Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What to do?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Thanks for your replies everyone - I've had a bit of time to think about things although, as you can see, I can't sleep and I am still mulling things over in my mind.

I still don't know what to do. Here are my options:

1. I go to my Gran's funeral (which is want I want to do and its only right that I do go). Out of all her grandchildren, I was probably closest to her. If I do this, I have to forgo my holiday (such is life). Apart from anything, I need to give my mum support, both emotional and practical (my brother is in a wheelchair, so she needs me to help). The financial implication of this is that I lose all the money paid (insurance is not covering me - its a lot of money to lose). This option I just need to put down to (that's life).

2. I go on holiday as planned (and I really want to go - been looking forward to my ski holiday all year and I only go once a year). If I go, this would obviously mean that I cannot give my mum the support (as above) that she needs. I would also feel very bad about not going (although when in the mountains, I would probably think "I loved my Gran and have said goodbye to her and she would have wanted me to enjoy myself, so maybe I shouldn't feel guilty about not going to her funeral").

3. I could fly out on Tuesday into either Geneva or Turin and start my holiday late (this would cost me more money for a shorter time on the slopes and don't know if its worth it).

If I come across as heartless by thinking all of this, that is not my intention.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry to hear of your loss jb1970, Sad

Look up all the travel options for the Monday evening and Tuesday via Turin and Geneva (would have thought more choice via Geneva) and then look at the 3/4 day option.
Would they not let you change the holiday booking to another week?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jb1970, you have got to think about it and get it sorted. Option 3 seems the best solution and once you identify a flight and get it booked then you can get on with supporting your mum and then go and enjoy your shortened holiday.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
jb1970, Sorry to hear about your loss, Crying or Very sad

Option 3 sounds like the best solution, if you can find a cheap flight, then at least you can support all the family at the funeral, but still get a break away, even if it's cut short by a couple of days, you would still get 3-4 days away.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've looked at a few flights from Scotland into Geneva but they all get in quite late - i am going to see if Crystal can change me to another week but can't do that until I go back to work (I am on bereavement leave at the moment) and see the annual leave situation. I have a week booked for 17 March but want to make sure in case anything has changed.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jb1970, why don't you give work a call and see what they can organise for you?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi folks

I've decided what I am going to do. I am going to go to my Gran's funeral and will try and claim the lost money from my insurance. To be honest, even if the funeral was before I went away, I don't think I would be in the right frame of mind to go away anyway.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jb1970, good call. Hope you enjoy helping to give your Gran a great send-off. Also hope that you might be able to recoup at least some of the cost, though you've probably reached the view by now, that the money is unimportant in the general scheme of things.

There are plenty of weeks left in the season for you still to manage a trip to the mountains.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sorry to hear of your Gran dying Jb1970. My grandmother died at a similar age a few years ago and I would not have wanted to miss the funeral. If you are the eldest grandchild maybe you could speak about your happy memories of your grandmother during the service?

I think its unfortunate the funeral couldn't be arranged for a time when all family members could make it. Now the date is fixed I would send a grovelling email to Crystal asking if you could postpone your holiday. Mention you will not be able to claim on your insurance. If Crystal won't budge I would still try and fly out on Tuesdsay. It would be a shame to lose all your holiday.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jb1970, just had a thought on this. Did you pay for any of the holiday on your Credit Card? Credit cards quite often have better built in insurance policies than travel insurance itself... not saying it would pay out in this case, but worth asking questions if you did?

All the best
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
shoogly wrote:
jb1970, just had a thought on this. Did you pay for any of the holiday on your Credit Card? Credit cards quite often have better built in insurance policies than travel insurance itself... not saying it would pay out in this case, but worth asking questions if you did?

All the best

Sod's law - I didnt - I paid with my debit card. Phoned the bank and I am not covered.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jb1970, an awful dilemma to be in. I hope you at least manage some skiing this winter.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jb1970, I can't really add anything to the posts above, other than to send you a huge internet hug. Really feel for you, what a rotten time. Sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jb1970, have you checked the wording of your travel insurance policy? The only reason I ask is that I had a look at mine (annual insurance as part of a bank account package) to see what sort of cover I would have in your situation.

Mine would definitely cover cancellation for death or serious injury/illness to me, a travelling companion upon who my travel depends, a member of my immediate family, a business partner or a relative or friend in whose home I was intending to stay. Under definition of immediate family it says: partner, fiancé/e, parents, parents-in-law, step-parents, son, daughter, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, brother, sister, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, step-children, legal guardian, grandparents, grandchildren.

I think my policy is fairly standard, so I just urge you to check yours thoroughly. For what it's worth, if I was in your position, I would cancel if the insurance will pay out. If there's no insurance claim to be had, I'd find a few extra hundred quid and fly out as soon as possible after the funeral.

Good luck!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy