Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Heel wedges for shifting weight forward

Poster: A snowHead
Hello everybody

I saw this blog today

http://www.maddogski.com/news-and-blogs/ski-better-stand-taller

He talks about inserting heel wedges in his boots, which moves your weight over the front of the boot.

When the going gets tough I often find myself on my heels. Are there any reasons why heel wedges would be a bad idea?

Cheers

PJ
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Stand on a flat surface in your bare feet.
Now get someone to force a wedge under one of your heels. The pressure under your heel has increased, not decreased.

It doesn't work. The secret to solving your problem is lots of foundation exercises to improve your dynamic balance. Any decent instructor can help you out with this.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
yep agree with telford_mike. In some cases a wedge under the heels make you feel like you're toppling forward so you sit back even more to compensate, just what you are trying to prevent
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
eversolazy, What the guy wrote...

Quote:
At the start of this season I noticed that my boots (new last season) were slightly loose and I could lift my heels. So I bought some wedges to fit under my heels, and now the boots fit perfectly. But a side effect of the wedge is that a quarter inch movement in my heel translates into a body position that is six inches further forward. So when things are going well my weight is on the ball of my foot, and when I panic and lean back my weight is still nicely poised over the centre of my feet. Result is, when I have an “Oh! Sh*t!” moment, I stay in control, and instead of things going from bad to worse, the additional control increases my confidence and makes it easier to lean further forward, which gives me even more control.

So if you want to improve your skiing, don’t go out and buy those new skis with the go faster stripes, get yourself a pair of heel wedges!

... is the biggest load of tosh I've ever heard.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If they are good enough for Lindsey ....... wink

http://bilder.bild.de/fotos-skaliert/vonn-cover-sports-illustrated-24265725-mfb-hoch-21724642/2,h=343.bild.jpg
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wedges/lifts "inside" the boot I was under the impression opens the ankle! Anything outside the boot may be a different matter.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DB, ok, that's an approved design.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
telford_mike wrote:
Stand on a flat surface in your bare feet.
Now get someone to force a wedge under one of your heels. The pressure under your heel has increased, not decreased.

It doesn't work. The secret to solving your problem is lots of foundation exercises to improve your dynamic balance. Any decent instructor can help you out with this.

This sounds right, last year I had a similar idea and put some cork wedges in my boots. Had to stop after 30mins due to heel pain, not bothered to try again.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

When the going gets tough I often find myself on my heels.

that's probably true of a lot of us. It's taken me a long time and a lot of good lessons to get out of that very bad habit most of the time. Not all, sadly. Need to keep practising.

If you stand on your feet, on a hard floor (having taken the wedges suggested above out wink ) you can feel what a very slight difference - usually just flexing the ankles so the hips come over the feet - is needed to shift your weight forward.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Remind me, which end of foot beds are thickest?

There is some logic in the mans argument though not quite as simplistic as it seems.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 16-02-12 18:34; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Rishie, normally the end nearest the guy making them
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
eversolazy, sounds like you need to sort out your fore and aft balance not blame the tools. One drill I can suggest is on an easy and quiet slope try skiing a bit with your boots completely undone. In this way the boot gives no fore or aft support, thus you'll soon learn to centre correctly in the boot. Keep skiing like this for at least a few runs, you may start off feeling a tad wobbly but soon settle into it. Be careful with this drill as you will not have the normal control for a while, hence start on easy and quiet slope. I used to ski with too much forward lean, this drill helped to sort that out. Getting pushed back in bumps or steeper stuff could also be down to several reasons such as bad general stance, not committing down the hill enough, not driving the hands forward, swinging the upper body around too much, etc.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
eversolazy, Do you ski in a Salomon SX90?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
eversolazy, the guy is saying a quarter of an inch lift "inside" his boot supposedly translates to making his body position 6 inches further forward, look at the lindsey vonn link above, her wedges are a little bigger than a quarter inch, so going on matey's calculations she should be flat on her face!

The reason she is not is because her ankles are compensating for the difference and opening, it would be the same if put "inside" the ski boot but obviously this is limited by space but 1/4" would just open her ankle not throw her 6" forward.

If the guy had put the 1/4 outside of his boot heel it would tilt the whole boot & cuff forwards so you would think this would force/move the whole body position forwards also, but it often has the reverse effect because the person can feel overly off balance forward so they have to compensate and drop the hips back.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bode Swiller, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
eversolazy, there is a big difference in effect between having a "ramp angle" or Zeppa inside your boot with heel lifts and baseboards and having a Delta angle with the connection to your skis..

lots of terminology to digest , have a look at http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=31885 to understand the differences...

gatecrasher, is correct in that heel lifts inside the boot change the ankle position but have only a very small effect on your fore aft balance.

delta angle on the other hand can have a huge effect on fore aft and hip position....
ski holidays
I did own a pair of SX81s many years ago! Saw an old boy wearing SX71s the other week, I suspect his technique was better than mine. I've only recently discovered the difference that having my weight forward makes, what a revelation! Yes, practice practice practice.

PJ
latest report
skimottaret, well, that's no flippin' use: it says 'Delta Angle - TBD' Laughing
snow report
Pedantica, Laughing Laughing Embarassed Embarassed i think i gave up by that point, delta angle was probably the final nail in my geek coffin
ski holidays
skimottaret, Laughing Laughing
snow report
A BASI L4 friend of mine told me he removes the heel lifts from his boots, as they make him sit back to compensate.
snow conditions
beanie1 wrote:
A BASI L4 friend of mine told me he removes the heel lifts from his boots, as they make him sit back to compensate.

Colin (CEM) told me exactly the same thing.
snow report
beanie1, What is a BASI 4 doing with heel lifts as standard? does Colin know him as well?
latest report
Cynic, I believe the heel lifts come in the boot as standard, he removes them.
snow report
Is it beyond reasoning that a L4 couldn't possibly have flexibility issues Puzzled
ski holidays
scooby_simon wrote:
beanie1 wrote:

Colin (CEM) told me exactly the same thing.

And me, as did Andy McCann and a few other fitters I've talked to. Excessive raising of the heel will cause you to lean back, a small ammount just helps you flex the boot if you have issues with ankle flex.
latest report
waynos wrote:
eversolazy, sounds like you need to sort out your fore and aft balance not blame the tools. One drill I can suggest is on an easy and quiet slope try skiing a bit with your boots completely undone. In this way the boot gives no fore or aft support, thus you'll soon learn to centre correctly in the boot. Keep skiing like this for at least a few runs, you may start off feeling a tad wobbly but soon settle into it. Be careful with this drill as you will not have the normal control for a while, hence start on easy and quiet slope. I used to ski with too much forward lean, this drill helped to sort that out. Getting pushed back in bumps or steeper stuff could also be down to several reasons such as bad general stance, not committing down the hill enough, not driving the hands forward, swinging the upper body around too much, etc.

You can practice centred balance on the Skia sweetspot trainer - after a fair bit of practice I'm now pretty comfortable on the red blocks. The blacks are impossible!
If you're centred, you'll quickly adjust to skiing with or without a heel raise
snow report
mr brain cheat wrote:
waynos wrote:

You can practice centred balance on the Skia sweetspot trainer - after a fair bit of practice I'm now pretty comfortable on the red blocks. The blacks are impossible!
If you're centred, you'll quickly adjust to skiing with or without a heel raise
mr brain cheat, how's it working for your skiing? Anyone else tried this...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sure got some funny looks, but Hey!

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 21-02-12 22:31; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
mr brain cheat, thanks for your views, it's the first I had heard of them!
snow report
mr brain cheat would I be right in guessing you have some pecuniary interest in this product as 3 of your 5 posts are about it?
latest report
betterinblack, there doesn't appear to be any personal reviews about it, just sales pitch based, thing is there is a lot of mention about the alignment of the boot sole to ski being critical but it's very common for people to change the binding positions to suit them. I'm wondering how many have actually been sold.
latest report
Oh! Shocked Puzzled
snow conditions
I do think a ramp in heel helped me mainly from having tight calves and first few days on skis were always agony. Heel ramps meant I was leaning forward but not stretching my calves for 8 hours a day in the process. Never felt overly on my toes tho think body compensated and pain free is priceless Eh oh!
snow report
What @waynos said. This is on the workman, not the tools.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy