Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scottish independence vote - what happens to BASI after ?

Poster: A snowHead
Just a thought !!

If the Scottish vote goes for independence, what happens to BASI.

Any ideas – SASI / EASI / WASI / NIASI / etc
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We get to keep the BASI HQ at Glenmore, plus north sea oil ? Whilst still getting free university education ? And no nucelar submarines.. NehNeh

Most likely scenario IMHO for 2014 is that Scots vote for option 3 of 'further devolved and tax raising powers' whilst remaining part of the UK. However lots of questions to be answered before then.

BASI is the least of those issues. However the campaign for a single 'snowsport UK organisation' for all of skiing & boarding seems to have run out of steam recently. So at present we still have individual snowsport scotland / england / wales organisations etc. Even if Scotland does vote to go alone politically there is no reason why BASI couldnt carry on as they are ?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wayne, Good to see you have recovered from 'Man Flu' wink

It would be interesting to see how the BASI membership breaks down into nationalities. Then locate the HQ in the nation where most members come from.

Why does the BASI 'bus' have scottish stickers instead of GB Puzzled if we are the British Association of Snowsport Instructors Puzzled
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
^ For what its worth apparently Edinburgh has more BASI members that any other UK city.

Personally I think its quite right that BASI remain to be based in Aviemore area. This is their historical home since founded in the 1960s by Frith Finlayson etc. It is also next to the UKs largest ski area (Cairngorm) and the biggest outdoor training centre (Glenmore Lodge).

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 17-01-13 12:06; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Their business is milking English (and other home countries) of money in exchange for ski training. I doubt they will want to give that up for the smallish Scottish market. Still English skiers can also go through other country's systems, there are some qualified through the ENSA.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Personally I think its quite right that BASI remain to be based in Aviemore area. This is their historically home since they were founded in the 1960s by Frith Finlayson etc. It is also next to the UKs largest ski area (Cairngorm) and the biggest outdoor training centre (Glenmore Lodge).
Nope. Not been based in Glenmore for a few years. These days in Grantown On Spey.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Aviemore area = Spey Valley. New office in Grantown only a few miles away from old one.

Even if Scotland goes alone there is no reason why BASI couldnt carry on virtually as they are representing the home nations though ?

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 16-02-12 21:20; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stewart woodward wrote:
Wayne, Good to see you have recovered from 'Man Flu' wink

Hi Stewart, I haven’t, but I am valiantly carrying on with a stoic English reserve that remains the corner-stone of the land of Wordsworth, Shakespeare, Churchill, HP source, gullible tourists, warm beer, and all that is still decent in this world. An Englishman will never succumb to a simple (even if fiendishly evil, and, to a non instructor, almost certainly fatal) virus. Cue Land of Hope And Glory.

Oh yeah, even took Admin on a little off-piste whizz around today over to Madonna di Campiglio and included the S'D (70% world cup run).

Anyway So, if Scotland goes independent, so not part of GB any more, what would happen to BASI. Would Scotland start issuing new passports ? Although I can’t see this as much of a problem as BASI has many nationalities as members already. But, where would the office be? If it was in Scotland , it would be the SASI and I would not have a Scottish passport, so would I be classed as a foreign member.

Very strange thing to have no EASI. But if we did, what would happen to my shares in BASI – could I take some of the bricks from the new office: I do own a few I think?

If the newly independent country of Scotland was not in the EU – which, by all accounts they couldn’t be, as they wouldn’t meet the requirements – would I be able to teach on Nevis Range or Glencoe?

How many people would join EASI or SASI ?

Oh well, it was just a thought.

Now then, an independent Wigan. There’s an idea. I want a referendum.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
^ nope - no good reason why Scotland wouldnt be eligible for EU membership *if* they vote for full independence

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 16-02-12 21:52; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Haggis_Trap wrote:
no good reason why Scotland wouldnt be eligible for EU membership *if* they vote for full indiependence

Would they have to get rid of all those funny notes and use Euro's ?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That is one of the many complex issues to be decided and debated...
Hence the reason for referendum not until 2014.
Most likely we stay in the £UK - because that is what our share of the national debt would be in!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Haggis_Trap wrote:
^ nope - no good reason why Scotland wouldnt be eligible for EU membership *if* they vote for full indiependence

Me and my good mate (who I’ve worked with for the past 17 years) had this very discussion a while back in the Highlands of Peru. He is an SNP councillor and, let’s just say I ain’t. We agreed to disagree.

But now I always win the Scottish independence argument, by just reminding him of that night in Lima, the sick, the rather strange lady boys (one of em had stubble and my mate was sooooo pi$$ed he didn’t notice ), the hotel “incident” with the honey and the Jacuzzi - that’s when he found out it was a lady boy – you had to be there, to see a naked jock chasing a bloke in a dress around the hotel reception so he could beat the ** out of him/her/it and the receptionist chasing em both trying to wack em with a big brush Laughing Laughing Laughing , and ...... let’s just say what goes on tour, stays on tour.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Haggis_Trap, isn't this independence thing really all about just one fat geezer's utterly mahoosive ego? Most likely Scotland stays in the UK because those establishment chappies in the shadows will fix it.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I don't think BASI is going to make an official comment on this at the moment!

Quote:

Most likely we stay in the £UK - because that is what our share of the national debt would be in!

Interesting. No-one ever mentions that, but to be fair it would need to be split...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wayne, They should move the office down to Dover as I have banged on about for years; we had skis stored there for test etc in the 90s. most of the work is in France or on the road out of Southern England, why have the office and admin miles from it?
snow conditions
Quote:
Bode Swiller isn't this independence thing really all about just one fat geezer's utterly mahoosive ego?

No - it is about the fact Scotland clearly rejected both the blue and red party's in recent elections. People have realised in recent years that the Scottish parliament has done a lot of good - for example maintaining free higher education. So why should Scotland continue to be governed by a government that we did not elect ? Perhaps what England actually needs is it own regional Parliament(s) ? More like the federal / canton system in Germany or CH ?

Quote:
Cynic - They should move the office down to Dover as I have banged on about for years

The arrogant assumption that all national organisations (such as BASI) are better relocated to Southern England is actually quite patronising. By definition the United kingdom = 4 nations working together (not England ruling everyone else). By your own logic BASI would be better just relocating to, say, Meribel rather than Dover ?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 17-02-12 10:30; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Haggis_Trap wrote:

Perhaps what England actually needs is it own regional Parliament(s) ? More like the federal / canton system in Germany or CH ?

England should have its own parliament, there's a Welsh Assembly, Scottish Parliament, in which English MPs have no say on matters debated, yet for English matters discussed in Westminster, Scottish, Welsh & N.I MPs have a vote on English matters.

Doesn't need a separate building, just the exclusion of the other home nations MPs from the debate and vote.
latest report
Didn't this all get sorted out in a big fight ages ago?? Cool
ski holidays
One good thing if The Kilt wearing, Ginger Headed, Sun Fearing types do get independence, I will be able to proudly put English, NOT British on all those stupid diversity questionaires you get.
snow report
Timbobaggins, I put English anyway.
ski holidays
There will be no need for BASI in Scotland because skiing will be impossible as everybody who can afford to ski will be paying an additional luxury holiday and pursuits tax instead.

This will be one of many additional taxes, that Fat Eck, sorry the Dear Leader, sorry Der Fuhrer will put in place on anyone with a job or a business or anything approaching a disposable income to keep his army of the unemployed, the feckless and the terminally stupid voting for him. That and showing Braveheart the night before every election. Oh and lowering the voting age to 2.

That will be life in the (stupid) Peoples Republic of Scotland.

P.S. if you want an investment tip- buy property in Carlisle.
ski holidays
Now then, pack it in all of you; or it’ll be the naughty step for the lot you.

So, back to the question.

The way I see it (and I freely admit to being rather dim, so may be wrong), the situation is this:
1 BASI is the “British” Association of .......... etc etc.
2 Some people don’t want to Scotland to be in Britain any more.
3 If Scotland leaves British and becomes whatever this will still leave our office up there – in a (now) foreign country.
4 No national skiing association is actually sited in foreign country

So (again)
Puzzled what happens to BASI (and our assets in Scotland).
Puzzled will the new SASI buy our shares?
Puzzled will the EASI be able to join the ISIA?
Puzzled will we get new bling (sorry, badges) without the blue cross in the middles.
Puzzled will there be an elocution and pronunciation module in the L1, to decide ethnicity,
Puzzled will Diane (and the rest of the training dept) be forced to watch a few hundred hours of Eastenders to learn how to pronounce Rikkkkky,
Puzzled will our old L’s be recognised by EASI,

etc,
etc.
ski holidays
Geographically, The People's Republic of Scotland will still be part of the British Isles so I think using the word "British" might still be OK. On a bigger scale, what will happen to BT, BP, BA, BAE etc? What's needed is a buffer zone - suggest Berwick on Tweed becomes a stateless, lawless, factory outlet shopping experience and free port where problems like BASI can be parked until the situation is clearer.
snow report
Will we be rebuilding the wall? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Will the level 3 language module now include Scottish and English as options?
latest report
Research indicates that over 10% of the "British" nation have an Irish grandparent or great grandparent, so you can all join IASI www.iasisnowsports.ie

In fact you don't even need Irish heritage! Just along as you know the words to A Fairy Tale In New York your In!

PSG
snow report
gilleski, excellent. Does this get me trainer status?

Quote:
It was Christmas Eve babe
In the drunk tank
An old man said to me, won't see another one
And then he sang a song
The Rare Old Mountain Dew
I turned my face away
And dreamed about you

Got on a lucky one
Came in at eighteen to one
I've got a feeling
This year's for me and you
So Happy Christmas
I love you baby
I can see a better time
When all our dreams come true

They've got cars big as bars
They've got rivers of gold
But the wind goes right through you
It's no place for the old
When you first took my hand
On a cold Christmas Eve
You promised me
Broadway was waiting for me

You were handsome
You were pretty
Queen of New York City
When the band finished playing
They howled out for more
Sinatra was swinging,
All the drunks they were singing
We kissed on a corner
Then danced through the night

The boys of the NYPD choir
Were singing "Galway Bay"
And the bells were ringing out
For Christmas day

You're a bum
You're a punk
You're an old slut on junk
Lying there almost dead on a drip in that bed
You scumbag, you maggot
You cheap lousy faggot
Happy Christmas your back bottom
I pray God it's our last

Still singing "Galway Bay"
And the bells were ringing out
For Christmas day

I could have been someone
Well so could anyone
You took my dreams from me
When I first found you
I kept them with me babe
I put them with my own
Can't make it all alone
I've built my dreams around you

Still singing "Galway Bay"
And the bells are ringing out
For Christmas Day
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, Ok, you passed that with no problem. Now for the drinking test. It's a bit like the Eurotest......but it takes place in the pub!

PSG
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gilleski wrote:
Now for the drinking test. It's a bit like the Eurotest......but it takes place in the pub!

PSG

Lots of snowHead could be 'openers' Very Happy
latest report
Wayne wrote:

So, back to the question.

1 BASI is the “British” Association of .......... etc etc.

So if Scotland do vote for independance and are therefore not part of the UK anymore perhaps BASI will need a new name
How about the British and Scottish Association of .... etc etc.

or perhaps just the Scottish Association of etc etc

and then the remaining part of the UK can set up a new Association, with a headquarters in Britain.

Also consider that BASI currently uses Scottish law, so this will need to be changed too.
snow report
Mrs W wrote:
How about the British and Scottish Association of .... etc etc.

Can't see that working - what about the British and FRench and Scottish Association of .... etc
Or
British and Scottish and Gernam and Swiss Association of .... etc
Nope- it's a non starter. It meant to be a "national" association not some combined conflab of a thingy

That's the whole idea of independence; that you become, well, independent and accept all the duties, roles and costs involved in this.

Oh and contrary to what Mr Salmon assumes, the over-whelming majority of English people have absolutely no interest whatsoever in whether Scotland remains in the UK or not. I think the only consensus (among non-politicians) is that if they vote for independence then it should be complete, not some half-asrsed cop-out which involves us paying more and more to fund an ever increasing disparity in a political weave to maintain the UK as a union.

Hardly anyone I have personally spoken to in Scotland (we have an office in Edinburgh) really believes that they would have the same standard of living based on tax revenue from the (now-depleted) Oil, a few bottles of whiskey and some tourists. Of course everyone may be wrong the SNP may be right, I honestly don’t know and really don’t care.

But (back on topic)

If the assets of BASI are located in a foreign country are we going to sell them and use (our share of) the proceeds to fund the acquisition of a new office in London, Cardiff or Belfast or somewhere else in the UK.

I don’t know how many current BASI members would join either the new SASI or stay in BASI but it would need to be enough to fund the running of the SASI – the days of free universities and, possibly, free assoc's offices, may (if Mr Salmon has his way) be coming to an end. wink
snow conditions
Quote:

They should move the office down to Dover as I have banged on about for years; we had skis stored there for test etc in the 90s. most of the work is in France or on the road out of Southern England, why have the office and admin miles from it?

Response from BASI:

BASI did undertake a feasibility study that considered different locations before buying Morlich House in Grantown on Spey and it was discovered that not only for historical and political reasons but also for viability and costs it was more advantageous to the Association to remain in Badenoch & Strathspey as opposed to elsewhere. Whilst there are Members that work overseas, BASI remains a UK Association, with the vast majority of Members domiciled and working in the UK.
ski holidays
I suspect "the vast majority of Members domiciled and working in the UK" are working at something other than ski instruction as their day job.
latest report
beanie1 wrote:
Response from BASI:

BASI remains a UK Association, with the vast majority of Members domiciled and working in the UK.

All joking aside, I think that's not really an answer.
If BASI is, as you say, a UK Assoc. and Scotland is no longer in the UK, what will happen to BASI and our office.

Most people assume that Mr Salmon is just using this whole thing to screw more cash from London, but if it all backfires and he wins, we will have a situation where BASI is based in a foreign country - May as well be France, Australia, Tibet, but it should be based in the UK - shouldn't it?

OK, Scotland may well still be in the commonwealth, but then again so is Uganda. So, looking at the non-statement from BASI, if Mr Salmon wins, we may as well be based in Kampala !!
ski holidays
Wayne, the statement from BASI is addressing the question raised by Cynic, asking why the office is located in Scotland. It was not a response in relation to your original post on this thread, upon which BASI has no comment at this time. As far as I'm aware BASI has not yet internally addressed this issue and so has no official stance yet.
snow report
Not sure about the argument that BASI needs to be based in the UK.

Lots of organisations outsource various bits overseas (or in this case overland).

Sure, you can have a UK head-office (read mail forwarding address) if you want to. Bit of face saving and all that.

Mike
latest report
olderscot wrote:
Not sure about the argument that BASI needs to be based in the UK.

I would think it does. Can’t think of any other European ski instructor’s associations that are based in foreign lands.

Oh well, as Beanie1 says (sort of) we’ll just have to wait and see what happens.

No worries, it was just a thought.
snow report
No need to worry, It will never happen.

Mr Salmond is a very canny politician. Late ref. dates etc. etc. He wants DevoMax, not independence - he knows that Scotland would make Greece look like an Arab Oil State within 5 years if it became independent. It is only the (historic/flawed/biased) Betteridge formula that currently keeps my homeland afloat.
ski holidays
The plot thickens

One thing is really simple

Under Article 49 of the Lisbon Treaty any state wishing to apply to join the EU needs unanimous support of all the current member states.

Everything else is a little more complex.

Given that Spain has many regions who are closely watching the Scottish independence vote with a view to doing the same themselves, the Spanish government has said that they will vote against allowing a newly independent Scotland entry to the EU

The Spanish stance isn’t the only problem facing a (possibly) newly independent Scotland. Jose Manuel Barroso (president of the European Commission) has stated publically "if one part of a country wants to become an independent state, of course as an independent state it has to apply to the European membership according to the rules. That is obvious."

However, Scotland’s Deputy First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said “We do not agree that an independent Scotland will be in the position of having to reapply for European Union membership because there is no provision for removing EU treaties from any part of EU territory, or for removing European citizenship from the people of a country which has been in the EU for 40 years,"

Herriot Watt (Edinburgh) University law dept has said “The SNP’s position is that they have been citizens of the EU for decades and this citizenship cannot be removed. This is a fundamentally flawed viewpoint as they (the SNP) have had EU citizenship rights conferred upon them solely due to their rights as citizens the greater UK; which is a member of the EU. People do not have EU citizenship and nor can people join the EU, only states can. If you are a citizen of a newly independent state that is not a member of the EU then any rights you may have enjoyed previously will immediately be removed”.

OK so what does all this mean for BASI – well I don’t have a clue.

But, if we hone it down a bit (being a selfish sod like I am) what does this mean for me. Well it means that I’m-all-right-jack, as I’m a citizen of the UK which gives me the right to work in the EU. This is important as, regardless of the BASI grade, I need this to be able to work legally within the EU.

Of course the situation in Switzerland will not change, but those BASI members, who hold a Scottish passport working (at the moment) in the EU (France, Italy, Austria, etc), we’ll just have to wait and see.
snow report
Wayne, has the SNP said how they will decide whether someone will be Scottish or British? Will it depend on where you were born? If so what about those Scots working in England? Or where you live - if so what about the English working in Scotland?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy