Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Need help on what ski jacket to buy?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have been researching for hours on ski jackets as i want to buy the right one first time! Or atleast try my best! I know the best jackets are the ones made from Gore-Tex. The jacket will be used for skiing, but will be my first time and wont be the last. But i also will use it generally when weather is really bad back at home.

Im looking to spend £100 tops so wont be able to get any top of the range ones. I originally had my eyes set on two ski jackets by brands such as Quicksilver & O'Neill. I liked them because they looked good and were in my budget, but after thought you only probably just paying for the name and that looking cool look! So i came across the brand 'Protest'. Nice stuff and in my budget. Its plain black and has all sorts of features, including their Geotech 10.000 Series.

Here is the link:
http://www.protest.eu/en#!/collection/men/boardjackets/671212/557/backside-boardjacket

What does Geotech actually mean? Is it like Gore-Tex?
I have seen this jacket for sale for £100 but not sure if its well money spent?

What do you think?

Thank you so much for any form of reply.

Tim
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have a look at the westbeach website - they have 60% off at the moment - very good kit - snowboarding brand from Canada - some absolute bargains there!
Otherwise go for a past season line on sale if you want max tech for your cash!
Oh and no geotechnical isn't in the same ballpark as goretex - goretex is >20000 but most people really don't need that most of the time - unless you have a couple hundred quid burning a hole in your pocket - fantastic stuff as it is, it won't make you a better skier!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thankyou for your advice. There are some nice jackets on the westbeach site. Are they better than the Potest jacket i mentioned?

What i want to know is, is the Protest Backside jacket the bees knees for that money?!

It kinda looks like goretex is for the extreme! Which wont be me.

Thank you for your time.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Don't get hung up on gore-tex... Plenty of other breathable fabrics about these days, gore-tex isn't the be all and end all.

Surfanic make reasonable stuff at decent prices, and seem to be pretty well reviewed (was a thread on here a little while ago)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
One that fits with pockets in the right places for your needs. Breathable helps. You need to try some on. Plenty of good bargains at TK Maxx at present.

I do not understand how people buy off the Internet, but then, I expect I am an odd shape!

snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
That Protest jacket looks like a real bargain if you can get it for £100. It has all the key features you will need. I paid more than twice that amount for my Schöffel jacket a few years ago, which has more-or-less the same features as the Protest one.

Enjoy your first skiing trip timbo88!

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 20-02-12 21:37; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you everyone for all your views. It has helped me alot. Walter-Spitty you hit the nail right on the head for the sort of answer i was looking for!!

I have now purchased the Protest jacket for £100 and hope its looks and is as good as it all seems!!

Bring on the falling over on my first ski adventure!

Good bye for now snow heads Smile !!!

Tim
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy