Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bansko mid March?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I'm seriously considering Bansko for our second ski hol this season going mid March. Funds are very very tight therefore it seemed to fit the bill as I think I can do it for £900 for two all in (incl lift passes/ski hire/self catered food/accom/flights etc).

I do have some reservations though as reports on the resort appear to be mixed - there's no point in paying even £900 if we have a rubbish time! (I should add we're not looking for luxury by any means and just want a good value holiday)

So I'd really like to hear from anyone who has been previously and has an opinion on it either way. We're both intermediate skiers btw.

Will the resort be big enough for a weeks skiing?

Is the snow likely to be good at that time of year?

Are there any other resorts of equal or better value? We're by no means set on Bansko if someone can point to something better!

Many thanks, Andy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Whether it will be big enough - I guess that depends on how much / how many miles you want to do?

My parents have been mid-March and had a great time (year before last), they had not trouble with queues (which we did when we went over new year), and had good snow. Given how cold it has been and how much they have had down I would have thought the snow will be good.

There was enough skiing not as much as we had in say Courchevel, St Anton, Selva or Zermatt but still enough and we enjoyed ourselves there (aside from the issues with the lifts queues Happy).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We don't tend to do many miles - we like the coffee breaks and sunbathing as well! My other half is at early intermediate level so I'm hoping the reds wouldn't be too steep for her? She was happy to tackle a few reds in Austria in January at a slow pace.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There was one Red which had got quite icy and was steep which found a little challenging there was somewhere i could stop for coffee break afterwards the rest were fine. Sounds like you will be fine there.

Are you going diy or with a TO? Another option may be see if you can get cheap flights to Genava and look a self caterig apartmemts at places out fom there. We enjoyed Le Grand Bornand small compared to some but again enough for what you described
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Many thanks for your reply.

I found numerous sub £200 deals on the Teletext Holidays website for self catering/bed and breakfast accommodation including flights and transfers for those weeks which is probably what I would go for rather than DIY (although our holiday in January was a DIY flight to Innsbruck and private self catering apartment).

As an alternative I did look at flights to Grenoble (very cheap at the moment) and Geneva during March and was looking for self catering accommodation a short transfer away but didn't find anywhere approaching the cost of a holiday to Bansko when you add all the extras in.

Perhaps I missed somewhere that someone knows of?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rightbak, I've not been to Bulgaria so try not to get too down on it, those who I do know that have been have siad they'd rather not ski than go back but most of these have skied elsewhere in the main Euro destinations. I hear they've had really fgood snow so far this year but that doesn't mean much as to how it will be mid March. I'm not likely to ever go as the skiing doesn't hold much attraction for me. Minus the queues if there's plenty of snow who cares I say? I ski allot in Scotland so I'm used to making the best of what I turn up to.

£900 is a tight budget for anywhere else but not impossible I've seen B&B deals for around £200 for Soll and Mayrhofen, add another £200 on for passes and £100 for hiring gear and your nearly there (this is with a UK TO) the lift pass is the crux usually with trying to get a bargain. Alternative is flights to Geneva-huge amount of ski resorts availible and loads of cheap flights leaving the UK with budget airlines, I've stayed B&B in Chamonix for £9.50 a night with flights and pass it was one of my cheapest weeks skiing at about £340.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks - I will look at the Geneva/private apartment route again in case I can find something. It is a concern that the reviews on Bansko are mixed at best - as you said your friends wouldn't go back.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
i was in bansko last year mid march for 2nd ski trip, snow wasn't great last year but i got lucky as went week after cold spell.
never had a problem with queues at anypoint on the hill.

the skiing is limited to a point, but what there is i found to be good fun. the two runs down at chalin valog are good.

stayed at the strazhite hotel and the hotel is very good for the price. the food on the other hand is an aquired taste as they serve it quite cold to what we would usually be used to.

last year for two trip probably cost 750 all in. that includes buying beer etc. beer is cheap Smile

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 16-02-12 10:04; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I do find the posters opinios surprising having been there, although it isnt my favorite place I have i am sure we will return there ok that is partly influenced by my parents owning an apartment there but even with that if it was so awful we wouldnt go back, however we would certainly never go back over new year again
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi, just wanted to add that Bansko has had huge amounts of snow to date this year, there should still be plenty by left mid-March Smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bansko or borovets should be fine, best snow in a generation, and certainly a thousand times better than scotland!!!!!! probably the best value for money destination there is, and id rather two weeks there than one in france Cool
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
iskar wrote:
bansko or borovets should be fine, best snow in a generation, and certainly a thousand times better than scotland!!!!!! probably the best value for money destination there is, and id rather two weeks there than one in france Cool

after being to austria this year, i really dont think france provides value for money or quality of service and accomodation.
only CH is worse value
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
iskar wrote:

Not skied Scotland, so can't comment. The rest of this post is complete rubbish IMO. I've skied Bansko half a dozen times, also France and Italy.

I do not consider Bansko good value at all, it's cheap, but not good value. There are less than 'famous' Italian/French resorts which offer far better value. We were in Sauze d'Oulx three weeks ago, which was excellent value.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I do not consider Bansko good value at all, it's cheap, but not good value. There are less than 'famous' Italian/French resorts which offer far better value. We were in Sauze d'Oulx three weeks ago, which was excellent value.

Hi, Why do you consider Bansko to be so poor value for money? Out of interest, how much did you pay for your holiday in Sauze? Which other resorts do you refer to? Thanks
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rightbak, hey man, do yourself a favour, do a search on here.
snow conditions
BCjohnny wrote:
rightbak, hey man, do yourself a favour, do a search on here.

Or, do the rest of us a favour. wink
latest report
With Bansko, value depends on when you go. Go New Year or Feb Half Term and I agree with the poster who said they would rather not ski. The Gondola which is the single point up the Mountain can't cope - getting up the Mountain would be just abject misery - avoid like the plague.

However, two of my 25 weeks skiing have been late March in Bansko and we had great value. Took family of 5 for £1,500 all in (excluding food), apartment with Pool and Spa, had the Mountain to ourselves and you should note that snow in Bansko is usually better late on although this year may be an exception.

I would say the skiing is best for second timers, intermediates who don't need to clock up the miles, and Back country experts. High mileage piste only Brits who call themselves experts are not well catered for. Basically it is the face of one mountain in a whole range which has been pisted - runs are long, lifts are modern and fast, vertical is impressive. Back Country guided skiing can be excellent.

Finally anybody who says the food is dodgy needs to get out - Hotel food is generally awful, but Restaurants in town are great and there are loads of them - Go self-catering or B&B without a doubt.

So as the OP was Bansko in mid- March I would say go for it - if it was Bansko in mid-Feb, don't bother.
latest report
rightbak, I went to Bansko last year and would definitely go back. I was a bit apprehensive at first and, although I am not an expert skier, I was expecting it to be all easy blue runs but I was pleasantly surprised. There are enough runs to keep most people happy. Ok, its not a huge area (only 65km) but there is enough to keep you amused and the piste grooming is as good if not better than any resort in Western Europe. I loved it and would go back - in fact I am thinking of it in mid-March. Here is my report that I posted when i got back:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1761380&highlight=bansko#1761380
snow conditions
Roebuck, +1
Spot on summary of Bansko. I have been lots of times and always avoid new year and half term. March is by far the best time. The snow is good and the pistes are quiet.
Also spot on with the food options. I would never stop in a hotel. The local restaurants are the best and great value.
2 weeks to go until our next trip.

Cheers
Smag
snow conditions
We got back from Bansko on 11th Feb, stayed at the Hotel Strazhite and although I am short on time tonight, I would just state that we had a fantastic time. We struggled to spend money (£300 between 3 of us for the week was our total spend) cos its so cheap. The conditions were superb, we had a metre of snow fall while we were there... deep fresh gorgeous powder. Our only moan was the gondola queue... it got very busy in the morning....
snow report
rightbak wrote:
Hi, I'm seriously considering Bansko for our second ski hol this season going mid March.

Nope.
snow conditions
Intuit wrote:
rightbak wrote:
Hi, I'm seriously considering Bansko for our second ski hol this season going mid March.

Nope.

Mid march is a couple of weeks away and there is plenty of snow there at the moment. So unless there is a mini heatwave, there will be plenty of snow.
ski holidays
Hi Im going end of March - 24th for a week - you dont think I have booked too late in the month have I? Possibly thinking maybe should have booked a week earlier Looking forward to it, staying at Hotel Strazhite. Its been suggested food is not great at the Hotel so any suggestions where to eat. looking at the 2 Italian/international restaurants near the Gondola and the Hotel Avalon on thursday nights.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy