Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wax on Goggle Lenses - Can you help?

Poster: A snowHead
I've gone and got Zardoz Pocket Puck wax on my A Frame Oakley goggle lens..................what a 24 carat plonker!!

I waxed skis in the boot room, then picked skis up with my gloves, then 20 mins later had a big off-piste wipe out and got a face full and goggles were all snowed up, wiped them out with my glove finger (it was -20C at the time) and yes you guessed it, goggle lenses all streaky and cloudy with wax.

Now home tried neat washing up liquid, and hasnt worked (not surprising!), loathe to put wax remover fluid on them, dont want to strip the lens coating, any ideas?? rolling eyes

Looking like a new lens but trying to retain my sanity................!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Markymark29, Zardoz isn't wax, the best solvent for it is likely to be itself.

Why not put some more Zardoz on the lens and immediately wipe it off.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Markymark29, maybe warm/hot soapy water will shift it?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lemon juice will sort it.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rjs wrote:
Markymark29, Zardoz isn't wax, the best solvent for it is likely to be itself.

Why not put some more Zardoz on the lens and immediately wipe it off.

Puzzled maybe I am being a bit thick, but I don't understand why that would work.

What about contact lens solution or spectacle wipes. If nothing works and they are not useable you could try the fantastic customer support at Oakley, they have replaced 2 wisdom lenses that have cracked for me. I now keep them in a hard case.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
spyderjon, Cheers Jon, will try it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
How about window cleaning solution? The stuff in the squirty bottles if lemon juice fails - you might be able to try it on an old pair of lenses first.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tried neat lemonjuice Jon, didnt work..........was a good excuse for a G&T though. wink

Will try window stuff Megamum, thanks...............if not its looking expensive, either that or can't see where I'm skiing in future, might be interesting!

Thanks for all the help.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think the solvent for the liquid 'teflon' could be 1,1,2-trichloro-1,2,2-trifluoroethane (Freon TF). I don't know if it is still the case, but I THINK (note the THINK - no certainty here) Trichloroethane used to be the solvent for Tippex and therefore what you used to be able buy in a bottle as Tippex thinners - don't know if you can still get it though. Now the thing is that Tippex thinners might destroy/fog your lens, but depending on the severity of the damage that might be a risk worth taking if you are only going to ditch the lenses if you can't find a solution. Note that TCE is not very environmentally sound (damages ozone) and you don't want to inhale it. I suspect that the teflon may have bonded with/damaged the lens though and if so you might not be able to shift it with anything.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Markymark29, Try neat vinegar Shocked
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It may not be the wax. The antifog on Oakleys goes misty if rubbed when wet. I've wreaked 2 lenses that way. I managed to polish off the antifog coating on the last one with car polish and applied Cat Cr@p antifog. No used them since to see if the antifog works.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
andywrx, interesting... i have lenses go misty as well and put it down to ice crystals scratching the lense when trying to clean cold, hadnt heard of rubbed when wet causing issues...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
+1 for vinegar.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes I found info on Oakley's website http://uk.oakley.com/customer-care/care-goggle after my second lense went misty are one weeks skiing!

Not a great design for something that will be using in damp conditions.

I'll see what happens with fogging next time ski, without Oakley's coating.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
andywrx, you're right, it's not great that you cant wipe your goggs clean, but they're all the same. Both Uvex and Smith offer exactly the same advice, never wipe the goggles, only ever air dry, never use paper... Although Smith are kind enough to offer to sell you something called a snow eraser for 3 bucks.
snow conditions
Meanwhile, every coat I've ever owned has had a built-in goggle wiping cloth.

My right glove even has a little sponge windscreen wiper on it.

Surely the coat and glove companies aren't in cahoots with the goggle cartels, and are deliberately encouraging people to ruin their expensive eyewear, in order to rape money from their customers, and hence pay massive dividends to the board of directors. No, it can't be that. Definitely not.
ski holidays
Yeah we're all living in the shadow of "Big Goggle"...
snow conditions
Quote:

My right glove even has a little sponge windscreen wiper on it.

I use that to wipe my nose
snow report
tiffin, So do I. Laughing

On my glove not yours. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 cran
cran
meths
snow report
Markymark29 wrote:
Tried neat lemonjuice Jon, didnt work..........was a good excuse for a G&T though. wink ....

I've used lemon juice to remove ZN a number of times & it works fine - ZN's own make remover is a citrus solvent. Reckon you've marked the lenses.
snow report
spyderjon, Probably right, looking like new goggles.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy