Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpbach, Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Alpbach in Austria - anybody been - whats it like? Would it be safe to go in mid-March?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jb1970, Small chocolate box pretty Austrian village - I learnt to ski there on the town's nursery slopes back in 1984! The main skiing is on the Wiedersbergerhorn mountain, see http://www.alpbachtal.at/en/winter/skiing-alpbachtal.

As for skiing conditions in Mid March, in a usual year I would have said that would be OK, and this year of course Austria has had a lot more snow in recent weeks than usual. However, I do not have a crystal ball (it's just the way I walk! Toofy Grin ), and of course conditions in a month's time may be substantially different to now. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It is a small resort favoured by the British TO. We skied there in Jan 2004 and were surprised to ran into a young British lad working there as an instructor. Mid March should be OK.

It has 40km piste which seems to be a sort of size some British schools would take kids to learn skiing. A beginner might got drag along a 1.5km run 4 times before lunch and another 4 times after lunch to clock up 12km a day whereas a normal skier would cover 25 to 35 km in a day. Thus going for a week a resort with about 100 to 150km would be big enough to entertain an average skier I would have thought. Non-beginners should ideally aim at anything above 70km piste.

Alpbach lies between the the valley that has Ski Welt (Soll, Ellmau, Schffrau, Westendorf..) and the famous Kitzbuhel and the Zillertal Valley (Mayrhofen, Zillertal Arena, Hintertux) along the main road between German border and Innsbruck. Most skiers would go to either valleys.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have checked with Bergfex.com and it reports the area now has 54km piste with altitude ranging 600 to 2100m.

It should be understood there is nothing wrong with the resort itself as long as the visitor is aware of its size and that it has about 17 runs. We did it in a day trip from Ski Welt. Small resorts are normally picturesque, not invaded by the international crowd and can be very relax place to ski if you are not looking for the high mileage. As a rule small resorts can have difficulties in attracting visitors and so their prices will be competitive and offer good value for money.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
the skiing is quite varied. We had a particularly good instructor there, who spoke brilliant English (had worked in Loughborough for 3 years Laughing ). The village is certainly picturesque - cows in byres in the village, real mountain feel. The ski bus (essential) was reliable, IIRC. I think if I were going to Alpbach again I'd go for an intensive session of lessons. There are a host of British families who have been returning there year after year. When my son broke his ankle toboganning he was in a red mist of pain and heard a weirdly familiar voice saying "you look like you need a hand, mate". Turned out to be a chap he drank with regularly in a pub in Portsmouth, who was there on his own. He was in his 20s but had fallen in love with Alpbach going every winter with his parents as a youngster. Very friendly locals, too. The snow was poor when we were there (January) but that's luck of the draw, isn't it?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks everybody who responded. I have a week off in March and need to go somewhere cheap!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy