Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Touring skis....I need helpful advice please!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm going on a weeks touring in April...having never done a whole week of touring & carrying all the kit I am very apprehensive! Has anybody tried the Trab skis? TRAB POLVERE or TRAB POLVERE or TRAB FREERANDO LIGHT. I was recommended to them yesterday but have no knowledge of this tiny outfit in Bormio. rolling eyes

I am 5'7" & only weigh 8 stone....so need all the help I can get! A lot of experience off piste but not long touring holidays (maybe that should read: torture rather than 'holiday'!)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I will recomend Trab polvere they are more wide under midfoot,, but for touring i will recomended to take a look for this one
http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-eur/shop/ski/skis/aspect-ski
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks mate....I picked them out too earlier this morning....black diamond seem to be the bizz too....it end up being more of a question of which I can hire....loath to buy yet more ski kit until I know if I like killing myself off with a group of sweaty stinky men for a week!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My gf's Dad uses Trab skis (not sure which model) for everything from powder days to big multi day trips to chilling out onpiste. He's a damn good skier although pretty oldschool in style, and likes them a lot. Light, and seem to be quality construction.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
York skibunny,

For touring, don't think it'll all be deep ski-video pow and be tempted to go too wide: mid 80s underfoot should be fine.

Wide = weight plus extra skin-friction/drag and is significant in full-days of touring, particularly as the greater percentage of your time will be in uphill mode.

It's superb: some occasional "torture", but that makes the rest of the good times even better. You'll deffo enjoy it, so get that credit card ready for more kit purchases Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You can get decent width underfoot but still superlight and with decent skins easy uphill. I am using Scott powd'airs, 100mm underfoot, ($300 from USA, old stock) fitted with Plum guides - awesome setup, light enough for the uphill and allows you to enjoy anything you will get on the down. Great in powder, crud, surprisingly stable on hard pack and ice. I expected this setup to be a big compromise but really happy. I use heavy BD factor boots so needed to make everything else as light as possible. Beware though, although you can pick up skis at great prices, impossible to find decent touring bindings discounted.

Oh yes - agree with geoffers - you will get hooked so start saving and have a great time! PS use merino kit (recommend Ortovox) to avoid the stinky bit. I reek after 5 mins in anything other than merino. Just makes everything more pleasant on a multi day trip ie you are not melting the snow around you with the fumes
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy