Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Speeding tickets

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.morznet.com/reports/news/most-active-french-speed-camera-is-in-the-alps.html

Just wondered if anyone has been made to pay a speeding fine after they got back home & what would happen if you ignored the fine?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There is a new EU agreement for collecting fines between each country, BUT the UK has opted out on the basis that our law requires proof of who was driving and not all EU cameras achieve that.
I'll try and find a link.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There is a very active average speed camera in the tunnel at Moutiers which has also caught many people (son included rolling eyes ).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
genepi, The locals were moaning about that one at Christmas time, apparently it flashes at 73KPH (the limit in the tunnel is 70)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I know that one well - it was catching a lot of frontaliers too and there was confusion about whether it is actually in the 50 limit or the 30. As I understand it, it is set to the 50 limit. I've always seen it flash at least a couple of people whenever I go past, which is comparatively rarely
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've never seen an Average Speed Camera 'flash'. I don't think the one in the Moutiers tunnel can be an Average Speed Camera.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Boredsurfing wrote:
BUT the UK has opted out on the basis that our law requires proof of who was driving

That cannot be true; our law allows photographs of rear numberplates (i.e. no driver) to convict you - or rather to allow you to convict yourself.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Boredsurfing wrote:
... our law requires proof of who was driving ...
My understanding is that the car owner is now compelled to state who was driving the car at the time, and if they cannot or will not the law treats them as the driver...?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
And German ones are always from the front, and always show a nice clear photo of the driver. Unless you are a motorbiker, in which case you are essentially immune.

Quote:

There is a new EU agreement for collecting fines between each country

Is there? There has certainly been a lot of talk about introducing an agreement, but I don't know of any actual directive or agreement. Certainly some countries do have a reciprocal agreement, though.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Got snapped in the Mont Blanc Tunnel a few years ago, 70 (mph) in a 70 (kph) Embarassed

Would have considered ignoring the fine, but the armed Polizei who flagged me down looked like he was quite serious. On the spot fine paid and we're all smiles again Laughing

(and no spots on the licence Very Happy )
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yep this bug got me last month. The company I work for takes the fine out of my wages, the fine took less than 2 weeks to appear.
It is up to them (as the minibus hirer) to inform the DVLC it is not the French police who inform the UK.

I also got one in a 130kph zone. The allowed limit is 131kph so not much of a margin there.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 15-02-12 12:39; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Boredsurfing, that's normal in France - the limits are much tighter than in the UK.

Allowance is 5%, so at 70kph it should flash at 73.5kph - I did think there was a 5kph or 5%, whichever is greater rule though.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stevomcd, from the rumours around here by the French guys, they made them tighter because people were driving to a GPS/SatNav indicated speed rather than a speedo indicated speed. If your SatNav says you're doing N-1 kph then the speedo, which is the only legally controlled indicator of speed, will be saying you're going at least 10kph faster than the limit, typically.
Could be total BS, but that was the rumour going around.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
andy, That makes sense as when my tomtom was stating 130kph my speedo was at 140kph so I drove to that but now after two tickets I now drive to my speedo.
snow conditions
 cran
cran
The 110 one near Annamasse doesn't go off at 120 and the Swiss 100 ones between the border and Geneva airport don't go off at 110.

The 50 one by the border does go off at 51 though... See that flash a lot of people (not me so far).

Never had a ticket from a camera flash in France or Switzerland in my UK registered car. But if you are in a French/Swiss hire car you will get the fine as the hire company will pass on your details.

FWIW it's not worth speeding in Switzerland as even if you won't get a fine from cameras... if you are pulled over by a marked/unmarked police car you risk getting a very large fine.
ski holidays
cran, Not sure what nationality the Mont Blanc Tunnel guards were (Italian?) the fine was around 100 Euro from memory. Not great but not exorbitant.
snow conditions
 cran
cran
The fines in Switzerland increase depending how much over the limit you are, something like:

1-5 = 20 CHF
6-10 = 60 CHF
11-15 = 120 CHF
16-20 = 180 CHF
21-24 = 260 CHF
25-29 = 380 CHF
30-34 = 550 CHF
35-39 = 700 CHF
40-44 = 900 CHF
45-49 = 1'100 CHF
> 50 = 1'300 CHF

You do get your speed reduced by 8% though first Cool

If your fine was in euros it wasn't Swiss.
ski holidays
cran wrote:

If your fine was in euros it wasn't Swiss.

Good point, well made. Laughing
latest report
Both the French and Swiss fines are reduced substantially if paid quickly and without points on a UK licence.

They both send tickets to the French address where the car is registered, however flashes in France from the Annecy camera with a French hire car didn't result is a fine reaching me in the UK. Not sure if the Swiss are more efficient at sending to the UK.

If I receive any more, I'm considering framing them as a collage in the appartement rolling eyes
snow report
cran, also remember that speeding fines in CH vary depending on canton and whether you are in an urban area or on the motorway. Zurich is CHF 40 for 1-5 over the limit in towns and jumps to CHF 250 for the next band. I was done for 60 in a 50 last year in the next village (limit had been changed) - but since the next village is in the next canton, it only cost me CHF 125 instead of the CHF 250 it would have been here.
snow conditions
Quote:

the Swiss 100 ones between the border and Geneva airport

and remember - it's not always 100. Those speed limits change. Sometimes it's 80.

Axsman, I don't enjoy those long tunnels, and try hard not think of the people who have been fried in accidents. So personally, I would fine anybody going so far over the limit there (or not observing the statutory distance between vehicles) a lot more than 100 euros. Evil or Very Mad
latest report
Also since the 4th January 2012 all GPS with speed camera locations on them for FRANCE are banned and a 1500 euro fine applicable if caught with them switched on. Before my latest trip i update all of europe camera locations and the French one is now replaced with 4km long safety areas. Not necessarily with a camera in the 4km's
snow conditions
pam w, 's a fair cop guv. my only excuses were:

It was early on a Sunday morning there was no traffic other than us on the road - I mean zero.

I had been doing 85+ for the previous 3 hours of autoroute driving

I slowed down entering the tunnel, but it felt big and empty, with excellent visibility and dry roads.

70 just felt so slow.

In fact I was completely surprised when the camera flashed me, I didn't feel like I was speeding at all.

Still, guilty as charged - it was my foot on the pedal. If you can't pay the fine don't do the crime! Little Angel
snow report
Mr Marmot wrote:
I've never seen an Average Speed Camera 'flash'. I don't think the one in the Moutiers tunnel can be an Average Speed Camera.

I'm afraid it is, as of this year.
snow report
It may be a French urban myth but according to a French taxi driver the French have no way of getting fines off Swiss registered cars. Hence hire your car from the Swiss side of Geneva airport when driving in France!
snow report
Boredsurfing wrote:
There is a new EU agreement for collecting fines between each country, BUT the UK has opted out on the basis that our law requires proof of who was driving and not all EU cameras achieve that.
I'll try and find a link.

When did we "opt out" of our own law then, since virtually no UK cameras achieve that.

Even the ones which take photos of the front of the car (most mobile cameras and Truvelos, but no fixed gatsos), the photo is so blurred it is impossible to identify an individual in most cases.
snow report
alex_heney, The camera doesn't prove it: the NIP asks who was driving - and when (if) you say it was you, that is considered sufficient proof.
snow report
RobW wrote:
alex_heney, The camera doesn't prove it: the NIP asks who was driving - and when (if) you say it was you, that is considered sufficient proof.

Of course.

Your point?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

It may be a French urban myth but according to a French taxi driver the French have no way of getting fines off Swiss registered cars. Hence hire your car from the Swiss side of Geneva airport when driving in France!

johnE, I sincerely hope you're right about that! Got a great big flash in the face coming round a bend a couple of weeks ago whilst heading back down the autoroute blanche from Chamonix - I was doing c.100kph and the limit was 90 in that section (I think). Driving a swiss-registered hire car though so fingers crossed!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Got a great big flash in the face coming round a bend a couple of weeks ago whilst heading back down the autoroute blanche from Chamonix - I was doing c.100kph and the limit was 90 in that section (I think).

Ha ha! Just read the article from Morznet - that's the exact bug that got me! FYI - the camera's on the dual-carriageway just as you're coming to the bottom of the twisty bits that hug the cliff before Sallanches - there is a sign several kilometres beforehand but it's so far before the actual camera you're lulled into a false sense of security by the time you get there and it's on the inside of a blind right-hand bend which you accelrate through because you're coming to the end of all twisty bits. Sneaky so-and-sos.
ski holidays
So do the French have to put a sign up before each fixed camera? Puzzled
ski holidays
TangoFiver, Fixed camera yes but as jma, says they can be a good way off. I've seen plenty of mobile ones on the run to GVA which dont get signed so it's "keep 'em peeled"
snow report
Jerby wrote:
Also since the 4th January 2012 all GPS with speed camera locations on them for FRANCE are banned and a 1500 euro fine applicable if caught with them switched on.

Same goes for Germany, even though I don't know what fine is for this in Germany. But I would really love to see someone trying to check what my GPS has turned on or off.
latest report
alex_heney wrote:
Your point?

You said we opted out. We did not.
snow report
Was snapped in a tunnel in France whilst using a UK vehicle - took me by total surprise and dazzled me quite severely! Nothing ever came of it, though...
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

the Swiss 100 ones between the border and Geneva airport

and remember - it's not always 100. Those speed limits change. Sometimes it's 80.

The boxes are all empty though.

I agree though 100kph is enough through those tunnels.
ski holidays
johnE wrote:

It used to be the case but they came to an agreement and French fines have been passed on to CH registered cars since 2009. Sadly, since I got one last Easter Sad
snow conditions
RobW wrote:
alex_heney wrote:
Your point?

You said we opted out. We did not.

Now go and read what I wrote.

I did not say we opted out at all.

I said that IF they used the excuse given for opting out of the EU wide one, then we would also have to opt out of our own, since the same thing applies.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy