Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Selva/Dolomites piste maps - advice please

Poster: A snowHead
We are off to Selva on Sun. I have read that the piste maps are confusing and signage on the pistes not too helpful.

Any hints or tips as to how best to get about ? We ( mum and dad ) happiest on blues and reds . Our kids happy anywhere and happiest when telling us we are too slow.

And is it worth buying a bus pass for the week ?

Many thanks

John
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Puzzled

My experience is that the signing is very good (with the exception of 1 sign on the Sella Ronda orange loop), and you can get around without a map at all (although I don't recommend that!).

Maps are pretty good too, but if you head to the massive collection of blue runs between Corvara and San Cassiano, then seek out an Alta Badia map (available in any restaurant in that area), which is much easier to read, and actually has a better Sella Ronda diagram on the back.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Andy - I read in a magazine about the confusion etc. We have never skied in Italy so not sure what to expect.

John
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
After a trip there with my parents we invested in radios. I personally found the signage absolutely fine...... hubby not so, but he has a tendancy to just blast down and ski slope and not look out for signs. He missed a turning on the Sella Ronda and after we waited (me, Mum and Dad) at the agreed meeting point for a long while, my parents set off to get to the bottom of the run where he would have ended up if he missed the turn, they went back up the lift and came back along the route looking for him.

He did eventually turn up while they were re-tracing the route, he had realised his mistake and climbe back up quite a way to get back on the route. Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Piste signage is okay and each mini region usually has its own more detailed map of its area as well as the overall map. As previously mentioned you can pick these up from ticket offices and restaurants.

We also missed a Sella Ronda sign in Selva and skied past it. It was near the nursery slopes where we should have come off left but skied straight on. It wasn't obvious that we had indeed missed the sign but once we realised we just hopped on to a drag ift back to the top of the nursery slopes.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all.

I'll make sure we pick up the area maps.

John
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The buses are free for everyone in resort and the signage is pretty good on the mountain. The lifties are generally very nice so if you do have problems just get them to point you in the right direction! Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
victoriac wrote:
The buses are free for everyone in resort and the signage is pretty good on the mountain. The lifties are generally very nice so if you do have problems just get them to point you in the right direction! Very Happy

Are they? Last time I was in Selva you had to pay for the ski bus. You could pay per day or get a week pass.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
alltnaha, there are 6-8 Sella Ronda maps, each has a low-scale general map and a large scale local map. They are obtainable for free at restaurants, lift stations etc. One of our friends made a point of picking up copies all over the place to try to get the complete set
rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
victoriac wrote:
The buses are free for everyone in resort and the signage is pretty good on the mountain.

Actually, the SAD buses aren't free, they're not covered by the Superski pass. You're supposed to obtain a 6 Euro weekly bus pass in resort. We don't bother, but have had to dodge the inspector a couple of time. wink

As for signage? Yeah, it's excellent. BTW, Selva is a wonderful resort, we've been returning every year for 12 years. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
oh? interesting about the buses.

Val di Fassa one is free, and possibly the only one needed for many people, since it gets you to a disconnected area (Alba, Pozza, etc.) in about 5 minutes. Think the prices for Val Gardena are so cheap anyway, that it's no big deal.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

he has a tendancy to just blast down and ski slope and not look out for signs.

Laughing sounds familiar.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mollerski, thanks , I am really looking forward to skiing somewhere other than France.

Freddie Paellahead, think I'll go for the full set too !

John
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
alltnaha, you'll get bonus points for Cortina, Civetta and Kronplatz maps as well Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kronplatz is a 20min bus from AltaBadia, so not the most difficult trip to make from Selva/Arabba etc. (not sure if it's free). Some of the others are a bit remote though, so definitely bonus points there!

Think I've managed 5 of 12, and could get 2 more with little difficulty, but really need a different base for the remainder.
ski holidays
Actual the criticism of confusing piste map isn't true from my perspective.

Dolomites has 12 skiing areas in which Selva is just one. Every skiing area issues its own map. The title of Selva map is "Val Gardena/Alpe Di Siusi Groden/Seiser Alm" or with "Sella Ronda" afterward.

Since Selva Gardena is one of the 4 corners of Sella Ronda, the other 3 being ALta Badia, Arabba and Canazei, it is often issued with a plan showing the Sella Ronda loop and Val Garden ciruit in it. The true proper map is in 3D and shows more details of the runs and the chairlifts. In addition to the above two maps a smaller scale map of the entire Dolomites is also printed in 3D showing all the 12 skiing areas. You should find Val Gardena is No. 4 area. Its main connection with Sella Ronda circuit is Selva Wolkenstein and so the area can be also referred to as Selva or Selva Gardena.

The piste map is available in one large sheet showing the above 3 maps.

If you stay in ALta Badia area the Val Gardena portion will be replaced with Alta Badia but the other two will be more or less the same.

Once you have ski other areas and obtain their piste maps everything will make sense to you. I thought having the piste map in both 2D and 3D should help rather than confuse.

All Dolomites piste maps are free but you can only get one by skiing in that area. It is same arrangement in other large skiing domains like Ski Amade, Zillertal Valley and Milky Way.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy