Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing with music

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Miles Davis and Stravinsky don't have the right kind of consistent rhythm for skiing, IMV. Plenty do, though. J S Bach, Leftfield, Vivaldi, Nelcy Sedibe, Handel, the Scissors Sisters, Monteverdi, Paul Simon.... the list goes on and on. You have to choose your tracks/movements though. wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I *do* listen to music when skiing sometimes, but since I am cautious I have the following (personal) rules:

* Only on-piste
* Only on a piste I've ski'd before and can ski comfortably in the current conditions
* Only if it's not too busy
* Either: use about half the volume I'd normally use; or switch to mono and only use one ear.

So that means I actually don't do it much overall.

As far as style goes, my main concern is that the extremes in volume are not too far apart: I don't want to deafen myself in the loud bits but then I can't hear the quiet bits over the scraping sound of edges on snow. So that rules out a great deal of my favourite classical and jazz.

Main advantage for me I think is it makes solo lift rides a lot more interesting.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pedantica wrote:
leedssteve,
Quote:

So you don't like theatre then? I trust all audio visual experiences don't become a multi tasking step too far....
Unfortunately your logic is at fault. We were, specifically, discussing music. I love theatre and I also like (some) opera - but that is because it's an art form in its own right, music, words and production form a unified whole (sometimes!) I do however hate the fact that, nowadays, almost all television plays and documentaries have non-stop background music, which is for the most part both intrusive and meaningless. But there again, some film music is wonderful and appropriate, again when it combines seamlessly with the action and the cinematography.

I can't see that 'live' mountain scenery and all the natural sounds that go with it, are enhanced by music, but that is a matter of taste. I said it was a personal view. If you like to have music - what sort of music, I wonder? - while you ski, go right ahead! Smile

James the Last, yes, here beginneth an old git's rant of major proportions: I cannot BEAR Folie Douce-type music or, even worse, Austrian oompah that is so loud you can here it ten miles away. Noise pollution in the mountains is even more unacceptable than the noise pollution emanating from the average car being driven on the streets of south London, and that's bad enough. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Hehe I thought you might say that Smile I was referring more specifically, to the idea that good music requires total concentration, and that you might not wish to spoil the view with music. But I can see from your post above that we agree music can, in appropriate situations enhance an experience.....of course, which music and which situation is surely a matter of personal choice.

As for what I will be listening too........I'm in the middle of creating playlists......I'll let you know Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
leedssteve wrote:
This may have been discussed before, but just wondering what thoughts are about listening to music whilst skiing.

I am planning to have the ipod on at times whilst skiing next week, but haven't in the past. A couple of friends routinely listen to music whilst on the hill, and I like the idea. Helmet threads have discussed the concept of reduced awareness of surroundings etc, and there is little doubt that listening to music prevents you from hearing what is going on around you.

So how important is it? Any other considerations/experiences?

I love it. A bit of classical music for laying down smooth train tracks on the nice wide open perfect corduroy of Italy, some AC/DC or Quiet Riot to get pumped up before the more technical, faster lines and some house or goatrance (Man with no name, DJ Yahel) to get my body in the right sort of tempo for the bumps.

If I have the right type of tunes(in my humble taste) for the terrain I am riding on it helps me endlessly. Adds rhythm and fluidity to my skiing when kicking around the resort.

Don't tend to listen to music when touring for obvious safety reasons, unless on a long approach. Away from the man made mechanical ness of the resort, mother natures song is much purer and more beautiful anyways.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Adds rhythm and fluidity to my skiing when kicking around the resort

I'd agree with that - and it's what I meant by saying I feel skiing ("kicking round the resort", not highly demanding stuff) is like dancing, and it's hard to dance without music. That doesn't mean it has to be Dance Music as derided above - all music genres have some stuff that's just right.

The Folie Douce/Oompah stuff is absolutely not for me, either.

I find music particularly welcome when the weather is nasty. It keeps you company on those horrible low visibility days. It's important not to hum along on the chairlifts though. Embarassed
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski wrote:
for me I ski for the peace and quiet, especially off piste, the sound of birds, snow falling, whatever nature throws at me, so music is a big no no.

I also think it masks so many sounds you need for input when skiing, the scrape of ice, the "scrunch"of a dodgy off piste slope, the mates shouts of "skiers left to avoid the rock", or even worse, "Avalanche"etc etc etc

Yep I agree, I'd find music massively distracting! The helmet muffles sounds at it is..

I like to hear as much of what's going on as I can.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
One more random reason for listening to music: I can remember a couple of moments particularly well because the music I was listening to at the time happened to fit perfectly:

Passo Tonale night skiing on blue 33, foggy, just about approaching the chairlift offload, the floodlights at the topstation come into view through the fog:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=T0wQf_BmgGM#t=173s

offloaded from the chair at 3min21s , fiddled with gear.... set off into the darkness down an empty piste with a lovely fresh covering of several inches of powder at 4min04s.

It was complete coincidence but I'll probably never forget that run...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sometimes I'd love to listen to music while I'm skiing, but I probably shouldn't.

A couple of weeks ago I carved a tight turn to my right, from the centre towards the edge of a very wide piste. As I neared the edge of the piste I heard someone just behind me and to my right screaming: "WAAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH".

It's funny how fast one's brain works at times like that. "Ah, that'll be some poor sod straightlining on his freestyle skis and hoping to overtake without killing me/him" I thought.

Sure enough.

Lucky for both of us that I never ski all the way to the edge of the piste, just in case of situations like that. There wasn't even any off-piste he could have detoured onto, just a cliff wall.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy