Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice on skis please!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks,

I'm looking for some advice please, in total I have only skied 3 weeks - 2 of those being 1994 and 1995, the most recent was a week in Val Thoren last year where I rented intermediate skis and boots.

I'm heading off again in a few weeks time and I'm considering whether I should go with intermediates again, or even revert to beginners and take a day of lessons? I picked it up pretty quickly last year and didn't really have any issues, although I did sometimes feel a slight lack of control and perhaps was getting myself into some bad habits.

I didn't take any lessons last year, which was probably a mistake. What would you more experienced peeps suggest? Also, should I invest in some of my own boot, or are rentals OK? I got some blisters on my shins last year...I am reluctant to buy my own boots in case they cut me to bits!

Many thanks in advance! Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The rental kit grade doesn't atter - it's probably lessons you need. Even the worst rental shop equipment will be streets ahead of what you used 18 years ago.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
McFly, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead snowHead I would think either beginner or intermediate skis would be OK - important that they're not too long though. But yes, definitely have some lessons.

You can get foam pad things which can help stop the boots rubbing on your shins. properly fitted boots certainly shouldn't cut you to bits, but at this stage maybe lessons are the most important thing to spend your money on. Whether you are renting boots or buying, the key thing is the get the right fit.

I wouldn't take "a day" of lessons, though. Either get onto a week's course, which will probably be 2.5 hours a day, or thereabouts, or take a few 2 hour private lessons. That's as much as most people can take on board - then you can use the rest of the time to practice what you learnt in the lesson.

Where are you going? There might be somebody here who could recommend a specific instructor, or ski school.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Decent ski socks, and make sure that nothing else is inside your boots!

I often get some wear & tear on my shins, but I see that as a sign I might be doing something right for once.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks fatbob & pam.

I'm heading to Tignes, I'm the only skier out of our group of 4 and they have all been pestering me to bin skiing and try boarding, and to be honest if I were to get lessons for 2hrs each day I would consider it.

I really enjoy skiing though, so perhaps the private lessons would be a good idea. Any idea on what the costs are for a 2hr private lesson?

I don't think I was even 'fitted' for boots last year - the chap asked me what size I was and just handed me a pair of boots! Confused
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
musher wrote:

I often get some wear & tear on my shins, but I see that as a sign I might be doing something right for once.

So that's a good thing then?! Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I don't think I was even 'fitted' for boots last year

yes, I was really referring to what should happen if you get your own boots.

I wouldn't at this stage, especially if you are thinking of doing boarding. There's a snowhead called Stewart Woodward who teaches in Tignes. You could send him a private message (click the link top right) and if he can't sort you out, he'll know someone who can. Though if you are going before 17 March it'll be pretty busy (French school hols) so best to book sooner rather than later.

If you enjoy skiing, don't let your mates dissuade you! Private lessons are more expensive but you'll get more out of them - if you had a lesson on day 1 and day 3 of your week, that'd leave you plenty of time to practice, and to whizz around with your mates.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I don't think I was even 'fitted' for boots last year

yes, I was really referring to what should happen if you get your own boots.

I wouldn't at this stage, especially if you are thinking of doing boarding. There's a snowhead called Stewart Woodward who teaches in Tignes. You could send him a private message (click the link top right) and if he can't sort you out, he'll know someone who can. Though if you are going before 17 March it'll be pretty busy (French school hols) so best to book sooner rather than later.

If you enjoy skiing, don't let your mates dissuade you! Private lessons are more expensive but you'll get more out of them - if you had a lesson on day 1 and day 3 of your week, that'd leave you plenty of time to practice, and to whizz around with your mates.

Great - thanks Pam.

I just fired a PM to Stewart, so let's see what he can do for me!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy