Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tingling in feet, again. Is it the boots?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
After skiing in Mayrhofen last week I have come back with a numbness in my self foot which extends over the top of the foot and up the shin. The shin numbness has passed a bit in the past few days, but the foot numbness remains. It's a bit like when you get numb by lying on your arm before you get pins-and-needles as the blood rushes back. I had a foot drop about five years ago from skiing which took a number of months to recover. I also got a similar numbness to this the last time I went skiing two years ago. I have really rather wide feet, which probably contributes to the problem. I bought my own boots this year in the hope that I could prevent this outcome and enjoy my skiing more :-/. However, after two days and a morning of skiing in them I had to stop and get them widened even more (third widening, I had them done twice before the trip, too). The man in the ski shop advised against using the custom footbeds when you have such wide feet as they effectively make the skiboot a size smaller by raising your foot into the smaller part of the arc in the roof of the boot. He was right - removing the footbeds helped a lot. Shame, as they were really comfortable.

I've been to the doctor and there's not a lot that they can do, so I'm left with googling and finding information on my own. Has anyone else had a problem like this? Anyone with wider feet and difficulty with boots get this sort of trouble post-holiday? Or perhaps it's just a recurrence of the foot-drop injury each time and has nothing to do with the feet / boots. Any info would be greatly appreciated! The only other thing that I can think to do is switch to snowboarding...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
duncang wrote:
The man in the ski shop advised against using the custom footbeds when you have such wide feet as they effectively make the skiboot a size smaller by raising your foot into the smaller part of the arc in the roof of the boot. He was right - removing the footbeds helped a lot. Shame, as they were really comfortable.

That's questionable. If your arch collapses due to not having enough footbed support, your foot will splay out and widen. And it hurts.

Mrs P solved a 'boots too tight' problem recently by having a footbed put in.

Not that I'm a bootfitter, mind you.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Duncan, where did you buy your boots? It's probably worthwhile going back to them if you can, as a starting point. I have wide feet too but in my case foot beds make things better, not worse.

Personally, I would contact the boot seller and work with them to fix the problem. Or you can contact CEM on here who runs solutions for feet.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Or Hamish at Profeet if you live in London.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Or Graham at Rivington Alpine if you live further north. Other recommendations will be forthcoming, depending on where you live.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Or, for a list of British Ski Boot Fitters Association acreditted members go here...
http://skibootpro.co.uk/Findabootfitter.html
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
duncang, will be looking at this thread with interest. This has happened to me a couple of times in recent years, in fact still have a slightly numb feel to my toes at present, having been away 14th to 21st Jan. I do not have wide feet and have custom made boots by Strolz that fit like a glove and have owned for around 5 years.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
duncang, I have a similar issue which I believe is a combination of small boots and nerve damage in my case. It also happens to my feet at other times, not just skiing, so it's probably more nerve damage than anything else for me.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Have your blood pressure checked?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy