Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why do you need ski insurance ?

Poster: A snowHead
pam w, another benefit on not relying on your EHIC is that with an insurance company some one will liaise wit the medics, book taxis if you can't transfer to the airport normally, book extras seats on the aircraft if required, book someone to drive you home, pay for your car's recovery from the airport (or at least that was snowcard was prepared to do for me).
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

An EHIC card is more use for scraping the ice off the car window

Funnily enough that is exactly what I used one for just before leaving the ski resort on Friday morning. Had the card on me as youngest son woke up with a stiff neck (Torticollis) and got taken to medical centre earlier in the week. EHIC card was a waste of wallet space and will be claiming the very reasonable costs back on medical insurance.

I dread to think of the paperwork required to recover the €5.80 medicine cost and the €28 consultation fee from the NHS. With the insurance provider I only have to scan the receipts in and email them across.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam...i agree that you need to call asap but when you are stretchered to the medical centre and then treated then asked for payment the last thing on your mind is calling the insurance company. I called the next day and hopefully this will suffice. I guess its different if you are recommended that you need hospitalisation - perhaps then you need ot call insurance company. I am sending all paperwork tomorrow so will let you know if all costs are recovered. !
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

EHIC card was a waste of wallet space and will be claiming the very reasonable costs back on medical insurance.

some insurers waive their excess if you have an EHIC card. Your 33.80 would be less than the excess on most travel insurances I've had (our current one is 50 euros per incident/illness.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Don't forget EHIC cards expire by the way! Only thought to check the other day, turns it had had expired well over a year (and several trips) ago!!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
On the subject of skidoo or sledge evac of the hill, there does seem to be a lot of difference between resorts. Some charge some don't but I personally think that evac off the hill should be covered by default by the lift pass.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My neighbour was taken from Les Gets to hospital in Sallanches by ambulance and then back again later the same day the other year - it was 400 euros each way and had to be paid in cash.

They then had a friend taken down to Thonon hospital by ambulance last year - that time the ambulance took a credit card.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In Switz your EHIC card works like majic.

I was helicoptered to Sion Hospital..."EHIC card?"..."My wife will bring it later"..."OK, that is done then"

The EHIC card paid 99% of the bill, no involvement required from us at all after showing it.

It seems that it does not have the same effect in France as most skiers get taken to private hospitals or doctors, via private ambulances.
You could insist on a state ambulance, and request a state hospital....would that make the EHIC card work, and would that avoid the blatent extortion like Pamski describes in the post above this?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rungsp, does make you wonder what happens to the cash doesn't it - although I am sure they had a receipt for insurance purposes.

I shouldn't really be posting this on here as he wasn't skiing but hurt his back when turning very slight moving some logs at the chalet! Couldn't ski though for the rest of the season. As they had left the chalet he asked his wife to take the 500 euros that they keep for emergencies, and then she had to stop at a cashpoint in Taninges on the way back when she was told how much it was going to be.

Our son was in hospital in Kufstein in Austria quite a few years ago, had pneumonia, and we just gave our insurance details and the E111, as it was in those days, and didn't ever see a bill at all. Brilliant treatment too.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

we just gave our insurance details and the E111, as it was in those days, and didn't ever see a bill at all.

that's often the case in France as well, but only, I suspect, if you have pretty foolproof proof of your insurance - it was the reason DogTag does DogTags, I think.

We always carry a little laminated card with our insurance details on but they are obviously home-made and might not be accepted as proof. "Just in case", and to be sure of getting off the mountain even if the OH had a heart attack (which isn't covered on our health insurance) we also have Carte Neige.

My daughter in law was stretchered off the mountain in Les Gets. I got back to the chalet to find an ambulance outside the door - it had brought her back from the clinic, where she'd been put in a full leg thing. She'd been given that, and told to go to the pharmacy to pay for a new one for their stock. I went out, did that, rang the insurance company, got some sort of reference, and that was that. When I got back to the chalet I found the resort rep, who had heard aboutthe accident and come round to see we were OK. She was all ready to sort things out, and was a bit surprised to find I'd already done it - it hadn't occurred to me to expect her to do it. I paid "on the day" for the leg brace, and claimed that back from the insurance. That was Snowcard. Subsequently she and my son were shifted from the TO flight onto a scheduled British air flight to Bristol with private ambulance both ends.

We didn't pay anything (except the excess) but I suspect the insurance company paid a packet. I don't remember what, if anything, was discussed about the EHIC (E112?).

I gather from previous discussions that a lot of private health companies in France, and no doubt Austria too, got stuck with a lot of bad debt when patients turned out not to have insurance after all, or when the insurance company declined the claim (they were off piste, they were drunk, they hadn't had authorisation for their procedure, it wasn't an emergency, it was a pre-existing condition, etc etc etc etc). So they have got tougher. Can't blame them really, I suppose.

As I said earlier, someone expecting to be carried in a private ambulance or treated in a BUPA hospital in the UK would get short shrift, waving some piece of foreign paper around.

I think if you get carted around by the pompiers, it's state-provided, and free. How did your friend arrange his transport to hospital after he hurt his back? Might be some useful lessons there. I suppose even in England, if we were ill and phoned a private ambulance to take us to hospital, it would be super-expensive.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Why have CN if you have travel insurance?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ray Zorro, hope you are well Smile one look at the CN if you need to be lifted off the hill then they wont bother you for other means of payments ie CC. ok if you dont have the CN then they would charged your CC and you would claim of travel insurance but for 2.5 euros a day its worth having the CN. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
By the wat the misses will be havin her op as we speak !!! in Albertville - key hole on the miniscus, and all on the EHIC wink will let you know more when I pick her up later today
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cockofthenorth, good thanks - and hope you are having a great season Very Happy

CN for a family of 5 comes in at €75 for a 6 ski-day week, which is almost as much again as the insurance.

CN also only relates to France.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rungsp, French state healthcare isn't free you pay about 20-30% for most things, but you can cover that with private insurance. State ambulances are run by the fire service for road traffic accidents and similar, I don't think you would have the option of a state one for a ski accident.
ski holidays
Ray Zorro, yep it all adds up, but one way round it would be to buy 1 CN which is printed on the lift pass, if you are a group skiing together all week and you have a fallen skiier then put the lift pass with the CN on it in the skiiers pocket wink
snow conditions
hi, can anyone find the breakdown of costs for the Carre Neige as I cant seem to find them on the website

thanks
ski holidays
Ray Zorro wrote:

No it doesn't. CN applies in France and all bordering countries.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 22-02-12 11:15; edited 1 time in total
snow report
snow_badger, you can "download the contract" on the website homepage.

cockofthenorth, hope it goes really well for her!
snow report
thank you for the information miranda
snow conditions
Wayne wrote:

Get a business class seat (so you have enough room for you and your new pot)

Or, like me, a private plane with only myself, a doctor and 2 flight crew on board Very Happy

With regards to EHIC, it made no difference to the bill in the little private doctor's surgery in resort (Champagny), but I got a substantial (80% IIRC) discount on the hospital bill (Moutiers).

The good thing about the insurance is that once I was in hospital I got in touch with them and they got an assistance company involved, who sorted everything else out for me and removed a lot of the stress.

I didn't have CN or my insurance docs on me and I didn't get charged for piste rescue upfront (insurance paid it when I was back in UK). One of the French speaking reps from the company I worked for met me and may have sorted that out for me, I don't really know.
latest report
Raceplate wrote:
Ray Zorro wrote:

No (unless you are meaning international resorts like La Ros or PDS), and it doesn't even apply to all of France. You can only buy a CN in Savoie or Hte Savoie regions. http://www.carreneige.com/accueil.html
snow report
cockofthenorth, hope all goes well for C's op later today. snowHead I also hope that her injury doesn't mean that you're doing the cooking for your guests!
latest report
backhojo, almost all ski resort medical facilities are private. However, if you need more significant treatment, you will likely end up in the nearest hospital. This will almost certainly be state-run and your EHIC will cover around 70% of costs.

e.g. if you break your leg in Val d'Isere, you'll end up in the hospital in Bourg Saint Maurice.
snow conditions
Ray Zorro wrote:
Raceplate wrote:
Ray Zorro wrote:

No (unless you are meaning international resorts like La Ros or PDS), and it doesn't even apply to all of France. You can only buy a CN in Savoie or Hte Savoie regions. http://www.carreneige.com/accueil.html

No, sorry but you're wrong.

Quote from CN pdf file:

"Carré Neige offers you the entire Insurance and Assistance coverage package described below. This
coverage applies for the whole duration of your ski pass. This coverage applies to
metropolitan France and its bordering countries during the amateur practice of a
snow sport."

I have regularly bought season CNs. They're good value at EUR 45-50 depending where you buy it from and they give discount to seasonnaires. I don't have a full policy to hand but it used to be all of Europe, it looks like they have now changed the wording to 'bordering countries' so I guess not Austria. I also checked it with the tourist office last time I bought one.

I'm also pretty sure you can buy a season CN online via the local ski club or tourist office.
ski holidays
stevomcd wrote:
backhojo, almost all ski resort medical facilities are private. However, if you need more significant treatment, you will likely end up in the nearest hospital. This will almost certainly be state-run and your EHIC will cover around 70% of costs.

e.g. if you break your leg in Val d'Isere, you'll end up in the hospital in Bourg Saint Maurice.

Yes was 80% for me.

I ended up in Moutiers having injured myself above Champagny (backside of La Plagne) and was in a ward with a guy who'd injured himself in Couchevel.
ski holidays
pam w, if its me and my friend
Quote:

How did your friend arrange his transport to hospital after he hurt his back? Might be some useful lessons there. I suppose even in England, if we were ill and phoned a private ambulance to take us to hospital, it would be super-expensive.

They had called the local medical centre as he couldn't move. Doc came up to the chalet to see him and said he would need to go to the hospital and I suppose the doc organised the ambulance as he couldn't travel by car.
ski holidays
I had a walk-in (or rather hobble in) appointment at a medical centre a few weeks ago, where the exam and X-Ray came to € 50. I have insurance so hadn't even thought about whether it was state or private - it was just the nearest place but I guess they applied the EHIC price anyway and my insurance will pick up the balance. So there are some in-resort places where EHIC makes a difference but it does sound like they are a definite minority. I notice there is also a local transport service 7 days a week and covering all distances, offering "transportation sanitare agréé par la sécurité Sociale" so I guess your EHIC would make a difference with that too. But as people have said, if you get shipped off to a major hospital, you'll get the state service meaning the EHIC will be very handy.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Raceplate, I have spoken to the contact number given and they have confirmed that the CN works alongside your lift pass so only covers you at the resort(s) covered by your pass. If you bought a season 3V pass it would only cover you in the 3V and wouldn't even cover you if you skied in Chamonix, let alone another country.
latest report
Raceplate, Ray Zorro, My OH as a season CN for Paradiski, but when he went to Chamonix for a week, he asked the lady in the skipass office, & she was quite happy that CN would cover him there as well. Fortunately it wasn't tested!
snow report
Is this the difference between Carte and Carre Neige? Carre Neige is directly linked to your lift pass, whereas the Carte Neige a season insurance and is possibly the one that covers you in different places? I have a feeling Lizzard is going to be looking at this thread and feeling Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad as I'm sure I've seen her try to explain this in the past!
ski holidays
All holders of a FFS Carte Neige Licence are insured for Public Liability and for Defence against claims in respect of the guaranteed activities defined below.

The guarantees of the Primo, Loisirs and Performance options are valid worldwide in the event of personal injury as a result of amateur activities such as:

• all forms of skiing (except the cross-country option **) and, in particular, including but not limited to, alpine skiing, cross-country skiing, Biathlon, ski jumping, Nordic combined, freestyle skiing, snowboarding, Telemark, speed skiing, grass skiing, rollerskiing, ski trekking and raquettes.
• additional sports covered:
- mountain biking in Europe only,
- walking, including hiking in Europe only and worldwide that are activities organised by affiliated clubs.
• the carrying out of other activities as part of a federation, even if such activities are not wholly sporting activities and, in particular:
- physical activities that are monitored or supervised by the FFS, its regional organisations and clubs or any other person appointed by the FFS, except those excluded
for contractual reasons,
- sports and various activities organised collectively by, and under the responsibility of, an association or a group affiliated to the FFS except those excluded for contractual reasons. Under no circumstances can participation in official competitions that are organised by a sporting federation other than a ski federation be guaranteed.

But if you're not a French resident, then they only pay € 3800 max to cover what the EHIC/private insurance won't pay with regard to medical.
latest report
Ray Zorro wrote:
cockofthenorth, hope all goes well for C's op later today. snowHead I also hope that her injury doesn't mean that you're doing the cooking for your guests!

Its all under control !! wink Smile
snow report
A few reasons for having CN and travel insurance. Most significantly, my OH has serious health problems which are excluded from travel insurance as they are pre-existing. If he had a heart attack at the top of the mountain, which is actually not that unlikely, I'd be glad of CN! Also, of course, because there is no quibble about whether you are on or off piste - we don't ski much off piste at all, but it's much the most likely place for me to have a nasty knee accident.

My CN is not linked to my lift pass at all.

CN wouldn't cover big medical bills, as someone has posted out.
latest report
Pamski, will your friends insurance pick up the ambulance bill? I suppose if the doctor knew they were well-insured expats, he whistled in the quickest service. I wonder what he would do for a hard up French person?
snow conditions
pam w FYI that "transportation sanitare agréé par la sécurité Sociale" is in Flumet.
snow report
pam w, yes I am sure they had it paid by insurance - it was about 3 years ago.
snow conditions
Quote:

no travel insurance = no cover for travel-related issues such as cancellation, missed flights/connections

Doesn't even cover you for that. Just back from Les Arc, travelling with friends by car. Car broke down (failed clutch) and I missed my connection back to Aberdeen (train from cambridge where my freinds live). I've just phoned direct travel and I'm not covered for the cost of having to purchase a new rail ticket for my return - bummers.
snow conditions
I should clearly read the policy terms more carefully - I was only covered for flight connections, so as I was travelling by car and train no cover!
ski holidays
So far, almost everyone seems to have been concentrating on covering their own medical/rescue costs. I suspect these pale into insignificance compared with the potential amounts if someone else was injured and decided to sue you. Obviously, everyone tries to ski safely but can any of us honestly say they've never had a near miss? We see insurance as an essential and would never ski without it.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 25-02-12 11:00; edited 1 time in total
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy