Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Another dolomiti hidden valley question

Poster: A snowHead
Evening all.

Used to post on here occasionally many moons ago but have been absent for ages owing to having had two children in quick succession...so apols for asking for information on my first posting in years.

Does anyone know whether it's possible to do the hidden valley run from Lazaguoi to Armentarola and back to Selva in a day without killing ourselves? We're staying in Selva.

Neither of us is very fit TBH but we can manage about 5 hours skiing in a day tops as long as there are quite a few sit-downs on chair lifts involved Embarassed

Any thoughts very much appreciated.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1949335&highlight=hidden+valley#1949335

See this thread
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
oh Embarassed

Thanks davegpr, I had forgotten about the search facility.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
robertsnerys, We did this a few days ago. Left Selva about 09.30 and got back around 16.30 with a diversion around Pralongiia in Alta Badia and a Bomardino and Lunch stop. You should be fine. Need to watch the piste map carefully in Alta Badia though. The2 way chairlift between Colvara and Colfosco is great for playing chairlift cricket. You pick a chair, wave and shout at them and see how many wave back. That's how many points you each get! The one with the least buys the drinks Smile
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just a warning about the waiting time.

The last section of Hidden Valley is flat and only good for walking. Before you walk to the horse drag there is a stopping place outside a pub where the skiers assemble together to get enough number to call a taxi which charges a fixed fee regardless of the number of passengers but it comes only if someone calls it. I am not sure if a bus service is available there too or not but precious time could be spent in "waiting". Think the bus or taxi only goes back to Lagazui so do check with the fellow skiers waiting there.

The horse drag is a waiting game too. The horse owner has two ropes. If he sees skiers coming he rolls out the first rope which can hook up about 50 skiers I think. When that rope fills up he rolls out the second rope and then you know it is not finished yet. The horse will not move until the its owner collects all the money from the skiers.

If that is not bad enough the horse drag does not deliver the skiers to the Armentarola chairlift but only to a point where there is still some walking to be done.

All in all please allow time wasted at the last section of the Hidden Valley.

It will be OK if you know exactly what to do. One can ski to Lagazui from Arabba using the World War I tour route which involves two bus rides and can last almost a full day itself. From Selva I believe the quickest way should be skiing to Armentarola, hop into a bus or a taxi to Lagazui and rejoin Armentarola after finishing the Hidden Valley.

It may be prudent to have a bit of cash to call a taxi if you miss the last chairlift. We did two years ago and it was 50 Euro back just to Arabba.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Don't have a long lunch and do it mid-week when the queues won't be as bad and you should be fine Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pjd wrote:
The2 way chairlift between Colvara and Colfosco is great for playing chairlift cricket. You pick a chair, wave and shout at them and see how many wave back. That's how many points you each get! The one with the least buys the drinks Smile

I love that chair (we call it the 'Horizontal' Smile ) -- waving at random chairs and getting blank looks (..."do we know those peoople dear?"...) ; calling out "Chaio Franko!" to anybody with a Moustache can be Hilarious ; or "Chaio Bella!" to a chair with some good-looking Girlies on can have its rewards Toofy Grin ;

Never thought of a scoring system tho; !!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Borest!

snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
saikee wrote:
Just a warning about the waiting time.

The last section of Hidden Valley is flat and only good for walking. Before you walk to the horse drag there is a stopping place outside a pub where the skiers assemble together to get enough number to call a taxi which charges a fixed fee regardless of the number of passengers but it comes only if someone calls it. I am not sure if a bus service is available there too or not but precious time could be spent in "waiting". Think the bus or taxi only goes back to Lagazui so do check with the fellow skiers waiting there.

I took that taxi back a couple of weeks ago, they are the taxis returning to Armentarola from Lagazuoi, If you have done the horse tow before, which lets be honest is pretty tame but you have to do it at least once, i reckon return taxi is the best option as it cuts out a lot of polling.

If it hasn't been mentioned the Scotoni which is just after the ice falls is the place for lunch.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Personally I think Hidden Valley is oversold by its name. However it does offer

(1) A run hidden from the public eye from start to finish.

(2) The valley has nothing except one place stop for lunch (Scotoni which is famous for its meaty BBQ lunch) and a pub near the end. Couldn't remember any inhabitant in it. The ski run is what this valley has.

(3) The run is unidirectional. The return is by a taxi (tel. No. available at the stop place outside the pub). The established route is to return to Lagzoui but there may be bus service to Armentarola. The bus service if exists does not appear to be a frequent one as most skiers/boarders prefer to walk a short short distance to join the horse tow which requires a wide and flat assembly point.

(4) A horse tow service is available to act as a surface drag lift to tow a group of skiers to a point near to Armentarola. Haven't seen another like this in the Alps so it is a unique feature of the Hidden Valley.

(5) The pub is famous for serving local wine, apparently set on fire before being drank as a group.

(6) The skiing is average (not particularly challenging or easy or high or long) and so is the scenery if comparing with the rest of Dolomites. You do feel the run is all yours to enjoy and nobody outside would know about it.

(7) Hidden Vally is actually linked with Cinque Torri (a very scenic unlinked area below Lagazoui which locates at about the highest point at the cross road of the 3 mountain passes to Alta Badia, Arabba and Cortina) and both are featured in the Cortina Ampezzo piste map.

(8 ) Both Hidden Valley and Cinque Torri are integral parts of the World War I skiing tour offered by the Dolomites.

For visitors from starting from Selva my recommendation would be ski to Armentarola, hop into a taxi going to Lagazoui, do the Haidden Valley run, when finish if time permitting use the horse tow back to Armentarola and ski back to Selva. If time is short forget the horse tow and ask the taxi to drop you off at Armentarola (before going back to Lagazoui and pay extra if you have to).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kel, Scotini is just before the ice falls...

saikee, (2) Not sure what you mean by the established route but every time I've been there the standard offering is back to Armenterola - which can also extend back to San Cassiano saving the walk and drag lift, but never been offered back to the top: it's a taxi so it goes where you pay it to.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
RobW,

I stand corrected, knew it was just before or after, but was leaning to after.

BTW the return taxi instead of the horse tow is €2 pp with a minimum of 5 taking the taxi.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
saikee,
Would have to disagree with point 6, even using the rest of the Dolomites as a comparison I still think it is dramatic, not just the ice falls but the view from the viewing platform at the top, jaw droppingly awe inspiring.

If you have never done the Hidden Valley it is a must if you are in the area.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RobW,

You are absolutely right the taxi will go whenever directed by the passengers. I said "established" because Lagazoui seems to be what other passengers want during my visits, bearing in mind if visitors want Armentrola they seem to prefer the Horse tow.

Kel,

Agree the top of Lagazoui at 2752m is spectacular even though there are also Tofana (3244m) and Forcella Staunies (2930m) too within Cortina D'Ampezzo area alone.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
robertsnerys, To answer the original question. Yes definitely doable in a day. My advice is to start early so you can get to the Scotoni refugio for an early lunch (before 12.30). That way you'll avoid the queues and won't waste any time. The famed mixed grill lunch is a dish for two consisting of a platter of barbequed meat with potato and polenta. Delicious.

The horse tow is fun and not at all difficult, just a bit of a laugh. It instantly transforms everyone on the ropes into a big child! The poling is a bit of a pain, but not so bad if you're ready for it.
ski holidays
We did the Hidden Valley from Selva last Wednesday, Chalet host said 1 to 1.5 hours steady, we did the circuit from Selva to Valley, Scotoni was rammed, so onto the horse tow, and La Fania restaurant at the top of Covara in 3 hours steady, we are all 50 something skiers who have loads of photographs and were in no particular hurry, but even by Dolomite standards it was spectacular
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy