Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should I get my Ski Helmet tested after a tumble

Poster: A snowHead
Last week I was happily skiing down a blue run in Megeve. Suddenly I woke up with a lot of people standing round me wondering where I was. I was told by my friend and the piste patrol people that I had had an accident and that I had been unconscious for several minutes.
Fortunately both skis came off and I had no other injuries. I was choppered off the mountain to hospital in Sallanches and released later the same afternoon after a brain scan revealed no abnormalities. I continued with my ski holiday on the following day but taking things quietly and slowly

I am sure that my helmet probably saved me from more serious injuries without a shadow of doubt also I must have hit the deck very hard to sustain concussion wearing a helmet??

Some people have said that I should discard helmet now as it will have been damaged in the fall, and would let me down the next time I smack my head on the ground. On checking the helmet I can see a couple of marks on the crown of it but otherwise it does not have any dents or other blemishes. I bought the helmet made by HOLT in Canada 2 years ago. Can I get the helmet non-destructively tested or do I play safe and buy a replacement helmet or is it still OK to wear? Many thanks for your help.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've never heard of a commercial helmet testing operation. I'm guessing it would need some moderately clever engineering input, and a nice xray machine, a hefty insurance policy and a competent lawyer, and they could only sell their services to people who didn't want to splash out enough money for new hat (which isn't exactly bank-breaking). That doesn't sound like a sensible business plan to me!

Get a new helmet. You've got your money's worth out of your current one.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Helmet testing is a destructive process, they're disposable items.

Couldn't find a ski helmet test, but I think you'll get the idea.

http://youtube.com/v/GsvMBMR6IE8
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bin it. New helmets are costly but i couldnt find any new skulls or brains on ebay.

If youve taken such a knock that it KO'd you, the helmet has taken some serious stick

Besides, any non destructive test would be very subjective, not to mention costly
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think the cost of any test would probably outway the cost of a new helmet, if there was a test available. Buy a new one
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
DAVID SNELL, Good to hear no ill effects from the incident. This is the problem with helmets - the light damage to the shell may not reflect damage to the foam core which could be partially collapsed and not protect you as well as it did last time. Like Serriadh, says don't know of any company offering a helmet inspection service outside motorbike/motorsport, cost of checks would exceed cost of replacement.

Know it feels a bit galling to bin what may look like a perfectly servicable lid, but replacement is probably a wise move after a sizable impact.
snow report
 cran
cran
I'd look at it for damage and see if it has any soft patches or bumps.

If not I'd keep it.

That's just me though. Is your head so you make the choice...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The polystyrene structure in a helmet acts like a crumple zone in a car, collapsing to absorb and spread the force of an impact. It's likely to have compressed from the inside, towards the hard protective shell.

You can't always detect the crumpling but it is a one time event. If you were to hit your head again in the same location, the ability of the helmet to absorb the force is reduced.

If you've been knocked clean out, it's had a big whack but done the job, I'd get rid.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
p.s. I typed so slowly others got in there first. That's what happens when you keep knocking your head on trees without replacing your MTB helmet...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Any fall that knocks you out will probably have enough force to cause some kind of stress to the brain bucket!

Time to go helmet shopping.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Giro used to do a crash replacement service for MTb helmets. Not sure if they still do or if the do it for ski helmets. Maybe worth a look buts as others have said - get a new one. Brains are remarkabley robust in some ways and spectacularly fragile in others. Not worth the risk

Rob
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bin it and get a new one.

I use mine for skiing and cycling and would only ever pack it as hand luggage when travelling. I want to know where it's been and what it has done. Can you be sure that a baggage handler hasn't launched your checked bag from a distance and ruined your helmet?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Like everyone else says bin it and buy a new one particularly as you've obviously hit it with some force.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I would contact the company that made the helmet and see if they will swap it for a new one
a lot of companies do this so they can test one that has been used in the wild as opposed to a lab

got to be worth a try !!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
+1 for very glad you're ok.

And +1 for bin and replace.

Helmets are generally rated for a single impact and it's only really (really) expensive helmets that are rated for multi impact.
ski holidays
DAVID SNELL, yikes, glad you're OK. I don't know much about helmet technology but, from the little I've read, would be inclined to buy a new one.
snow report
They might do a discounted crash replacement thing, I know of a few MTB helmet companies who do. Not everyone does though, but surely worth checking.

Definitely replace it one way or another though.
snow conditions
If you have been knocked out in it throw it away!

Before doing so get an axe or similar and knock a hole in it!
snow conditions
DAVID SNELL, glad you're OK. Did the people who helped you tell you what had happened? Was there a collision,or did you just fall?
snow report
some companies allow you to send back a used helmet in return for a discounted new one - worth a check
snow conditions
Buy a new one and cut the old one in half to see if there is any visible damage.

Then you'll either know that it was right to replace it or you'll be able to give definitive feedback on here. Either way it will settle a few arguments into the bargain and that's got to be worth the price of a new lid Twisted Evil
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was under the impression that in general motorbike helmets had way different construction and design concept so that they definitely need to be replaced after even minor imoacts whereas ski helmets are fine.

But given the apparent severity of your accident, I'd be shopping!
snow report
Buy a new one. That one has done it's job and earned its retirement
latest report
Ipam w, don't remember what happened but I didn't hit anybody. I suspect a pole got in the way of the the downhill ski and I was thrown up in the air and landed on my head. I wasn't even going fast just practising carve turns.
snow report
Sounds like you need ski lessons rather than a new helmet - I'm joking sorry couldn't resist. I'd replace the crashed lid too for peace of mind (perhaps literally)
ski holidays
DAVID SNELL, well all's well that ends well. Maybe practise carved turns without poles. Warren Smith style, hands on knees. wink
snow report
look on bright side you didnt break a collar bone and hand as well. just look at it as money well spent on helmet, you are in one piece and thank your lucky stars ( i saw quite alot of them last year)
snow report
Just a big thanks to all you folks for all your thoughts on helmets. If I had not made contact on "Snowheads" I would have just carried on with the old helmet. It never crossed my mind, that an impact would have weakened it so much. Agreed for the sake of £50 to £100 it is just not worth the risk of having faulty kit especially head gear. uktrailmonster, Yes, this holiday was the first time I had had ski lessons for more than 30 years. I should have persevered with lessons, but back in those days English speaking ski instructors were a rarity. Back in the early 70's the Austrian ski instructor had two favourite rants "Bend the knees" and "slide" and that was it, full stop!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DAVID SNELL, +1 Buy another helmet as they are cheaper than new heads!

Apparently a head trauma combined with short term amnesia just before/after isn't that uncommon. Had the same things but broke a shoulder in Samoens, followed by no idea what happened. Overnight-ed in Sallanches too Embarassed
snow conditions
Yikes, this takes me back about 15 years to doing something very similar, just skiing back to the village in Cervinia, along a flattish bit with OH a bit in front, next thing was two people standing over me asking me if ok, etc, as they had just come across me.... eventually OH returned looking for me, and I had no idea where I was, what country, how we had got there.

Head felt a bit rattly that evening .... and it was when I saw two people skiing on each set of skis around lunchtime the next day when I was having a break that I decided to have a little rest. But I did no more than that, carried on for the rest of the week which in retrospect was probably all the wrong thing. And it still took me about 9 more years to go and invest in a helmet.
snow report
Replace that Hemlet (Sic.). They are one trick only items AND (immediately ducks below some cover) have a time life, especially when exposed to high levels of UV light.

Approx 5 years.

I have replaced bike, cycle and ski hemlets (sic.) due to time expiry and crash damage. Agree with the hand luggage statement earlier too. Dropping off a table top can severely damage a crash hat which is why they are mollycoddled - or should be.....

Answer the age old question.

How much to spend on your helemt?

How much is your head worth? rolling eyes
snow conditions
Quote:

"Bend the knees" and "slide" and that was it, full stop

what about "face ze walley". Or maybe that was Norway. They couldn't half ski, though. wink
latest report
pam w, Warren Smith style, but he was in France
latest report
DAVID SNELL, haven't seen you post in ages! Maybe the bang to head was what you needed! Out for several minutes? Wow.
snow report
OK so I am taking all your advice and I will buy a new helmet. Actually going back to Megeve towrds the end of March this year with a new helmet Very Happy
latest report
DAVID SNELL, In view of your name may I suggest that you ensure that your new helmet meets the Snell standard! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Alastair Pink, Yes I believe they make safety helmets. We are not related however!! Smile
ski holidays
I read somewhere that helmets (albeit MTB) had a lifetime of 2 years... but then I'm sure that's just a ploy by the manufacturers to sell more!!!

Personally I would get a new helmet just because there is a much larger range of designs etc out there now and some look pretty cool!
snow report
I would suggest destroying the helmet (with a hammer for example) before you chuck it. That way you can be sure no one will attempt to re-use it if you drop it off at your local dump.
ski holidays
Walter-Spitty, Just spoke to the UK representative of Snell Memorial Foundation (not related) experts on all helmet testing worldwide and he unequivocally recommends a new helmet. I have already decided this based on info from the thread. So there it is that's what the experts say.

Having had this experience I am minded to say that folks that don't wear helmets want their bumps felt. In fact perhaps it should be mandatory or connected to one's ski insurance policy. So I have been skiing badly for 42 years and this was the first serious crash that I have had, and I have only been wearing a helmet for 2 years. Gosh wasn't I lucky? Embarassed
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy