Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Grave Tragedy

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Most probably know this already, but one should watch the 2007 movie "Steep" for insight into this, if they haven't already. It's on Lovefilm I think, or NetFlix. It includes the Doug Combs story told by him and his wife. Quite moving I found it. It also tells of the first few extreme-steep explorers, mostly French, who felt "more than alive" when on the edge and/or pushing the limits of what had been skied before. The talk of living life to the full made me think of it, was all.

Some people live in gears 1 - 5 their whole life, and die at 80+, some people choose to find gears 6 - 10, and/or spend as much time as they can in 10, often with loss of life resulting. I nearly said "often with tragic endings" but as Doug Combs wife hints at in Steep, is it really a tragedy to have lived the life you would have always wanted to, experiencing the things you dreamed of, every day (they were Alaska fans after 1st visit, going repeatedly for many years, owing to unique powder/snow quality and terrain there, before moving to La Grave for the proximity to a similar "on the edge experience", just 5 minutes from the cheese shop and their house Very Happy ), and then to die (heroically too), doing the sport you love? To some yes, to others, me included, I'm not sure.

(And I think to find a wife who has the capacity to love skiing as much as that is freaking awesome too. Doug, you legend!)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time. ~Mark Twain

Some people are so afraid to die that they never begin to live. ~Henry Van Dyke

He who doesn't fear death dies only once. ~Giovanni Falcone

Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free. ~Jim Morrison
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
.. and get ready to be considered for the Charles Darwin award.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy