Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski Boots

Poster: A snowHead
We need to replace my hubbies ski boots. The current pair is around 11yrs old and the buckle broke last time we went skiing. Given their age we don't think it is worth trying to get them repaired so we are starting look around for replacements.

When we bought his before we bought them from the place we had hired his ski's and boot's (but the hire boots didn't go big enough), they were in the sale (it was the last week of the season for most TO's) and they also refunded the hire costs against the sale price and with us winning with the exchange rates of Francs to Pounds they only cost us £85 (before the boots hire cost was deducted). This was for Salamons and he has been quite happy with them over the years.

I have just started taking a quick look at prices and I am amazed at the range of prices (we never actually researched the purchase just fell on our feet from what I have been reading on here). I am seeing anything from £60 up and what looks like equivalent boots seem to be about £200.

OK so my question is what are you getting for your money? What are getting that is better for a £200 boot over the £60 ones I spotted Decalothon (or something like that).

I am sure people will want to respond with "go to a reputable boot fitter" which we may well do, but I would much rather go understanding a bit more about the topic first. I did look at the sticky on Buying boots but that has a message saying it is being re-written.

Many thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
NickyJ, damn fine question and topic I have to say.

The Decathlon boots you refer to are I presume these http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rns-200-boot-id_8156755.html

They are described as:

Quote:
BEGINNER to INTERMEDIATE skiers looking for simple and affordable boots for discovering skiing.

It used to be the impression given that one of the big differences between a beginner boot and advanced boot was the amount of padding and therefore the comfort. Certainly a skier racer is going to be less concerned with comfort and more concerned with the transference of energy/direction to their ski's. But whether that holds true for an all day advanced skier, I wouldn't have thought so.

The other thing I would suggest may be different is the hardness of the shell. No doubt beginner boots will be softer and have more give.

Comparing my boot purchased a couple of years back, Atomic M100's, to these Wed'ze one's, I wouldn't be able to tell you what is so special about mine (£200 cost with 20% end of season discount).

My understanding on fit is purely down to narrowness of the boot versus the feet in question. Everything else seemed largely irrelevant.

Oh, and it is de rigeur these days to get a custom footbed. Which adds another ton plus to the equation.

Have a look at this guide http://www.skis.com/docs/ski-boots-buying-guide/

TBH I'm unconvinced by a lot of it and wouldn't put you off buying the Decathlon boot.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just noticed the flex of the Declathon boot is 50 against mine which is 100. So that would back up that point.

Also when I look up a review of my boot it says:
Quote:
The bi-injected shell has super stiff materials at critical strength points and softer more pliable materials at fitting points so you can hike in comfort without compromising steep-line performance.

Whereas perhaps the Decathlon boots don't have these strengthened spots.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
NickyJ wrote:
OK so my question is what are you getting for your money? What are getting that is better for a £200 boot over the £60 ones I spotted Decalothon (or something like that).

With the rider that I know nuffink about the Decathlon boots - or what differences there are....

For your money, on a properly fitted boot, you are getting the difference between sitting on the side of the piste in tears from the pain with your boot off trying to rub out the offending parts and being able to ski with a smile on your face. In my experience, anyway.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Go to Snow and Rock (or other big shop) have the feet measured! Let them fit lots of boots, find out the size you are being given, go to another big shop if the size is the same it is probably correct. If the boot you are being offered is the same and it fits you then it’s probably right for you. I would go for a boot you like which fits well and the shop which gives you the best discount 10% is the minimum I would except, particularly if member of SCGB or other !

If you have funny feet, big bunions ankles breaks or other oddities consider paying the not inconsiderable fee of a pro boot fitter, otherwise get a footbed from your chosen shop and that is all there is to it.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 15-02-12 15:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I wonder if there's any mileage in getting a cheap pair of boots as tight as one can bear and then getting them blown out by a good bootfitter? I appreciate that wouldn't solve the problem of a ridiculously soft flex, but it might be a good solution for a beginner.

(Somebody please tell me when CEM has been and gone and that the coast is clear. wink)
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CEM? Would you mind explaining what or who that is?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
NickyJ, he is a snowHead and is also the presiding genius of www.solutions4feet.com. He is often kind enough to give free advice on this forum and many snowHeads (including me) have bought boots from him. He does not suffer fools gladly and will probably be distinctly unamused by my suggestion.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pedantica, Or just get a pair the right size as per a foot measure used by most ski shops, you don't need to go any smaller (Unless racing against the clock is your game) or you will not be able to ski in them; if they are a good race type boot the shell is not going to give. Do not confuse being small with the feel of a race type boot when it is new. Your solution involves petrol and money spent on blowing £25 a time, fitting £30+ I'm sure it was a jest, but coming from such an eminent poster, many may have already have bought small size tosh and be heading for Bicester right now.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pedantica, just for the record, I did have thoughts along a similar line. CEM did do a bit of blowing out on mine anyway to cope with my bony ankles but I did wonder, if someone had boots that were narrowish for them could he not just "make them wider". I guess the more you distort the shell the weaker it gets though.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Layne, Ring Hamish at profeet 0207 7360046 he will know and is in London.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cynic wrote:
.......consider paying the not inconsiderable fee of a pro boot fitter........

There isn't usually a charge if you're buying the boots from them Confused
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cynic, it was a sort of jest, but it is a fact that recreational skiers (and even they will ski better if there's a modicum of feedback between boot and ski) often buy boots which are too big (as measured by a shell test) and you can't make boots smaller, you can only make them bigger.

Eminent poster?! I don't think so!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cynic, I think your geography is a bit adrift. I know you like Profeet (so do many of us on here, including me - they provided my current footbeds, and Hamish comes well recommended by CEM) and do everything you can to recommend them, whether or not such recommendation has been sought, and never solutions4feet. But even my poor geography tells me that Milton Keynes, which is Layne's stated location, is closer to Bicester than it is to Fulham.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mosha Marc, Really?
snow report
Pedantica, You are correct as always Bicester miles closer. But there is no champagne bar just up the road to tempt one that Fulham possess.
ski holidays
Cynic, which champagne bar is that? I don't live too far away, it's always good to know about champagne bars!

(Sorry for thread drift)
snow conditions
Pedantica, Not London local but out of Profeet (excellent boot, running shoe and climbing boot fitter) turn right and it's on the left, about 50 yards Kona Kai 515 Fulham Road Champagne and exotic cocktails.
snow report
Cynic, thanks, will bear in mind. Very Happy
latest report
Champagne bars FFS... what has this thread come to rolling eyes

BTW, I wasn't suggesting I need my boots widening. My feet are quite narrow - just have bony ankles. No, I was just thinging along the lines of Pedantica. If the OPer bought the cheap boots (or anybody else for that matter) and found them too narrow, could they should have the whole shell widened....
ski holidays
Cynic, b*gger I missed that last night, although after £409 on boots (inc the £149 fitting) it's probably just as well!
snow report
holidayloverxx, just think how silky smooth with an apple finish your boots are going to be. By the way even with so much attention wear them to watch telly, use computer and walk about in them for as much as possible before you go, to someone with so many posts that is stating the obvious to an expert, but may help other readers.
snow report
holidayloverxx, Shocked Shocked London prices ??
snow conditions
holidayloverxx, those sequin's are bloody expensive aren't they Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, £260 for the boots, £149 standard fitting charge including footbeds. I paid about £350 at Lockwoods 5 years ago on a snowheads fitting day.
Layne, Toofy Grin wink
snow conditions
holidayloverxx, Hermann will say "Wow love the boots did you go to profeet? They fit you really well by the way you are skiing, far better than those you had last year".
latest report
Cynic, and I'll say, yeah, they were fitted by your mate Bernie from along the road in St Johann, thanks for the recommendation
latest report
Thanks for all the certainly diverse replies Happy

we got the opportunity to buy those cheapest boots for £35 of somebody through my work who had used them for only 1 weeks skiing. Hubby felt they felt nice and snug and about 1000 times better than the hire ones he was using at the dry ski slope so we will see how they go if nothing else it will buy time until we aren't paying nursery fees and can save enough money
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Hubby felt they felt nice and snug and about 1000 times better than the hire ones he was using at the dry ski slope so we will see how they go if nothing else it will buy time until we aren't paying nursery fees and can save enough money

snowHead great!
latest report
Hey if he's happy, that's what really matters. Boots are by a long way the most important bit of ski kit to get right.
snow report
I would say the brain is probably the most important.
snow conditions
NickyJ, you did good. Buy boots that fit, feel good and are the right stiffness for your use (i can see that £35 is going to tempt you whatever). Only go to a bootfitter if you're going racing or have specific problems IMV.
snow report
Quote:

Only go to a bootfitter if you're going racing or have specific problems IMV.

Totally agree
snow conditions
Cynic wrote:
Mosha Marc, Really?

Yep. And that's paying RRP.
snow report
Cynic wrote:
Quote:

Totally agree

Why wouldn't you want decent fitting kit anyway?
snow report
Cynic wrote:
Quote:

Totally agree

even though you recommend Hamish at Profeet to every single person who asks about boots Laughing
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, Mosha Marc

Cynic has posted that he suffers from sleep deprivation, which is probably why a number of his posts make no apparent sense. Or something. His obsession with Profeet is most odd. Confused
ski holidays
rogg wrote:

I think a lot of people don't realize how a boot should fit until they have been to a good boot fitter. I'd say go to a good bootfitter at least once and decide yourself wether it's worth it or not. (Some people are lucky to have feet that off the shelf boots will fit.)
snow report
DB wrote:
rogg wrote:

I think a lot of people don't realize how a boot should fit until they have been to a good boot fitter. I'd say go to a good bootfitter at least once and decide yourself wether it's worth it or not. (Some people are lucky to have feet that off the shelf boots will fit.)
+1
snow conditions
i don't think it is even as complex as boots off the shelf fitting or not fitting, it is about length, width, volume and position of the foot inside the boot, one of the problems i keep seeing is oversized boots basically because of the way many boots are now sized and the lack of people doing a simple shell check

the vast majority of people would be fine without too much more than a good footbed and a bit of heat through the liner or shell if the size/shape was correctly selected in the first place

then there are the people with the biomechanical issues but they are in the minority
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy