Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Freeskiing? or just trashing the pitch

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Wear The Fox Hat, You're too nice a guy to be real wink by all means stand back and let us powder pigs go first, I'll owe you a beer for the privilege
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wear The Fox Hat, I'm not saying go out of your way to use it all or abuse it, just that I'm not just going to stick to the margin wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wear The Fox Hat,

That is right, you should try and leave a good line. Of course, some people have a bash and make a mess, thats not exactly a crime and we have all done it but to just wantonly trash a slope is a bit off. I don't like to see that.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
And these people who trade on getting good tracks should at least save some. I can't imagine they teache their clients that ethic.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
slikedges wrote:
No-one's got more rights than anyone else out there.
I agree, certainly in a lift-served or hike-to situation. If you're the first one up there and you fancy seeing what it's like to do super G turns in powder, why not? If anyone complains, they should have got there earlier.

The only right that any skier or rider possesses is the right not to be hit by another skier or rider approaching from above. (That is why yelling "get out of my line!" down the hill is the rudest thing anyone can say on a mountain. If you're good enough, you should be able to adapt your line around whoever is below you.)

In a group situation, such as WTFH's example, or of course in a heli-skiing situation (where everyone is essentially part of one large group) it is another matter - you have to face these people in the bar afterwards.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Boarders (not having a go at boarders a skier could do the same thing) set off an avalanche by traversing across a steep powder slope @ St Anton in Jan. A few people were killed as it hit a group below. I bet most of us flailed around in the powder, you gotta learn somewhere but steep powder pistes could retrict your development and breathing. Chances are you are more likely to 2nd, 3rd or 4th up to that line. The etiquette maintained in certain ski resorts means you will see some fresh more often too. Live and let live.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DB, fair point, I was really only thinking in terms of a secured, theoretically "safe", slope, something that would be called "in-bounds" in North America. (Although the in-bounds A-Basin slide has shown that you're never 100% safe I suppose.) Off-piste in Europe, or in a heli-skiing situation, most people will be directed in their turning tactics by guides. Many guides will try to get their clients to "farm" the powder, and that practice makes plenty of sense.

Of course safety must take precedence over all else. (Funny, I heard a similar "snowboarder kills skiers" story, also in St Anton, in the early 90s!)

The point I was making, and I think the point that Warren Smith was probably trying to get across (that started this thread) was: for someone gaining experience and confidence in powder, every now and then, if they're lucky enough to find themselves some freshies, they should try "attacking" the slope with longer turns, if only to learn what it feels like to ski the powder with a bit more speed.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you are a really good skier (or hill frog) and you and your mate are carving perfect 8's in fresh powder in full view of a loaded chairlift all admiring your skill and technique with envy please please have the common decency to fall over at the end, just so we normal average skiers don't feel quite so inadequate. Very Happy wink
Thank you.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boredsurfin,

This is why you should always practise nice s's so you can do them under the chairlift.

There is nothing like your tracks clearly visible on the hill.... Thats why I try and preserve the slope - if I can.
Hard earned tracks should be appreciated
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy