Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone got experience/advice on Buffalo Clothing?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Seems like it does everything anyone could ever need although although admittedly they haven't splashed out in the design department.

Have to admit I'm tempted but can't get my head around not wearing anything under it. Fine for the ladies of Courcheval but for those of us who like to ski vertically too breezey shurely?

http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/

Like to hear if any sHs have used it.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Big Paua, MR HL has a buffalo top that he wears for winter cycling and also for skiing; he loves it - very windproof
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have a Montaine jacket and salopettes that are very similar but with a snugger cut befitting my long and (relatively) slender frame.

http://www.montane.co.uk/products/men/extreme

I've used them mostly for walking but have occasionally worn them skiing. They are warm - very warm - and great on well below zero days. I've mostly worn them with a thin thermal top but have also gone with just my underpants.

However, I rarely use them now. My propblem is their lack of flexibility. They're far too bulky to put in all but the largest of rucksacks so, once put on, they have to be worn all day. They breathe extremely well but if you start getting too hot then all you can do is start opening flaps - which can be chilly in parts. Also, they're not waterproof so, although they can tolerate quite an amount of rain, they'll eventually waterlog - which can be cold. An instructor once told me that he almost killed himself relying on such kit in wet weather.

Another alternative that is very popular with winter walkers in Scotland now is Paramo:
http://www.paramo.co.uk/en-gb/index.php

...rather more techy - and expensive!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I know a few people who love their Buffalo jacket thingies more dearly than their own children. For hill walking/running though not skiing.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I know lots of people who love it and swear by it for UK hill stuff.

Would not like to get it wet and get stuck overnight on an Alp or something or though. I prefer to stay dry.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Most squaddies swear by them - quality is good, rugged and they last - but usually used more for admin/down time than when being energetic.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
clarky999 wrote:
Would not like to get it wet and get stuck overnight on an Alp or something or though. I prefer to stay dry.

Its intended for situations where staying dry is a bit impractical. You'd dry quicker in pile/pertex clothes than you would in conventional 3-layer stuff. If there's no danger of you getting wet, then there are better materials to use.

I prefer Paramo meself. I use it just like a fleece and shell combo (or insulated salopettes) on it breathes better when I'm working hard but still does an excellent job keeping the rain out. Lasts longer than membrane waterproofs too, and is easier to repair. Pretty much ideal for +5 to -10 degrees to my mind... softshell and down when its cooler than that, microfleece and shell when its warmer.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Have used a Montane Extreme jacket for skiing, dog walking etc for the last 3 years. It covers a wide range of temperatures. Cost around 70 quid from ebay. I use mine with a long sleeve thermal underneath.

Downsides are:
no internal pockets for phone etc.
Doesn't cinch up around the neck as it is designed to be used with a hood rather than a helmet
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks all for the info.

Altis - Very helpful as I hadn't thought of the bulk factor. Interesting point - you commit to wearing Buffalo at the beginning of the day and either make it work for you or return to base.

Paramo - I've looked before but will now return to it with added interest.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Paramo stuff by Paramo themselves has a rather... eccentric fit. I can definitely recommend trying before buying. Other companies do use the same fabrics... Furtech, Finisterre and Cioch Direct sell stuff off the peg, and Hilltrek and Cioch Direct will do made to measure stuff.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I used a Bufallo top for about 15 years for kayaking. wore it under my dry cag when it was cold outside and never needed a base layer with it. Very warm and indestructable... well the old ones were anyway. Good bit of kit.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy