Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2 Alps, Alps d'huez, La Plagne?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

Been looking for a late March deal and the three resorts mentioned look to have fairly good deals on at the moment.

Can anyone recommend one over the other? Not overly bothered about a lively apres, just want some decent snow/skiing really.

I'm a decent skiier and my partner is intermediate.

Anyone got other suggestions apart from those 3? Paso tonale? Just a bit concerned leaving it a bit late in the season, want somewhere with decent snow!

Thanks in advance.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've not been to La Plagne but have been to Alpe D'Huez (twice) and Les Deux Alpes (several times). I like them both and they would suit but at that time I'd go for Les Deux Alpes, Alpe D'Huez is mainly south facing and can suffer.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've been to all three - well we stayed in Les Arcs, but skied in La Plagne while we were there.

L2A and ADH we went early in the season, Les Arcs/Plagne late in the season (early April).

Each of them are big areas, so plenty to choose from, each also has the ability to go high to ski if needed (shouldn't be too big a problem this seasoN). I think AdH has fewer and tougher runs up quite as high as L2A and La Plagne. As Colin say's AdH is south facing so can get slushier earlier.

I'd be erring towards L2A and La Plagne, but would be happy to go back to all three.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Based on the experience of visiting 2 to 3 times in each I would go for Alps D'Huez (250km piste). L2A(220km piste) is a bit smaller and less in the variety of runs. La Plagne (225km piste) is too busy for my liking but may be OK for late March and possibly wins when there is a lack of snow in France, as both Bellecote and Plagne Centre are around 1900-200m level and higher than ADH and L2A which did not have all the bottom runs open (due to poor snow cover) in more than one visit.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Went to L2A early March last year, some of our fellow chale guests went to ADH on a day trip, quite slushy in places. Lower slopes n L2A weren't good either, but those that went to ADH thought it worse than L2A in that respect.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jocrad, +1 for L2A over ADH for spring. ADH slopes are mainly south facing and gets much more slushy. Saying that I prefer the ski area of ADH to L2A.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
i wouldn't worry too much about snow conditions in any of those places during March. last season was exceptionally bad
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Definately La Plagne for late, AdH snow gets dicey late - too south facing, and L2A and I have never got along - I find it very cramped feeling, nothing like the 200k plus they claim.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
a.j.,
Quote:

I find it very cramped feeling, nothing like the 200k plus they claim

+1 I also feel L2A isn't as big as it claims.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
saikee, me too. Think a lot of those km are identical side by side pistes on the glacier.

Arno, I have been to L2A in a 'normal' snow year in mid march and friends who went over to ADH for the day saidi t was totally slush... if its sunny its sluhy. Being there this year before Christmas it was super cold for 5 days. On the 6th day it warmed up and boy did that place melt quickly! Well not exactly 'melt' away but turnd mounds of powder into very wet and heavy snow, and a bit slushy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kat.ryb, well I am happily planning a trip to ADH mid-late April so YMMV. the runs immediately surrounding the resort do catch the sun, but there are huge areas which are not S facing (eg the whole of the Oz and Vaujany sectors) and hold snow very well
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
They are all good resorts and I'm sure you will have a great time and good extensive skiing at any of them.

I agree with the other posters L2A is noticably smaller than the other two (you can easily ski it out in a couple of days) but it does go high (open all year round) with corresponding snow quality up top and accesses La Grave if that is your thing.

La Plagne is about the same size as AdH, but accesses a much bigger area factoring in the link to Les Arcs, up top there is a glacier too so snow there will be fine, though lower down (Montchavin / Champagny) I have puddle hopped in March. Also some of the key lifts (e.g. belle plagne to roche de mio gondola) can attract queues from time to time.

Out of the three AdH is my favourite, it's big with a great mix of terrain, it tops out at over 3000m so the snow up there isn't a worry, and as Arno points out neither is the snow in the Oz-Vaujany valley. However looking across the whole resort and comparing it to the other two I reckon it is the one more likely to suffer with deteriorating snow. Though overall you are much more likely to get good snow than not.

Hope that is of use.

L
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy