Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Favourite skiing food

Poster: A snowHead
damburton, that sort of thing would often be found as a plat du jour in the Alps - johnE is quite right, that's often the best (and cheapest) choice.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gulasch soup,grillteller,germknodel,2 beers and a flying hirsch !!
Good old Austrian fayre !!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
buffet is my fave food - skiing and other wise Toofy Grin

failing that, kobe beef (massaged, serenaded, blown, etc), either tartarred up to buggery or wafer thin & hot rocked as above, followed by sashimi & sushi yum yum, and failing that (as would only do it in Japan or MAYBE US) then it'd have to be any (both?!) of the plateau chateau specials at the 'Coe (if you can ski Scotland..... Shocked )

I'd be more interested in hearing folks favourite PACKED lunch food for skiing - still searching for the perfect combo/selection for touring/bc days
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sir Ronald McDonald.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Raclette for me Happy Okay, and Tartiflette. And Fondue. And.... It's okay when you're skiing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Arctic ration packs
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Gulasch soup
Tiroler Gröstl
Germknödel
Eaten in that order!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
my best lunch this season so far was sanglier (wild boar) with a myrtille sauce. I do agree that the cheese/ham combo palls after a while. I can do about one ham/cheese every two weeks, absolute max. The thought of having something like tartiflette (or equivalent) for lunch every day makes me feel quite queasy.

The plat du jour is almost always the best bet in the places we go to. For a cheap lunch, we share a "chicken wings and chips" - less than 6 euro, feeds two not-too-greedy people.

For picnics though, winter or summer, it is almost always sandwiches of thinly sliced Beaufort cheese and even thinner jambon cru. A crunchy apple and a bottle of beer. Just writing that takes me back to lunches spent sitting on rocks with my feet surrounded by wild flowers. Little Angel
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
French pre made baguettes are often disappointing as they are too simple and dry - where is the salad and Mayo?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good grief do you people go to ski or to eat? Pocket full of muesli bars and the odd gluhwein, it's fuel.
Eat to slide not slide to eat Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
robapplegate, Eat, drink, ski, play - it's my family jollies not an audition for some gnarly movie Smile
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Spyderman wrote:
4 fried Chickens and a Coke.

And some dry white toast. wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Shimmy Alcott, I'll certainly agree with the drink, ski, play bit. Gnarly movie? If only I was good enough Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
TirolerGröestl

Käsespätzle

Gulaschesuppe

Now do you see why I like Austria Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
alex_heney, Each to his own, I love Austria, I don't ski anywhere else these days but don't eat any of those. Gröestl's OK but too salty, I cannot abide cheese of any description and Gulaschesuppe too spicy, although strangely I love curry. Don't like Germanic sausages, sauerkraut is disgusting, I don't do fish and spag bol is boring.

So generally its a lot of chicken, steak, chips and salad. The beer's good though. wink
ski holidays
Newbie here. Couldn't resist the topic to pop my cherry.

Austria - almdudler. Nectar of the gods.
France - cassoulet, escargot. For a quick lunch Knackis and a baguette (Ketchup epice optional).
ski holidays
The old favourites: goulash soup; pizzoccheri; that green salad you get in France with the cubes of cheese & croutons; any selection with naughty little sausages.
latest report
Pizzoccheri
Rich game stews with polenta
Creamy, salty carbonara
Salad with thinly sliced fennel and walnut dressing, with a side of pizza
Mulled wine or Bombardino, hot and milky not too sweet or too strong.
Chocolate always tastes better eaten on a chairlift Happy

Packed lunch would be a bread roll with cheese and/or ham, capri sun and chocolate. Simple, but keeps you going.
latest report
Quote:

Creamy, salty carbonara
Hmm, I definitely need to go and ski in Italy.
ski holidays
DickyMint, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead None of the restaurants I've been to in our ski area do escargots, and even if they did I wouldn't choose them. wink If "knackis" are those frankfurter-style sausages I'm afraid I'd not choose them, either.

I prefer the sound of the Italian choices, though it's not hard to get a good game stew with polenta in France, too.
snow conditions
Come on, surely it's a Pizza and a Beer in the sunshine half way up an Italian Mountain! Never neglect the day trip to Courmayeur!
snow report
Pedantica wrote:

Hmm, I definitely need to go and ski in Italy.[/quote]

Italy is THE place to eat, fantastic food, coffee for a Euro, forget overpriced French slop or Austrian Dumplings with Gravy or Custard.
latest report
papasmurf wrote:
Chips with chili con carne on top with cheese..

Perfect.
snow report
Grostl and kaiserschmarrn Very Happy
snow report
Zuppa d'orzo (barley soup - it does have another niceties like bacon and veggies in it too). Pedantica, you'd like it, it tastes quite Eastern European.
ski holidays
pam w, I had that Plat du Jour and it was fantastic, but went to a different restaurant a day later it it didn't taste the same at all! Whereas the Vin Chaud taste good whereever I drink it.

(That joke was brought to you by 'Dave'... the TV channel for all repeats!)
latest report
Squashed ham and steeze baguette in the gondola...
latest report
Tiroler Grostl and Zillertal Weiss Bier
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Freddie Paellahead, don't like most Russian food - too heavy. But barley soup is nice. Reminds me that it's ages since I've had a decent Irish stew.

DickyMint, welcome to snowHeads!
latest report
Goats cheese and herb risotto, homemade ravioli or mixed grill at Scotoni in the Hidden Valley, Dolomites.
ski holidays
CRYSTAL VODKA!!

snow conditions
Pedantica wrote:
Quote:

Creamy, salty carbonara
Hmm, I definitely need to go and ski in Italy.

Italian food is fab!
I'm looking forward to trying some plat du jour in France too though, in and around Morillon...any day now!
snow report
Mountain Burger in Mottaret.
latest report
I enjoyed a delicious rognons de veau flambes, sauce cognac aux champignons this Christmas and in France will almost always go for the plat du jour on the very odd occasion that we don't go the squashed baguette/cold spanish omelette/flask of soup route.

pam w, Knacki are indeed those frankfurter things and I wouldn't choose them either - although I was surprised to find that they make rather good sausage rolls, as introduced to me by our current French lodger.
snow conditions
That little pack of two biscuits left by the tea/coffee maker in the hotel room.
ski holidays
BertIsfantastic wrote:

i also drink lots of whiskey when in the mountains.

i hope you drink whisky rather than whiskey....

The 'e' suggests it is not from Scotland, and therefore crap.
snow report
Germknoedel (sp?)
latest report
dudders wrote:

the only way to drink it is with an e, the original and best, from the true home. (Jocks on the rob again - our language, whiskey, porridge, sectarianism, kilts, just another pale imitation) Toofy Grin
latest report
dudders wrote:

Have you ever been to Midleton? Don't knock it until you have.
snow conditions
salmon gros sel
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy