Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

is chamonix in france?

Poster: A snowHead
we fly to Geneva airport which is in Switzerland and then drive an hour to chamonix which i think is then france, is this right?

Thank you for any response.

Tim
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
timbo88, Yes.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes it is.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
do you know if there will be a great deal of snow in chamonix at the end of march?

Also i presume unless im gonna buy anything at Geneva airport i will only need to have Euros as i will be in france?

Thank you so much Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
timbo88, Geneva airport is actually in Switzerland also in France! www.gva.ch -

Which side did you hire your car from?

You can also use web based services like www.maps.google.com to check routes etc.

You will also need either Euros in cash to pay the tolls, or a credit/debit card. Each toll is around 1.70-1.90€ or so but if you use a UK card it's likely that you will incur extra charges of £1.50 per transaction. IF so, this may be something that you would choose to avoid Puzzled
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
well that clears all the confusion up! Thanks alot.

Sorry i meant airport transfer so we wont be driving.

Any know if there's is a great deal of snow around the end of march in chamonix?

exciting stuff!!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chamonix is not in France, it was purchased little by little by the English over the past 30 years, it is now part of England.

Switzerland is a small country and thus will be happy to take any currency, at a price.

There will certainly be snow at the end of march but it's a little early to be precise as to the amount.

Welcome to snowheads.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
so chamonix is in england not france?!

Now im confused!!! Confused
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
timbo88, jbob is referring to the large numbers of Brits taking over property in Chamonix (lots of other foreigners too). Joke.

I agree with him that nobody can tell you how much snow there will be in Chamonix at the end of March. Also, "Chamonix" covers a huge range of altitude - the town itself is in the bottom of a deep valley and if it's been warm and dry for a few weeks there might be v little snow in the town. But there will be plenty up higher, unless it's a very unusual year. You don't expect to ski down to the town, a lot of the time - take lifts down.

The transfer might take a little more than an hour, if it's a busy day.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
timbo88, http://www.chamonix.com/welcome,0,en.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chamonix
http://maps.google.co.uk
these might help
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I cannot believe you're all taking this thread seriously
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dr John, I'm a kermit fan Embarassed
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Best thread title ever...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There's also a little corner of Chamonix, called Chambre Neuf, which is in Scandinavia and not to be missed!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Reminds me of the famous remark about Normandy being "temporarily in French hands" Very Happy
snow conditions
well thanks for all the info, its settled all the confusion, got some good tips and a laught too! Thanks everyone, seems the snow has really got to everyones head!

Tada for now snowheads Smile

Tim...........yet to eat snow for the first time soon.
snow report
errrmmm where is the Italian border?

I mean obviously if anyone challenges them they will run away but before they do where is it supposed to be? Puzzled
ski holidays
timbo88, sorry missed one for the weather http://www.snow-forecast.com/
ski holidays
Quote:

Why ever not? Did you know, the first time you went skiing, which country all the resorts were in? I certainly didn't and there are quite a few I'm still rather vague about, especially the swiss and Italian ones with French names, or Italian ones with German sounding names. It's quite confusing when you fly into one country and your resort is apparently in another.
latest report
marcellus, you raise a very interesting point. The boarder between France and Italy where it runs over mont blanc is in dispute, which may be unique in Western Europe. French maps show the boarder running over mont blanc de Courmayeur, Italian maps show the boarder running over the top of mont blanc itself, good job there is no oil up there.
snow report
marcellus wrote:
errrmmm where is the Italian border?

I mean obviously if anyone challenges them they will run away but before they do where is it supposed to be? Puzzled

Another interesting point, during the first world war the Italians were regarded as brave to the point of recklessness because of the number assaults they made.

Also is it better to continue fighting a hopeless case and be totally destroyed like the Germans, or ditch a failing leader and sue for peace like the Italians?
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Why ever not? Did you know, the first time you went skiing, which country all the resorts were in? I certainly didn't and there are quite a few I'm still rather vague about, especially the swiss and Italian ones with French names, or Italian ones with German sounding names. It's quite confusing when you fly into one country and your resort is apparently in another.

Can't say for sure that I know where all resorts are but you'd think that the OP might be capable of finding www.google.com/maps seeing as though he could find this forum. Think a quick web search would save asking such a simple (well....dim) question
snow conditions
jirac18, true, but if nobody ever asked a question they could answer for themselves with an internet search we'd not have much to talk about.
latest report
I was once telling a work colleague that the World Cup ski event was being held in Bormio. He seemed very surprised, until I realised he'd misheard and thought I'd said Borneo! Laughing
snow report
jirac18, And if we all used google to answer questions, there wouldn't be much of a forum would there?
snow conditions
pam w, great minds... Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy