Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dutch Prince caught in avalanche in Lech

Poster: A snowHead
Avalanche Academy, not disagreeing with most of what you say, but I'm not sure you can substantiate this?

"However it seems that in Lech they may be quicker to open the lifts."

Seems a little speculative to me.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nozawaonsen, yeah, just realized my mistake.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://ph.news.yahoo.com/photos/aerial-view-fridays-avalanche-lech-photo-095507718.html

See attached link (hope it works) Puzzled to an aerial view of the site of the avalanche taken on Sat. Sad I saw an Austrian TV news item which showed the area of the avalanche being above Zug in the off piste to the far left of ski route 48 (Zugertobel) (on your left hand side if you were skiing down that run off the top). Looking at the interactive piste map for Lech/Zurs just now, that lower section of the mountain is closed, which suggests that the report was accurate. Ski safe.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
the Prince´s ski partner at the time namely Herr Florian Moosbrugger is under investigation by the police for "fahrlässige Körperverletzung" = physical injury resulting from negligence.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
http://www.oe24.at/oesterreich/chronik/Prinz-Friso-hat-massive-Hirnschaeden-Er-liegt-im-Koma/57400925

- Prince Friso has massive Brian damage.
- Unclear whether he will ever regain consciousness.
- Suffered a 50 minute cardiac arrest.

Sad.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - Dutch Prince Johan Friso, who was buried in an avalanche a week ago while skiing in Austria, has suffered severe brain damage and may not come out of a coma, his doctor told a press conference on Friday.

Queen Beatrix's middle son, who gave up his right to the throne a decade ago, was skiing off-piste near Lech in the Austrian Alps, when he was caught in an avalanche. He was trapped under the snow for 25 minutes before he was pulled out unconscious, and has been in critical condition ever since.

"Because the prince was stuck under the snow for a very long time, he did not get enough oxygen," his doctor, Wolfgang Koller, told a press conference.

"The lack of oxygen led to a cardiac arrest, which lasted for 50 minutes. During this entire period the patient had to be resuscitated. This is an exceptionally long period, you can say too long a period," Koller said.

Koller said if the 43-year-old, hospitalised in Innsbruck near Lech since February 17, wakes from the coma his "rehabilitation will take months, possibly years."

Does not bode well, quite sad.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sad My thoughts go out to his family, especially his wife and two young children.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
http://www.rnw.nl/english/article/sombre-outlook-dutch-prince-friso
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thoughts go out to the family in a very difficult time.
ive seen people recover from some truly horrific injuries, lets hope he can do it as well, and wake up...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
How sad. Queen Beatrix looks much older than her 73 years in the picture, unsurprisingly. Sad
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Another reminder that the mountains are no respecter of rank or privilage.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
After 6 months Austrain investigators (Feldkirch) have completed there investigations.

No comment has been made on the report. It now moves to the the Supreme Prosecutors Office (OStA Innsbruck) for consideration. This could take several more weeks.

Queen Beatrix has been flying to London every weekend to visit the Prinz.

Obvioulsy not put off by Lech am Arlberg, the Crown Prinz Willem Alexander (Brother and aire) was in Lech last weekend for a hiking holiday.

http://www.tt.com/Tirol/5319382-2/prinz-friso--staatsanwaltschaft-schloss-ermittlungen-ab.csp
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
How is the prince?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
8611 wrote:
How is the prince?

He has been a coma (In a London Hospital) since the incident.

Unless, there is some astounding miracle or medical science discovery he will remain in a coma until he dies.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Beats being seen naked in Youtube!
latest report
stanton, one of my best friends was in such a coma, it took 2 years for his body to die.
His mother died shortly after, not sure what the medical description of a "broken heart" would be, but that was clearly the cause.

I hope that the Prince has a speedy resolution which will allow his family and loved ones to move their lives on.
ski holidays
Just to close this off:

1) the poor geezer is still in a coma according to Wikipedia and
2) for what it is worth, in my view the black humour thing is OK IF you are a participant. In this case if you ski off piste at a reasonably serious level I think you can rightfully assay a darker jest. I have been involved in many 'dangerous pursuits' and it is common to all of them that black humour surfaces from time to time. The element of possible bad taste is always present and is judged by the participants as to whether or not it is over the line. What is also common is that non-participants are generally not welcome to contribute. I believe it is because it is felt they have not earned the right. Last time I was in the firing line for this type of humour was following an accident off piste. My ski tip had hit packed ice, popped up off the binding and broke my nose (I was going at quite a clip). By the time we got back to civilisation all medical assistance had vanished (France, needless to say) so I had to pack my nostrils and re-position the break myself. The stick I got at the time was all of the black humour variety and it was OK by me despite the degree of pain I was suffering (no pain killers available either). However, if our waiter that evening had tried to join in, he might have regretted it. Black humour is inevitable and very human - in this case I think the Prince might have had a giggle himself and I certainly did not think anyone was being offensive. People need to chillax a bit.
ski holidays
RattytheSnowRat, you were doing great, right up to the point where you wrote 'chillax'.
ski holidays
RattytheSnowRat wrote:
By the time we got back to civilisation all medical assistance had vanished (France, needless to say) so I had to pack my nostrils and re-position the break myself.

Definitely not "needless to say". Where were you staying in France that had no doctors in the vicinity? Having to reposition a broken nose yourself... Skullie
latest report
Quote:

one of my best friends was in such a coma, it took 2 years for his body to die.
His mother died shortly after, not sure what the medical description of a "broken heart" would be, but that was clearly the cause.

Sad Sad Sad This kind of thing is just so terrible, for everybody concerned. If you wouldn't want to spend 2 years dying in a coma with those who love you looking on helplessly .... another plug for a Lasting Power of Attorney. Give someone you trust the power to switch off the machines.
latest report
In January it will be seven years that Ariel Sharon has been in a coma. Shocked
snow conditions
miranda wrote:

Definitely not "needless to say". Where were you staying in France that had no doctors in the vicinity? Having to reposition a broken nose yourself... Skullie

You'd definitely set your own nose when you saw the price of a french private clinic and pain relief in the form of a suppository.
snow report
Quote:

This kind of thing is just so terrible, for everybody concerned. If you wouldn't want to spend 2 years dying in a coma with those who love you looking on helplessly .... another plug for a Lasting Power of Attorney. Give someone you trust the power to switch off the machines.

I know it's an very difficult issue but just remember this case

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/6715313.stm
snow report
Quote:

I know it's an very difficult issue but just remember this case

That doesn't change my view. There's no way I'd want to put somebody through the ordeal of looking after me for 19 years, moving me every hour to prevent bedsores, on the very slim chance that I might wake up in 2031.

And in terms of funding for the NHS there are far, far, better ways of spending the immense resources which would be involved.
ski holidays
and he died of a heart attack a year later - doctors thought the long period in a coma had weakened his heart. As it would.
latest report
RattytheSnowRat, I don't follow your point re dark humour. At first reading one would think you were suggesting that since it is ok for people to jest at you because you broke your nose, it is ok for them to joke about the prince's coma, so long as they have off-piste skied. But that doesn't make sense so clearly I am missing something
snow report
saikee wrote:
Beats being seen naked in Youtube!

That's a bit over the line I think.
snow report
No time to translate.

Basically the report has been forwarded & received by the Department of Justice.

www.google.at/#q=arlberg&hl=en&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=nws&sa=X&ei=0dlZUMXnNIuQ0QWZ3YHQCg&ved=0CAoQ_AUoBA&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=cafd9501d3f89fab&biw=1280&bih=642
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stanton, that's Ok, we're all fluent in many languages here.
snow conditions
Some signs of life..

http://www.telegraaf.nl/binnenland/21093296/__Zeer_gering_bewustzijn_prins_Friso__.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20399146
snow report
It's not sounding very good though is it, poor guy Sad
latest report
Over seven months since the last news of Prince Johan Friso (following the avalanche in February 2012) he continues in a "... state of “minimal consciousness” but no further hospital treatment is considered necessary, according to a statement today from the Dutch royal family. The family have returned him to Holland from England.

http://www.680news.com/2013/07/09/dutch-prince-friso-still-in-coma-after-2012-skiing-accident-returns-to-netherlands/

Quote:
Friso had been in The Wellington hospital in London, which is renowned for its neurosurgery and rehabilitation facilities, since shortly after being engulfed by an avalanche while skiing in Austria
snow conditions
A little more detail on this, from NL Times ...

http://www.nltimes.nl/2013/07/10/friso-in-the-hague/

Last year, because Holland has a stronger euthanasia movement than other European countries, there was some discussion in the media about this aspect of Prince Friso's predicament ...

Solicitors Journal 31 August 2012
http://www.solicitorsjournal.com/news/private-client/vulnerable-clients/fate-dutch-prince-highlights-euthanasia-gulf

Quote:
The fate of Prince Friso, the Dutch prince who has remained in a coma in a London hospital for six months after he was hit by an avalanche in Austria, has highlighted the gulf between euthanasia laws in Britain and Holland.

According to a report in The Times today, Heleen Dupuis, a leading member of the Dutch Senate, said: “Had the prince been sent to a Dutch hospital, doctors would probably have turned off the life support systems because there is such a slim possibility that he will ever recover.”

The comment, according to the paper, broke a “long public silence” that followed the skiing accident in February, in which the prince was trapped under heavy snow and his brain starved of oxygen, and “reignited a longstanding national discussion about how and when to end life”.
ski holidays
While Holland do have a progressive attitude on the topic of euthenasia, the thing being discussed here is the withdrawl of assistance, something that is well understood and practiced here, as well as other EU nations - something that would have been discussed with the family by the clinicians in the UK, and may well be behind their decision to return the prince to Holland now. While you may argue that this is just semantics, the topics of assisted suicide and the sad situation of Prince Johan are different.

It's another timely reminder to discuss your own thoughts on the matter with your own family.
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways,
You are spot on there I think the last sentence in the Solicitors journal article shows that this issue is not about voluntary euthanasia.

In Holland to practise euthanasia ''The patient must have a ‘correct and clear’ understanding of his or his condition and the prognosis. ''
Which is clearly not the case here.
ski holidays
Just heard that he's died..

Sad news, RIP

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-23669317
snow report
RIP, Prince Johan Friso
latest report
HoneyBunny, agreed. Very sad for his family.
snow report
Very sad. RIP
latest report
He was bought back to The Netherlands some weeks ago.

Although Euphansia is widely accepted, most of the Dutch Royals are Protestants so there was no chance of this option taking place.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy