Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Willingen Uplands, Germany - Trip Report

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just back after a week in Willingen Uplands in Germany.

A great resort for families at a beginner/intermediate level.

We took the ferry overnight from Hull to rotterdam (the reasons they call it the party ferry need a whole entry of their own!!) and then had a four hour drive from Rotterdam to Willingen. The Ski Jump World Cup was on the weekend we arrived so consequently, the place was heaving!

Saturday morning heralded the start of our skiing, but with a few mishaps (couldn't find the right ski schule, loads of boots wouldn't fit as they had been left in roof box overnnight at -17c doh!!). Eventually we got all the kids in their lessons and we took to the slopes.

There are a decent range of beginner and intermediate slopes which are ideal for families, but if off piste and challenging blacks are more your thing this resort ain't for you.

The Germans are incredible hosts - our party of 17 - 9 kids and 8 adults were warmly received everywhere we went. A couple of us had some pigeon German we could use to get by which is just as well as the mojority of staff in bars and restaurants had no or very litle English. All instructors though had better English than the majority of us!

Snow was excellent all week. It actually started raining the day we left, so I think we probably timed it perfectly for our trip. All runs were open and it snowed three of the seven nights we were there. Majority of skiing was donein sunshine although there were a couple of cloudy, snowy days. Floodlight skiing was on three nights a week and was excellent also, but not includedin the price of your six day pass.

Pass was 300 Euros for five of us for six days - our youngest is only 5 so was free.

Total costs for family of five:

Accomodation £250 - was had a house that used to be an hotel that sleeps 18. We all had ensuite rooms and there was a bar inthe cellar with pool table etc. We just bought our own booze and drank in there evry night.
Ferry - £360. When we booked they only had Club Class Cabins left for families of five, otherwise it would have been about £100 less
Diesel - About £250 in total, but my XC 90 ain't the most economical
Ski pass - £260
Lesson - £70 in total for a two hour group lesson and then a one hour private lesson for the 5 year old.
Food - don't really count that as we have to eat at home anyway, but we probably spent about £350ish as we ate in nearly every night.

In total we probably spent about £1400 for a family of five to have a week's skiing. Alright it ain't the Alps but if you're looking to do it on a budget then I can't recommend it highly enough!

In conclusion, it's an excellent place for a first group holiday. Good nursery slopes with travelators and a good range of blues for the next step.

Cheers. Feel free to post any questions about this resort.

Mark.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Mark, Smile

very good price you have paid for all of you. Glad you had a fab time. Germany is very child friendly and you didn't even have to speak the lingo.
I think the german resorts are over looked and it's a shame that not many tour operators go there.

Moonshine Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy