares to CN and why (if CN is more limited) anyone would want it.
snow conditions
Tatman's Tours, having read the leaflet it looks pretty good to me.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tatman's tours - in France, CN has the benefit of convenience. if you are stretchered off the mountain you just give them your policy number and that's the end of it. no need to pay up front and claim back off the insurer
snow conditions
Must sort new insurance before next week.
snow report
Arno, Yes, I can see that paying for that convenience, as opposed to enhanced cover, is something that may be worthwhile if skiing in France.
Tiger2, That's what I thought - if only it extended to missed flights (after my somewhat stressful experience getting to Salzburg last Saturday!) I think I'd be happy to stick with it without further deliberation.
snow conditions
Hells Bells, If you find a nice, cheap policy that covers up to say 3 months skiing per year, do please let me know! Smile
ski holidays
I actually have two 'free' policies, one with each of our current accounts, one has 31 days skiing included, the other is no good at just 17, but neither cover us for skiing off-piste without a guide.
latest report
Carte Neige says it's valid worldwide for all sorts of skiing and then in Europe for mountain biking and hiking (or worldwide if it's part of an activity organised through an affiliated club).
snow report
So is it possible to by Carte Neige for a season on it's own ?
snow report
AndAnotherThing.., yes, it's the Carre Neige that's attached to your liftpass
ski holidays
Hells Bells, same here - I supplement it with AAC which covers off piste, touring etc
ski holidays
 cran
cran
jean claude mont blanc wrote:
Quote:

Have a read then decide .

http://www.natives.co.uk/news/2004/10/16cart.htm

Yeah, I've read that... I don't need extra insurance... CN/EHIC covers what I need.

Other people may need more, e.g. for getting back to the UK, baggage/cancellation, help translating French forms or whatever... but I don't.

I'm not saying don't get insurance, just that there's no point paying for it if it doesn't give you any significant benefits, and that depends on your circumstances and your judgement of what is worth having covered.
snow conditions
cran, as said before, as long as your hospital bills don't go over €19,000 at which point you will have to pay (unless you are resident in France and have a mutuelle etc.) Given that this thread started with a bill of £26k (although that did of course include repatriation and rescue), it is worth thinking about. My dad had a severe stroke - no known pre-existing condition - in his late 40s in Colorado and was unable to leave for 6 months. I dread to think what the medical cost would have been without insurance. Even in Europe with your EHIC picking up much of the tab, that sort of care doesn't come cheap.
snow report
miranda, So it's not resort dependent ? But you have to buy it with a pass ?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy