Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advanced "all-mountain" for this year?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello everyone!

Any opinions valued....
I'm looking at new skis again for this winter - spend the last 2 years on Rossi B2s, and can't really fault them but fancy a change this year.
By the nature of my life out there, I tend to prefer an advanced all-mountain ski that means whatever the conditions, I can grab a few hours on the mountain whenever possible. As such my shortlist looks like this (all new 2006 models rather than last year's) :

Volkl Unlimited (All Mountain)

Dynastar Legend 4800 (or maybe 8000)

K2 Apache Recon

Rossignol B2 (of course, can't rule them out as 2006 B2 is sposed to be better again than 2005)

I think some of these have been reviewed in various places, some not, but and comments appreciated!

cheers
F-S.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How about:
K2 Public Enemies
Nordica Hot Rod Top Fuels

Those would be top of my list if I was looking for a 1 ski quiver for next year.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Stockli Snakes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Wear The Fox Hat, thanks.
Yeah, I did wonder about the Public Enemies, but impressions from people I know who own a pair have suggested that they stuggle a little on hard-pack and bumps. Not heard anything about the Nordica and Stockli you mention, but I'll have a dig around.
Any reason why you prefer them to, say, the B2s?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
flying_squirrel, Have you seen the latest Daily Mail ski & Snowboard magazine? Mike & Laura who were working for ski beat in Peisey last year are in there.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Only they have called her Lucy for some reason
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
flying_squirrel, I mentioned the PEs cause I've seen a few instructors using them as their non-teaching ski, and having a lot of fun on them - on and off piste. I've skiied next years model, and consider it a very good ski for advanced skiers.
The Nordicas, again based on skiing them myself, and reading other reviews about them, will probably be THE ski for next year (surpassing Metron B5s)
And the Stocklis? I skiied with a BASI instructor in the Jungfrau region in January, and he had just got a pair of them. They have absolutely crazy flex patterns, but they ripped up the piste and the powder for him.

Without trying to denegrate the B2, I would say that all three of these would be more rewarding - BUT... you may have to put in a bit more of an effort to get the big rewards.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wear The Fox Hat, putting in a bit more effort is not a problem - part of me is a little bored with the B2s to be honest...
I've had a look on the web for the Snakes and they seem pretty well-regarded, and quite mad visually. Tempted, but not convinced how easy they would be to test out (most ski shops around us don't stock beyond the mainstream). Will look into the Hot Rod.
Thanks.

FastCarver, I don't normally buy the mag, but might have to now to check i they make complementary noises about Peisey-Vallandry!!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
flying_squirrel, some idiot, who knows nothing about skis, testing or skiing, posted this review a few weeks back. He wasn't working as a ski host last season, so isn't a ski god. Wink

http://skiing.wtfh.com/snowHeads/snowheads_ski_review_2005.htm
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wear The Fox Hat, I think that's a bit harsh. But thanks for biting Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
He wasn't working as a ski host last season, so isn't a ski god. Wink

Shocked Shocked Now you tell us!!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
flying_squirrel, My suggested choice for you to test would be the following:

Volkl AC3
Atomic Metron b5 (although FastCarver say's they're crap) or the M11 which isn't quite so 'much'
Stockli Stormrider XL
Nordica Hot Rod Top Fuels (it's gonna be some ski if it surpasses my beloved b5's)
K2 Apache Recon (although they are equal to your B2's in 'blandness')

Can you get to the Pre-Season Bash at LDA at the end of October as I believe that all the manufacturer's will have test skis available as part of the Ski Mondial event.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
would love to but can't make SKi Mondial. mind you, my neighbours own a ski shop so I should be able to find out how to test a ski locally that is not (a) Saly (b) Rossi (c) Atomic...
Like the sound of the Snake BC from a few reviews I've found too.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
flying_squirrel,

Really rate the stormrider for a very very good do it all. If you want great days in choppped up stuff and a good edge on ice. these will do all that and some. Not wanting to slag off B2's but these are so much more ski IMO. I've tried the B2 in 177 and 182 and the Xl in 174. The XL is much stiffer by comparison but the ride is so good you aren't concerned about the lack of lenght. The only ski I tried last year that gave me a bigger smile was a Rossi 9s on very hard pistes before the snow came in La plagne but I don't think the XL would be too far behind those with the edge hold. These are the best all-round skis I have used and I only ski the pistes to get to the other stuff. A very versatle ski
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Anybody skied on Atomic M:EX, they're meant to be like the B5's but with a bit more girth.
snow report
marc gledhill, no but you've skied with me and I'm a bit like skier but with a bit more girth if that's any help.
snow report
ise, Laughing
snow conditions
flying_squirrel wrote:
would love to but can't make SKi Mondial. mind you, my neighbours own a ski shop so I should be able to find out how to test a ski locally that is not (a) Saly (b) Rossi (c) Atomic...
Like the sound of the Snake BC from a few reviews I've found too.

as commented, you may prefer the XL. I've skied the Snakes and they're pretty good but they've the same turning circle as a cross chanel ferry towing a caravan.
snow conditions
marc gledhill wrote:
Anybody skied on Atomic M:EX, they're meant to be like the B5's but with a bit more girth.

I think ssh has... in fact he may even own both!
latest report
marc gledhill wrote:

One of my ski tuning 'consortium' mates bought a pair at the start of the year. I've had about an hour on them but only at Castleford but he's had two weeks on them so far & loves 'em. He also did his CSIA 1 instructor qualification on them in Andorra over Easter.

The M:EX doesn't have the extreme sidecut of true Metrons, ie the b5 is 127-76-114 with a 11m radius @ 162cm v the M:EX at 121-84-11 with a 19m radius @ 175cm. You also don't ski it as short - I'd ski it in 175 v my 162 b5's. You could therefore question whether it's actually a 'true' Metron.

It's a fairly powerful ski, but probably more akin to the M11 in being just a bit 'less' than the b5. Like the M11 & b5 it needs to be driven to get the best out of it but you can still cruise 'em ok.

With the extra length & width underfoot plus less sidecut the M:EX's are really for a far higher off/on-piste percentage than the M11/b5, say 80/20 rather than 50/50.

My mate was on 6*'s previously but wanted something more suitable for off-piste, although he's still kept his Volkl's.
snow report
anybody know anything about the Nordica SUV 12.1 XBS cause i am getting on FREE Very Happy and i was wondering if anyone could tell me about...hopefully someone has tested it and has an opinion
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy