Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Inghams..any recent experience?

Poster: A snowHead
Things are shaping up nicely for an Easter break,and Inghams have a couple of chalets that look very interesting wink But,having never been with them,I'm wondering what they are like?Their prices seem pretty good,and the rest of their blurb looks about the same as Crystal etc.
Am I right in thinking they used to place themselves at the upper end of the market? If thats the case,it would appear they have chosen to operate at around the same level as most budget TO's.They have been around a very long time and,in fact,they claim the founder,Walter Ingham,pioneered the concept of a skiing holiday.
Any recent info would be very welcome.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowskisnow, I used them in 2008 for a Zermatt trip (hotel not chalet) and they were fine.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They're a mass market TO same as t'others.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I like using them in preference to the TUI group. They seem to have older reps, don't hang around the airport for incoming flights for so long and, when set against my choice of criteria, offer slightly better quality places.

That's not to say I don't use TUI - just that I'll look at the Inghams offer first and if the price is comparable I would always choose Inghams over TUI (all other things being equal).

I travelled with them to Flaine at Christmas and despite transfer day being plagued by heavy snowfall they managed to get everyone back to Geneva for the flight home. Admittedly they had to hold the flight for an hour and a half which was a pain for those of us who were waiting but I'm sure the people who had been on a bus fighting their way through the snow for 4 hours were grateful.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowskisnow, Will be going on a first trip with Inghams this weekend, so will report back!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We used them for a summer Alps week last year. The rep seemed alright, though we didn't run into any problems (when you need the rep most...) so only saw him for a couple of ticket purchases. Hotel staff were very friendly and helpful, the food was excellent, and the wine was free Very Happy

The hotel was in need of a refurb though - it was clean, but very tired, so you might want to look online for reviews before you book if that sort of thing bothers you. We weren't too bothered as we payed peanuts for a cheeky deal, but we got the impression that some other guests had spent a lot more.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We went away with them to Cervinia over Christmas, stayed in one of their Chalet hotels, so all staff were Inghams staff. Had a great time, all staff were really helpful and friendly, the food in our hotel was excellent.

Didn't have any problems for the reps to deal with, but they were always about talking to guests. In fact they seem to go out of their way to make sure everything was ok and everyone was happy. Transfers worked smoothly, we had a delay of a couple of hours on our flight back home, but not their fault.

We were really impressed with them (but then we've also never really had any bad experiences when we've used Crystal or Neilson either).
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Been with Inghams twice to Levi.

Last trip the airline (Jet2) charged me excess baggage for skis even tho I'd paid for ski carriage (no chance arguing at the airport with the check-in staff who seemed clueless and determined to charge me). Inghams refunded this without complaint on return to the UK - so cant complain at the service.

Resort side - reps always on hand at the time they said they would be there and very friendly and helpful.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Am I right in thinking they used to place themselves at the upper end of the market?

No, I don't think so. We travelled with them 16 years ago and they were definitely "budget" then (we only ever did budget!!). We had booked a catered chalet, and it turned out not to be - we had to eat in the hotel next door (same proprietors) and the food was very poor. I was disappointed, having been in charge of the arrangments, because had they told us before we got there that we would be eating on a low budget table in the corner of a crowded hotel dining room we'd have changed our plans (it was early January). The only Inghams person around, a young lad who just did breakfast, cleaning and tea (a nice chalet job, that) was charming, a really nice guy. The hotel proprietors were a bit unwelcoming and grumpy, but that wasn't Inghams fault - I suspect there might have been some Christmas/New Year arguments between Inghams and the hotel about the quality of food, so maybe the atmosphere between them wasn't too good. We didn't complain because my brother in law had paid for our trip as a silver wedding present so it would have been most ungracious to moan. Alpbach is a sweet little village and we had a good holiday, with a nice family party.

I would use them again if the deal looked good - but this time I'd be a bit wiser about pinning them down about exactly what we were going to get. The reason they couldn't do a catered chalet was because the kitchen was completely unsuitable and the planned upgrading had not even started - they'd have known about that long before the season started; the chalet lad was recruited on the basis that he could do the chalet single-handed if he didn't have to cook dinner.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We also travelled with them a good few years earlier - also Austria. Self-catering. No complaints. Bad airport delays but not their fault. But again, definitely budget.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Having travelled with Inghams before I happily booked a Chalet holiday with them for the first week in Jan. Chalet holidays are not their area of expertise, the chalet and staff were very poor in comparision to the other companies I have used. The organisation at the airport was abysmal. The oven in the Chalet had to be held shut with a chair hence everyones clothes stank of cooking. The toilet in our room broke and we spent two days with a black bag on the cistern and pools of water on the floor. I wrote to them four weeks ago and still await a reply. I would not book a Chalet holiday with them again but could just have been unlucky.
Having said that we had a great holiday in spite of Inghams.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, worth pointing out Inghams now have different owners than they did 16 years ago, probably may as well be a different company. They're in the same group as Ski Total and Esprit now, and in fact share some resort managers and smaller things like chef's recipe books etc. etc.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We went with them to Courchevel 11 yrs ago, St Anton 10 yrs ago, Selva 9 yrs ago and Obergurgl 7 yrs ago (where I ruptured my ACL). 8yrs ago we went with Crystal to Zermatt.

Every trip with Inghams were very good three of the trips were in catered chalets and all
last minute bargains and we were really happy with inghams the room food and plentiful wine. The staff were always friendly and happy to give routes etc like when we wanted the best route to get over to Lech.

Our experience with Crystal means we won't bother with them again food was stingy and had very
very limited meat in it. Staff weren't helpful and didn't read the local
language when I was asking could any Reading the instructions on the perscription cream I was given by the doctor. I realise that it could have just been a bad experience and I know from a friend that the chef walked out partway through the following week when he went. We hadn't realised we both had gone to the same place until
chatting later about what a poor experience we had both had.

I realise these aren't particuarly recent but certainly I wouldn't hesitate to go with them again once our kids are older (they are 5 and 2) which is why the last time we went with them was so long ago)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi Guys - probably a stupid question, but not used to booking package holidays - we normally do everything ourselves - but just booked a cheap skiing holiday in Zermatt with inghams - they have sent us the invoice and basically said that is our electronic ticket, which is fine for the airport, but for the transfer from Geneva to Zermatt is by train, so I assume that either they will send the train tickets through the post or someone will meet us at Geneva and give us the train tickets?

Like I said, its a silly question, but I assume a rep will meet us and hand the tickets out?

Also another stupid question when we arrive at Zermatt - I don't know where the chalet is (but will find an address before I leave) but should I assume that someone will meet us at the train station and walk us to the chalet? Or are we expected to find the way by ourselves? Puzzled
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Spent a week in early February this year with Inghams in Verbier. Stayed at the Hotel Verbier which is an Inghams run chalethotel in the centre of town. Every aspect of the holiday, under Inghams control, can only be described as excellent for the money we paid for the holiday. In particular, the whole Inghams team involved in running this property and the resort reps. were nothing other than superb.
The only minor aspect of the total package which was less than good, was the Monarch airlines flight check-in staff who were unhelpful and surly. This was a small inconvenience to put up with, to be able to enjoy the rest of the superb Ingham's package.
snow conditions
Sack the Juggler, We had a train transfer too. The tickets arrived in the post a couple of weeks before, then a rep met us at Geneva and gave us instructions about which train to get, and where to change. Then another rep met us in resort with an electric taxi for luggage (Saas Fee so car free) and walked us to our hotel.

The transfer is pretty comfortable but it is quite long. The train can get busy near Geneva, depending on time of day, but once past the end of lake Geneva, it was pretty quiet. There's no snacks cart so you might want to take some sandwiches and drinks for the transfer.
snow conditions
Quote:

There's no snacks cart so you might want to take some sandwiches and drinks for the transfer.

You can get these from the supermarket at the end of the station complex.
latest report
Used Inghams a lot and of the big operators they are my preferred choice
Not stayed in any of their chalethotel though
They do seem to be better re transfers to and from airports not having every one hanging about for one bus
We were in Obertauren with them in January and to stay in the same hotel doing it DIY came out costing a fair bit more
Also got a trip booked with them in March
If you book a two star hotel don't expect it to be five star when you get there
ski holidays
Have used Crystal and Inghams for 2 ski trips last year, to hotel Sportiv Obergurgl, not really any difference apart from the uniform. have a fab time.Vx Smile
snow report
We have just booked with Inghams to return to Mayrhofen 7 Apriol to Chalet Lukas, they are the only TO with seats left from Edinburgh, seemed pretty reasonable, £2400 for 4.

Went with them last year to the Hotel Zillertalerhof, again well priced for Easter. Reps did seem as Tiger2 says, a little more mature than,say, Crystal. I have in my head that Neilson and Inghams are do seem to have older staff. Everything went well last year and I certainly have no reservations about using them again. But TBH I would say that about all of the big TOs, things can (and do) go wrong, but most of the time it's all tickety boo.
ski holidays
Ghost Dog, You do know that is Snowbombing week?Might get a tad busy around town etc wink We are now booked to be in St Anton,same week Very Happy
Going with Inghams,and very pleased with the deal I got.....very pleased indeed.Had cause to ring them over a couple of points.Spoke to a chap who clearly knew the resort well,and gave some excellent advice.Cleared up my query straight away,and exhuded confidence and professionalism.Good start?
ski holidays
Went to Meribel with Inghams this. Stayed in the Etoile de Neige. Were first guests and they clearly had not done a pre-check that all the bits and pieces were actually functioning. It was one of their high end chalets. The chalet lads were Ok but slapdash. My room was flooded twice by the drain from kitchen sink. Jacuzzi was not working when we arrived - no pre-check. Food stingy. Place pass its best. Advertised drying room. This was full of the catering supplies for the resort. This was also regularly raided in the middle of the night by staff fancying a bottle of wine. Often woke up half the chalet.

It would take a lot to go with them again. However, much I think depends on the resort manager and there was a clear lack of discipline and organisation
ski holidays
Sack the Juggler wrote:
Hi Guys - probably a stupid question, but not used to booking package holidays - we normally do everything ourselves - but just booked a cheap skiing holiday in Zermatt with inghams - they have sent us the invoice and basically said that is our electronic ticket, which is fine for the airport, but for the transfer from Geneva to Zermatt is by train, so I assume that either they will send the train tickets through the post or someone will meet us at Geneva and give us the train tickets?

Like I said, its a silly question, but I assume a rep will meet us and hand the tickets out?

Also another stupid question when we arrive at Zermatt - I don't know where the chalet is (but will find an address before I leave) but should I assume that someone will meet us at the train station and walk us to the chalet? Or are we expected to find the way by ourselves? Puzzled

You should receive the train tickets by post a few days before you travel - if not call Inghams to ask where they are. You should also receive a phone number for a rep in resort so you advise which train you are on. You would then be met and taken to your chalet by electric taxi
snow conditions
Just back from an Inghams chalet hotel. I would not recommend the experience. It was listed as 4 star on the Inghams website. Upon arrival we saw the sign outside said it was a 2 star Pension. The hotel was clean and small, no problems there. The staff were nice but slapdash. The food was abysmal, really inedible. Inghams website said we would be getting a 5-course meal - one of the courses was a tiny chocolate on the side of a coffee saucer! Having paid for half-board, it was annoying to have to go out to eat at night. We were told that breakfast would be served at 8am on our departure morning - we waited in vain as it turned out the chef had not not turned up... I could go on an on....

The hotel was not up for review on TripAdvisor so we couldn't check reviews in advance of booking. I would recommend anyone using Inghams not to take their description of the hotel on face value, but to check independently before booking.
snow report
all of the TO self rate their properties, check on their website fine print to see how these are allocated
ski holidays
Snowskisnow

What makes you think I'm not some manic clubber then? Yeah, I know and it's definitly not my scene and kids are too young for it, but it's the Hoff and the snow will probably be better than it has been for years at Easter. Dr/Mrs Ghost Doggy and the Ghost Puppies have only skied there last Easter when Gerlos et al were closed and the Hoff was mostly closed. It's a chance for them to see it in a better light prior to my return in June (hopefully).

We are staying up the road past the Berghof/Europahaus so hoping it will be fairly quiet. Don't mind queuing for the Penken, used to that.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy