Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can I put my ski boot liners in the washer?

Poster: A snowHead
Simple question. As above. If not any other suggestions for getting rid of excess fragrance du fromage?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have done, been fine.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
queen bodecia, I wouldn't or perhaps I should say...I wouldn't ever again Embarassed
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have done it a few times without too much issue (needed to re- evostick the outer base/sole on in a couple of places) - low setting & no spin should be OK.

A couple of tips picked up from this forum which work a treat:

1) Rub your feet with Vicks vapour-rub (or Boots equivalent) begore you put your socks on in the morning: alcohol base kills off any bacteria before they can start ponging, and the Vicks smells OK too.

2) Spray boots (trainers etc) with Febreze fabric freshener, which has an anti bacterial/anti odour content
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
queen bodecia,
Quote:

If not any other suggestions for getting rid of excess fragrance du fromage?

Never tried it but I hear that putting them in the Frezer overnight helps kill the smell. Puzzled
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
livetoski, it does, although the smell returns quite quickly

other things to consider:

febreeze (?sp)
daubing your feet with vicks vapour rub - kills the stinky bacteria and makes your liners smell of something else (works quite well IME)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As an alternative to Febreeze, try this stuff.

Its designed to kill bacteria and prevent 'pet odours'. Equally effective on feet! Toofy Grin

I hand wash my liners in a dilute solution, which is less damaging to them than the heat of a machine wash. does the trick.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Haven't done it, but if I did, i'd say no softener, cold wash, low spin, short cycle, maybe washing powder and not fluid/gel. Dry outside/well ventilated area
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This all sounds way too complicated. I'm the person that puts everything in the same wash on the same cycle. I don't even know what the other buttons on the washer actually do! Very Happy

But I have some Febreze. Can't believe I didn't think of that already.

Now to get the liners out of the boots. Am I feeling strong today? Laughing

Thanks folks.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
not something i would recommend, the foam padding in liners is held in place with glues which do not like the whole get soaking wet and hot routine that you get in a washing machine, sure the padding gets sweaty and a bit damp when you ski but not like in a washing machine, it is likely that you will have something shift inside the liner which will affect comfort

biggest problem with smelling ski boot liners is when they have not been dried out properly after each trip, take them out and leave the shells and liners i a warm (not hot) place for a couple of days when you return just to get rid of any moisure, fabreeze will help, but most importantly dry them out properly each time and change socks daily....... the student attitude of self cleaning season long ski socks isn't going to do much for the smell of boot liners
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I had a ski instructor in Les Arcs one year who was called Febreze. Well that's what it sounded like, anyway wink Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Doh! Can't get the liners out. Have just sprayed the Febreze into them. Hopefully that will help a bit.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
queen bodecia, for what it is worth what we used to do with our boots which had been recommended by someone, who knows who now as a long time ago, was to put cat litter (a nice new sack of it) .... into the leg of a pair of tights and shove that into the boots. That would absorb any remaining moisture and niffy smells. We used to do that with our boots and the kids boots and shove them in the loft and they were always ok.

We have boot dryers now in our chalet and put the boots on them when we come in for an hour or a couple, and then warm them up a bit in the morning and we never have pong problems. We do notice sometimes though if we have friends staying that their boots, either their own, or hire boots can smell a bit - but put that down to them not being dried properly rather than casting aspersions on the feet of our friends!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pamski, thanks, that's a great idea, I always have a stock of cat litter. Boot drying facilities do vary a lot from resort to resort. I find the boot lockers in Austria are usually excellent with natty individual heated 'hangers' plus flangesax's place has a perfect 'hot room'. But I've never come across anything quite that sophisticated in Italy.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
But a big newspaper to read at the airport/flight/transfer on the way out.
Do not throw away
Scrunch doubles big pages into balls and stuff into boots after each day's skiing and keep in your bedrrom (not draughty or smell-filled boot rooms.
Next morning take scrunched up balls of paper out and store in your boot bag
Replace in boots when you return after day's skiing
Repeat

You'd (possibly) be surprised at how much moisture comes out overnight. And they dont smell either, nor does your bedroom if you are worried
snow report
How about washing your feet wink
snow conditions
Remove the liners after every session, place air blowing type boot dryers in liners, change socks daily=boots that will never smell!
snow report
sev112, don't really fancy carrying my boots around the après bars! Plus I'm pretty sure most hotels don't allow ski boots upstairs.

The bizarre thing is my socks are never wet, so can it really be wet that's making my boots smell? And yes, my feet are clean... Laughing
snow report
queen bodecia,
Quote:

The bizarre thing is my socks are never wet, so can it really be wet that's making my boots smell
Quote:

Doh! Can't get the liners out. .

These 2 quotes could well be connected!!! - surprising how much damp you might find outside the liner/inside the shell
ski holidays
geoffers, normally I stay in a hotel some distance from the lifts and use the base station lockers. Most of these are excellent with individual boot heaters. But my forthcoming trip to Cervinia is in a hotel right by the lift, which apparently also has individual boot heaters in the warm room (thanks trip advisor!). I presume I don't need to ask someone else (I can't do it!) to take the boots apart if using something like this?
snow conditions
queen bodecia, Even small amounts of water that build up under the boot board can go stagnant and cause a nasty smell, by removing the liners the void spaces have a chance to fully dry out, tip them upside down you maybe surprised how much water comes out.
latest report
gatecrasher, OK fair point. I'll ask one of my trusty ski buddies to take the liners out while I'm away. They'll have to stay as they are for the time being, I'm worried that even if I do manage to grow an extra pair of hands and get them out, I'll never get them back in again!

Thanks for the advice!
ski holidays
gatecrasher, Especially my Lange boots - have to take the liners out and the base thingys every night - snow just seems to get in everywhere - despite fetching strips of gaffa tape
snow conditions
A mate of mine packed his damp boots away for the trip home, they were then mislaid by the airline for about 3 weeks....he was very brave to even take a peek into the bag! Skullie
snow conditions
I have rather sore and arthriticky fingers and I found pulling liners out (and worse, putting them back in) extremely uncomfortable. We have a cold air blower for boots in our apartment, and use that regularly.

I like the cat litter idea. Might try that. I'd most definitely not put them through a washing machine.
snow report
I find it really hard to take my liners in and out as well. Boot warmers do the trick in resort and, at home, I just park my boots in the bottom of the airing cupboard.
snow conditions
the liners in and out thing is a tough one, i guess i find it easy as i do it thousands of times a season, the simplest way is this

liners out: place the boot on a surface facing away from you, make sure all buckles are undone, place one hand on the back of the shell gripping over the top and the other on the liner gripping in the same way, whilst holding the shell, push the liner away with some force... with most modern boot liners the liner should come up and out of the boot, this is much easier if the boots are at room temperature, it is really tough when they have been in the cold for a while

liners in: turn the boot so it is facing you, make sure all buckles are undone, make sure the tongue of the liner is in the liner and not sticking out at either side, point the toes into the top of the shell and with both hands push slowly down around the Achilles area, the liner will fold and form a Z shape in that area, keep pressing but slowly, as the liner starts to go round the corner then get you hands out (if you value your knuckles) and holding the top of the liner push gently until located into the shell
snow conditions
Quote:

the student attitude of self cleaning season long ski socks isn't going to do much for the smell of boot liners

Please can you tell my son that, this also applies to compression base layers Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
livetoski, Laughing spoo spoo
ski holidays
Sig. other put her liners through the tumble drier to dry them and warm them up. All the glue melted and the soles started to detach, and I had to mend them with super glue.

So I don't recommend doing that.
latest report
The Febreze seems to have done the job OK. Or maybe my feet actually aren't that pongey after all... Very Happy
snow report
I guess this is a pre problem tip, but I always spray my feet with a strong anti-persiprant before skiing. Drying liners is essential as everyone says.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy