Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Freeskiing? or just trashing the pitch

Poster: A snowHead
Somehow found myself surfing onto J2ski's Warren Smith technique pages. There's a nice vid of someone (him?) "freeskiing" - big loopy turns down a fresh powder field.

Now I don't know about anyone else, but while that's great if you're the only one there, but generally very, very poor etiquette if you're with chums who also want freshies. Generally rewarded by getting to wear the red security jumpsuit and being sacrificed to the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

It's not free skiing, it's trashing. Free skiing means (to me at least) having the skill and control to ski powder tracks so that everyone can enjoy themselves. Don't think I'd be too chuffed at that sort of behaviour in my hel-group.

Discussion anyone??
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I take your point but I'm also a bit fedup of people on a pair of fat skis whose idea of skiing in powder is just one turn shape.

Warren has this idea, which I tend to agree with, that it takes a bit more skill to be skiing at higher speeds with differing turn shapes and that it's more rewarding.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
"There are no friends on a powder day".
ski holidays
 brian
brian
David Murdoch, no I think obliterating as much lovely powder as possible should be encouraged. I particularly think boarders who obviously can't handle the slopes they're on should side slip as much as possible, wiping out gullies at a time Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
agree with ise and warren....opening up turn shapes to suit terrain is v.good for ski skills - I used to have the tight "s" shape technique only in powder....yes it is good for getting several tracks alongside - however if everyone is doing big GS's through the POW - you do get a lot of fresh tracks still - think it's a case of skiing the terrain with an appropriate turn shape and not getting stuck in short radius only - me I love fast big turns AND for when it's narrower/steeper shorter classic powder turns...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
David Murdoch,

Thought about this too.

However neat you and your group leave the powder tracks, chances are a skier or especially a snowboarder trashes them and the snow either side. I'm not sure wether it's selfishness or just plain ignorance that makes people use more powder than they need to. Suppose you gotta ski the rough and the smooth. If it's a run nobody else is likely to use that day (e.g. hiked up to the run) and there's more powder forecast maybe then it's OK to use and abuse it.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Laughing Laughing

Guys, there are only two kinds of turn in powder. Perfect 8s and perfect 11s wink

ise, who mentioned fat skis? wink couldn't agree more about skill levels but your point equally applies to people on fat skis carving great big lairy turns all over the place. Try than on a pair of 203 WC RD slalom skis I say. Just because the kit means you can doesn't mean you should...

Kramer, "just because you slept with her last night doesn't mean you need to ski with her today"

dg3, agreed as above

DB, I don't really care what happens to my perfect 8s after I've made them... Using more powder than you need is an interesting question of judgement! I need lots and lots and maybe just a little more if I may...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you can be bothered to get to a stash first, you can use it as you will IMO. If you can't be bothered to get the first lift, or hike a bit quicker to get the goods you take what you find when you get there.

One exception is people who blatantly don't have the ability to be on the slope in the first place. Nothing worse than a skier traversing a whole slope of good snow then doing a big stem turn and traversing all the way back... or a snowboarder slipping down vertically and scraping out a big trench. The point is that these people aren't really enjoying themselves AND they're depriving others of fun too.

The other thing is that although WS's turns look like they take up a lot of space, their radius is so big that you probably wouldn't cross them too often even if you were doing short radius turns straight down the fall line
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

One exception is people who blatantly don't have the ability to be on the slope in the first place.

another exception is when u have made the effort to step/climb that bit further up the hill to get 20-30% more turns than a gentle traverse would have granted and then some git pulls the short cut and wipes out the bottom half of your run Twisted Evil
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
"Just straight-line everything"

Dale Carnegie 'How to Win Friends and Influence People'

------------------------------------------
Legal disclaimer: Any advice given in this post should be ignored. Dale Carnegie never said anything of the sort.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

One exception is people who blatantly don't have the ability to be on the slope in the first place. Nothing worse than a skier traversing a whole slope of good snow then doing a big stem turn and traversing all the way back... or a snowboarder slipping down vertically and scraping out a big trench. The point is that these people aren't really enjoying themselves AND they're depriving others of fun too.

Great attitude. I guess you were skiing perfect S's the first time you ventured off piste were you?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
FastCarver wrote:
Great attitude. I guess you were skiing perfect S's the first time you ventured off piste were you?

Here we go again rolling eyes rolling eyes

What is up with your attitude FastCarver? What's the point of constantly insulting or being condescending to posters in the forum?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hmmmm . . . big turns, small turns, greed and skills snobbery all raise their ugly heads. Something you skiers need to realise is that the bigger surface area of boards (and fat skis) keeps you higher in the powder with less natural braking resistance. . . we go faster than you. We control our fall line speed with the large arc turns and we don't cut as deep into the pack or compress the snow under our tracks as much as you.

As Kramer says, there are no friends on a powder day, you just need to get your cockles out of your sack and onto a lift earlier than 'brunch'.

I agree that the bulldozers should be physically thrown back onto the pistes till they have better basic skills, but I've done my unfair share of trench digging Embarassed , had to learn somewhere.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 16-09-05 13:28; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Masque, even though you are a border, i like you. You talk sense.

Cathy Coins, It's true. We all have to learn somewhere - something many people forget.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Gosh i really have cause a stir over the last few days Laughing NehNeh
ski holidays
I also believe forums are a place to express views. Some don't like mine, I don't like some others. Fair enough i'd say.
ski holidays
FastCarver, [sigh] my point is that people doing that sort of thing are usually doing it because they have found that the run is too difficult for them and they are scared. This deserves sympathy for the first time - on subsequent occasions it is actually pretty annoying and in some circumstances dangerous too
snow report
FastCarver, it's not the views you hold that people don't like - it's the way you express them.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
FastCarver, it's fair to say that your post does have a slightly 'barbed' feel to it.
It's hardly crime of the century of course and I know it would be mild compared to what goes on on a lot of other forums but here at snowHeads people tend to treat each other as friends rather than adverseries by default.
Imagine u actually like the people you're talking to Laughing

So, now u know why some of your posts might have been getting a little extra of the wrong sort of attention Wink

... and welcome to snowHeads! snowHead
ski holidays
Masque, wanna race?

But seriously, I had a heli trip with two boarders (from Aspen) who rode the tightest, gnarliest lines I ever did see. Great guys and a joy to ski with. unlike many boarders I see....
ski holidays
Quote:

FastCarver, it's fair to say that your post does have a slightly 'barbed' feel to it.
It's hardly crime of the century of course and I know it would be mild compared to what goes on on a lot of other forums but here at snowHeads people tend to treat each other as friends rather than adverseries by default.
Imagine u actually like the people you're talking to

So, now u know why some of your posts might have been getting a little extra of the wrong sort of attention

... and welcome to snowHeads!

Oooooh it looks like someone has reported me to the snowheads police Laughing
ski holidays
FastCarver wrote:
Oooooh it looks like someone has reported me to the snowheads police Laughing

Have to say if a website's founder gave me a warm welcome and offered some friendly advice I'd be inclined to accept it.
latest report
Laughing
snow conditions
FastCarver, more probable that admin has read your posts. He does actually particpate in the forum as well at which time we all have to be very polite and deferential to him Very Happy snowHead
snow conditions
snowHeads police are out of stock

snow report
David Goldsmith, I like it
snow conditions
That's a shame, because they're out of stock
ski holidays
FastCarver, I've seen you taking a bit of stick on these forums recently. I've read your posts and although they rile some people, it appears to me that some are inclined to misrepresent your views and/or quote them out of context. I don't always agree with you but that's another matter.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jtr, thanks. Just a few minutes ago i was on the end of some very harsh words - certainly not in the spirit of snowheard - from "wears a cock for a hat"
latest report
FastCarver wrote:
jtr, thanks. Just a few minutes ago i was on the end of some very harsh words - certainly not in the spirit of snowheard - from "wears a cock for a hat"

Who said what, and where? This could be fun to watch!
snow report
Well I guess I must have missed something somewhere, but back to the point I'd agree with FastCarver, you have to learn sometime, and just because you can't make perfect turns, it doesn't mean you shouldn't be there - in my opinion skiing powder (especially the west coast cement) requires a certain feel for the snow and confidence to get into a rythym you only get that from practice - before that I was (and some would still say am!) all over the place.
snow report
stuarth, thank you. I am not being objectional for the sake of it. I think the skiing comunity is generally very intollerant of beginners or those with less ability, and it's an attitude that gets right on my nerves.
latest report
stuarth, depends on degree. You aren't helping yourself or anyone else if the conditions are such that you can barely manage a traverse punctuated with kick turns each end. Naturally I don't mean You personally Happy

One (me) might even suggest that even with today's kit there is probably a minimum skill requirement to even begin to tackle deep, soft snow??
snow report
Quote:

You aren't helping yourself or anyone else if the conditions are such that you can barely manage a traverse punctuated with kick turns each end.

I have to say in defence of the inept that it's not always their fault. I remember following a 'friend' down a piste which was way beyond my skill level because I had no choice but to go down by the time we realised I was way out of my depth. (Who needs kick turns when you can simply sit down at the edge and roll over to get your skis pointing in the right direction again) Crying or Very sad So even knowing your limitations is no use sometimes!
ski holidays
FastCarver, There's a difference between intolerance and that wonderful glow you get deep in your vitals when you pull a hard clean carve past a group of newbie hillfrogs (I have to thank someone for that new sobriquet for boarders). OK, I'm no great shakes (particularly at the mo.). But on the odd occasion when I've been inside my comfort zone and encountered someone thrashing about and building kickers they'll never use, when I've stopped and offered encouragement (dropped my two cents worth), I've been greeted by pure abuse. It is difficult to maintain a feeling of goodwill to people who don't want or don't think they need lessons.
And yes, I've already booked some for this season.
ski holidays
Helen101, a very fair point!
snow report
I'm with the "if you get there first camp". Some of this thread sounds a bit like a locals versus tourists surf and turf war. I'd agree that if you're not safe there and all you've got is a vertical slide you shouldn't be there, but personally am in favour of otherwise skiing whatever turn shape you like once you're there. No-one's got more rights than anyone else out there.
snow report
slikedges, I'd go with that too.
ski holidays
and everyone knows, "there are no friends on a powder day"...
snow conditions
slikedges, true, but if I'm skiing with a bunch of people, and we come across some wide untracked stuff, there is a code of conduct which says "leave some for the others"
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy