Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Indoor slopes - have they any value?

Poster: A snowHead
So, once you've skiied more than a day, is there any value in going to an indoor slope?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
To have that choice would be nice
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've skiied for the last 25+ years and still enjoy the odd day on an artificial slope wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think so, though it does make me broody for the real thing.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think they are only any good for 1) Learning.2)Trying out new kit.3)Freestyle nights when the toys are out.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Indoors Slopes are huge business over here in The Netherlands but I dont use them. I got two massive complexes within 30 minutes of my house.
They have got uses like learning Snowbording or telemarking in a week in the middle of the summer or for that matter anytime of the year. Also the centres over here go in with the full monty apres ski 365 days a year !!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lots. Most UK skiers/boarders can improve there. Even good and experienced skiers/boarders can practice there if they're not doing that many days each year on real hills. Rails and ramps etc add another dimension. It can even be fun, as long as you don't stay too long. Oh, and you can test skis there NehNeh (see other thread! wink ).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For me it provides a bit of a 'hit' before the season starts, but couldn't spend more than an hour or two there and only go when the withdrawal symptoms get too bad.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes for regular training / coaching, being indoor would beat standing outside on a wet and cold winter's evening (which reminds me the season starts in 2 weeks - Kendal )
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I spent a day learning at MK before my first ski trip and was glad I did so after seeing how the instructor was with a complete beginner in the group. I only have 5 weeks in now and find it takes me a few days to get back into the swing of it. It seems to help if I go and do a morning at mk just before going
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
For someone who is waiting the first trip on the real stuff the indoor fix is the only alyternative.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you want a bit of race training I'd rate them as a better alternative to placcie slopes.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The best thing about an indoor (or plastic) slope, is that they are here in England. There is now way I would have made the (limited) progress I have done by just skiing on snow in the mountains.

IMHO, they are very good for 'blowing the cobwebs away', and also for developing technique. The unchanging nature of the surface (indoor snow or plastic), is perfect to pratise on, so as well as refining what you have - you can also pick new skills - telemarking, racing, fresestyle etc.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I can't say that I'm keen on either indoor slopes or plastic.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Must admit that I don't find skiing indoors or at dry slopes a particularly pleasurable experience. It can be a functional one, but for me it ends there.

For me, skiing is about the beauty of the mountains, the freshness of the air, the sun sparkling through snow-laden trees, the tranquility of the surroundings with no background hummings and whirrings of machinery, discovering new places and new runs, the thrill of achieving that run that you had struggled with before, the adrenaline rush that comes with skiing at speed, the laughs of skiing with others, the smells of cooking from piste side restaurants, vin chaud, etc etc etc. Bracknell and MK don't quite capture any of that.
snow report
Of course there is value in going to an indoor slope, if you can't get to a real one! Watching the kids race training the other Sunday morning at MK really made me realise how much benefit you can get from skiing there other than just whizzing down. If I lived closer I'd definitely try to join a club or at least go more often during the summer.
snow conditions
Ray Zorro, cant argue with any of that!
snow conditions
I wouldn't ski them regularly, but a couple of trips to Castleford in the weeks running up to the ski holiday makes an huge difference on the first day.
ski holidays
I skied quite a few times as a kid at the Harrogate dry slope in the mid '80s and then Sheffield when it first opened, but I could never really relax and go for it, as falls were just too painfull compared to snow.

Then I learned to snowboard at Tamworth and Cas when it first opened, and for that they're great, also for playing on the rails, though that's not really my thing. But I've never skied at either and wouldn't want to - 20 quid for an hour of the shortest, narrowest and busiest easy blue run you'll ever see....no thanks. I suppose for some people who feel like they "lose it" during the summer, a trip to an indoor slope could help you catch up before your holiday proper, but for me in half an hour at the resort I can cover more ground, and regain more form/style/technique/confidence than I could in a dozen visits to Cas!
snow conditions
I've been to the indoor slope at the Xscape at Castleford, near Leeds.

To be honest, the first time I went I was really in the wrong mindset. I knew how small the place was, and knew it was going to be limited, but sub-conciously I was still thinking real snow = as good as the real thing. That meant I was exceptionally bored.

However, half-way through I found out you could hire snow-blades. So with a pair of them on my feet it suddenly became fun. The slope was a bit messed up making for great fun on the bumps and lumps.

Have been a fair number of times since - sometimes to be silly on blades but also to concentrate on some technique exercises. The slope is good for practicing balance, weight distribution and edging practice.... the kind of thing you know you should do, but don't because it seems a waste of your holiday.

So they get the thumbs up from me. Very Happy
snow conditions
having recently discovered skiing again and not being able to wait till it snows again I think they are a great way to get back into skiing or whatever you strap to your feet.

Also I have managed to get the other half interested and she's making good progress with her lessons so when we go away we should be able to spend more time together on the slopes.

Bring them on I say, just... make the a lot cheaper !
latest report
having a bit of a renaissance with Hillend at the moment. Skiing well on plastic is tricky and challenging - but to a 'skiddy' extent can be done. Think it helps they have a brilliant kicker - I play on that when the super skilled 7 year olds aren't watching wink
snow conditions
Rho, welcome to snowHeads.

Snowblades though Shocked
snow report
Rho, you've got it about right IMHO. Welcome aboard, BTW.
snow conditions
It's good for drills and it helps to keep the addiction under control.

But I don't pay full price.
snow report
The boredom factor is huge for me and an hour is more than enough. I can see a use to warm up for the new season but I can't go often. I generally go along to help a newbie. Their enthusiasm just about gets me through the hour.
snow report
I've always found them useful for getting the legs going before you're 1st trip of the year. It's amazing how out of condition your legs can get when you do sod all between March and December waiting for the ski season to come round again Laughing
ski holidays
Rho, welcome to snowheads! Very Happy snowHead
Indoor slopes are ok for keeping your technique in check but for me it's all about the mountains, that's why i want to make skiing my life because of the whole mountain environment/atmosphere or whatever you call it!
Julia
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Plake wrote:
But I've never skied at either and wouldn't want to - 20 quid for an hour of the shortest, narrowest and busiest easy blue run you'll ever see....no thanks. !

You are going at the wrong time then-3 hours for £16 with a qualified instructor giving coaching is a much better option...
latest report
I just hope the one to be built at the trafford centre next year has the same rules about being able to control your speed/direction etc..

and have a good learner slope to keep them interested long enough.

"I like xscape cos it gives me that snow fix i need !"
snow report
BTW I've posted a "resort report" of the Bottrop Alpincenter in the Resorts forum with pics in the snowMedia Zone if anyone's interested.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy