Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help me choose a new winter shell/jacket

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have a North Face Mountain Light Parka from 2005. It's time for a replacement....
I have been using my TNF Denali fleece as a zip-in liner.

What would you recommend as a replacement for this shell?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's been damn cold in the mountains recently. It was down to -20 C in the 3 Valleys when I was there recently.

Are you the sort of person who feels the cold in general, or not? I do, so I prefer to use an insulated jacket with underarm venting zips that can be unzipped when I overheat. That means I can use the same jacket down to -20 C (and colder) as well as for Easter skiing. Those underarm venting zips are a must-have feature in any jacket I buy.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sorry, I should have clarified...this will be mainly for an everyday winter jacket (with a fleece zipped in to it). I will use if for occasional skiing, but not just a ski jacket. I live in CT, so it's not nearly as cold as in the mountains.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
CT? Connecticut?

If so, sorry but I have no idea what your winter or skiing conditions are like. I live on a small, damp island somewhere in Europe (or so they tell us).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Walter-Spitty wrote:
It's been damn cold in the mountains recently. It was down to -20 C in the 3 Valleys when I was there recently.

Are you the sort of person who feels the cold in general, or not? I do, so I prefer to use an insulated jacket with underarm venting zips that can be unzipped when I overheat. That means I can use the same jacket down to -20 C (and colder) as well as for Easter skiing. Those underarm venting zips are a must-have feature in any jacket I buy.

You can do that with a shell too. Layers make a shell much more versatile.

OP, what's your budget?

And where the hell is 'CT?'
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mild weather means fleece and shell. Cold weather means primaloft or down, possibly in combination with a fleece. I don't want my nice down jacket getting sweated in or rained on!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy