Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites - so much to do, so little time!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Everybody,

Just planning my trip to Canazei on the 3rd March. I've never been but the other 2 in the party have and we thought with area being so big we should have an idea of where we want to go before hand or we could do a lot of wasting time in the mornings etc. My question to you all is - is San Pelegrino worth a vist? The list below is where we are considering:

Arabba / Marmolada (in 1 day)
the area between Canazei and Selva
Hidden Valley + other in pm
San Pelegrino
Cinque Torri am + other pm (Cortina?)

btw - we have a car if that helps

Thanks in advance

Gary
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Gaz, We went to Canazei end of Jan, so can offer some advice, although it was my first trip there and i'm sure you'll get better advice from peole who only go to the Dolomites. Arabba/Marmolada is a good choice, and you won't need the car for that, but it will be a long day and quite a lot of walking (particularly from one lift in Arabba to the other). Canazei to Selva is doable in an hour, so you could add some extra bits onto this such as: Sasslong (Mens Downhill WC Course). Start your watch at the top and see how long how it takes you to get down, then look at how long it took the pro's (Bode Miller) to do it in, puts things into perspective. I managed it in about 9 mins. Then get the funicular on to Orteisi (probably spelt wrong), as the reds here are great fun (La Longa is 10k). Stop and have a coffee at the restaurant at the top of the hill directly outside the funicular, spectaular scenary. There and back, with Sasslong done twice, 2 coffee breaks and 45 min lunch will take you most of the day. Hidden valley is along windy journey, and IMO for not much gain, but might be worth it if you have a late morning and want to avoid the Belvadere queues. Didn't do SP, so can't comment. Cortina is quite nice, and easier to get to in a car, if you want to give your legs an easy day as all the slopes we skiied were 'cruisy' runs. Corvara (once off the SR) is nice as well. Be warned though, the long flat blue back to Canazei from Anti-clockwise SR is pain, and the lift queues and pistes on the SR get cut up by mid-day. My advice, use the SR to get around, but ski the pistes off the SR, and do Sasslong. If you beat my time down the saslong, don't tell me, let me live the dream!!!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Puzzled
Canazei to Arabba/Marmolada (and back) won't need that walk, unless you go around the Sella Ronda the "wrong" way. Of course it is possible to do Marmolada and a full loop in a day, which would need 1 walk across Arabba.

No idea about San Pellegrino and other outlying areas, but want to do some of those next year. Still got 7 of 12 maps to collect.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I did san pelegrino/falcade for a day last year during a trip to Predazzo (it's easily done). It was a really sunny day with good snow, so opinion is obviously coloured...

Anyway, the san pelegrino skiing is mainly to one side of a high pass (1800m) and consists of a number of lifts going up and a number of pistes coming back down. Lovely wide cruising runs, but not especially varied. It's wide open, so lovely on a sunny day, but grim as grim if the weather is poor.

The linked area of Falcade (there is a cable car which goes up to the opposite side of the pass) is more interesting with runs and lifts in a few different directions. Trees further down as well.

The scenery is as lovely as you would imagine in the dolomites.

There is a particularly enjoyable long blue down from the top of falcade area to a small hamlet with a lovely lunch spot at passo valles.

If that seems like damning with faint praise, then it's not meant to. We had a really fantastic day there.

There is also a nice looking high altitude cross country ski area.

We were there at half term last year, and it wasn't at all busy (or Predazzo)

piste map here : http://skimap.org/data/2083/1/1259375613.jpg

I would add a couple of pictures, but I haven't the faintest idea how....

d
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy