Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

'Off Piste Perfection' with Offpisteskiing.com

Poster: A snowHead
Last week (4th to 11th Feb) I had the pleasure of attending sHs own Offpisteskiing's 'Off Piste Perfection' course, based in Bourg d'Oisans with the aim of exploring L2A, ADH and, of course, La Grave. It was described as for those who are:

'Happy in powder but want to push your limits? This course is for experienced off piste skiers/tourers who want to fine tune their technique and explore great backcountry descents!'

There were 8 of us on the course, being led Simon and IFMGA Mountain Guide Jim Kerr.

The accommodation was a very welcoming gite just outside Bourg run by a French couple. The food was excellent hearty home cooking and the atmosphere was very relaxed.

On the first night, Jim and Simon explained how the week would run. Following a few runs as one group on a mixture of piste and off-piste, the group would be split in two teams, based (roughly) on ability. Each team would spend alternate days with Simon, who provided a teaching bias to the guiding and then Jim, who guided us over more complex glacial terrain when conditions were appropriate. There was no set plan and the teams swapped over as various people improved or decided to have less arduous days. This worked extremely well and there was never a time when I felt we were pushed too far or not pushed far enough.

We spent 3 days in La Grave, 2 days in ADH and a day in L2A. Jim and Simon chose routes depending on the strengths of the groups and I can honestly say that it included the most technically challenging route I've skied in the Chirouze Couloir, which included a short rapel on skis. As a taster, we also skied the Banane, Grand, Terrace (Patou), Hidden and Freaux Coiloirs in La Grave, descended from L2A to St. Christophe and a variety of routes off the back of the Pic Blanc. Both Simon and Jim encouraged us to take responsibility for our own safety and were keen to explain their decision making processes, rather than just let us follow them like lemmings.

The tuition was excellent and Simon made us focus on one or maybe two key points on each day our team skied with him. This avoided us trying to think of a thousand things at once, which was particularly helpful in the particularly spicy bits of breakable crust we encountered.

Three of those present had been on the same course several times before and this was testament to how good it was. I'd very strongly recommend it to anyone who's looking for a bit of a more adventurous slant to off-piste skiing, doesn't mind some exposure, likes steep slopes and is prepared to do some hiking and skinning. Superb. Many thanks for a great week Offpisteskiing and will probably see you again next year snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks for the report. If I am ever allowed away without the kids again, this will be something to consider. That is a big if mind Sad
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Any special tours of trees?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Layne, no probs.

fatbob, not since the restraining order.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sharkymark, glad you had a good week. some worthy lines ticked off there
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sharkymark, currently having a Dropbox session - got a few weeks to catch up on but will drop you an email when last weeks piccies are in.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
offpisteskiing, excellent, thanks snowHead I've got a few myself but it'll take an age to sort through the GoPro footage.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sharkymark, sounds wonderful. snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes - saw the pics over on facebook - looked chalky and steep Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
That sort of trip is the only real way to do it, in fact been doing those trips since 97

Have a bunch of mates who have been in LG and they only did one day there and then in the van to other locations as the conditions were deemed to be better - and that is what a good guide is all about - as he used to say to us when we asked what would we be doing the next day - the answer was always "Wait & See" - he'd then spend the next day ringing round speaking to other guides about conditions etc

In fact sounds like conditions have conspired against them now - and the guide didn't bother taking them out (which is another good sign) due to high winds etc and now they are planning to decamp to Courcheval where other friends are working and 20cms of fresh yesterday, as the guiding is now off as conditions look no better for tomorrow.

That's the reason why we go for four weeks in a hit beginning of March - bound to get some decent conditions sooner or later - and the weather is often kinder, especially for touring
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wonder how I can get a pass from Batman_123 to do this or one of the Steep.... trips next year...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sideshow_Bob, JFDI Wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski wrote:

Just for you then kitenski:

Banane:

Chirouze:

Snowheads very own Sharkymark throwing silhouettes:

Top of St Christophe descent from Lac Noir:

Optional refreshment stop in the Cordee in St Christophe:
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Got a week booked with offpisteskiing for the beginning of March in Cham. This thread has seriously ratcheted up the anticipation - it's two whole weeks away tho!!!
ski holidays
Sharkymark, I recognise that chap on Banane, I was skiing with him today, see http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=78906&start=560#1984827

He was telling me today how good the course was, I was tempted to do it myself, he was very eager when we met up this morning at the bottom of the stairs for the gondola "Lets go, we're do the singles queue" me "Is there a queue then?", "err, no", me "calm down". Then I endured / enjoyed a straight through 5 hours powder session.
snow report
That's the first time I've seen a photo of a couloir that if anything makes it steeper than it actually is Puzzled

And if you have not already seen it (yawn)

You can always tell good conditions when the powder is still in the air after two or three turns Madeye-Smiley

http://youtube.com/v/nC2-_7eafyI
ski holidays
Weathercam, was that Scarpa going for a paddle? Laughing
snow conditions
Weathercam, its all about the angles... - everyone knows Banane is only 10º... Very Happy

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 17-02-12 7:16; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Weathercam, PS I didn't even apply any EAT or IAT to those pics either..! Happy
snow conditions
Somewhere, and I can't find it, have a vid of my mate getting swept down the middle of Bannane by a little slide with the guide realising what was happening skiing down on the opposite edge to where I was filming trying to catch him up / stay with him.

Still say that's a damn fine angle to be getting on that pic, as I said never seen anything exaggerating the angle "almost", as we all know most snaps never show the true gradient that well - impressed !

This has to be one of the longest couloirs we've don, Combe du Riou - Yret lift up from Monetier, then over as if doing Montagnolle, then climb up to the ridge, and then very steep pitch off the ridge to traverse keeping height to start the climb up the Dome de Monetier, then entering the couloir as on the map - then all the way down in the shadow of Pelvoux and keep going through all the summer camp sites ending up at Ailefroide - conditions to have to be perfect, and obviously need logistics in place to get back to Monetier!

But still rates as one of the most impressive day tours I've done and not that many people do it.

If you don't have the logistics then carry out NW and come down via Col des Brouillards then down through Vallon du Grand Tabac

snow report
Weathercam wrote:
as we all know most snaps never show the true gradient that well

Oh I dunno.... the angle looked pretty steep on that cliff you threw yourself off... Toofy Grin
latest report
Weathercam wrote:

Still say that's a damn fine angle to be getting on that pic, as I said never seen anything exaggerating the angle "almost", as we all know most snaps never show the true gradient that well - impressed !

Thanks Happy

my top tips for 'angle promotion' -
Never shoot more than 1/2 or 1 turn uphill - side view or shooting downhill always look steeper...
Careful application of EAT (no more than 1 or 2 degs) is good, without straying into IAT, most people hold a camera/video camera at a slight angle when standing on a steeper slope which tends to flatten things out...
snow conditions
Heres one I took of offpisteskiing a few years back on one of his steeps course, no EAT, IAT, WHAT or NOT needed Toofy Grin
ski holidays
waynos, yeah, Andy, he's well keen isn't he! I think I've been added to his Alpen Tour MTB team... Skullie

Sideshow_Bob, what Arno says wink I'll almost certainly be doing this or one of the steep courses next year, esp if it's anything like ^^^^^ snowHead

Big Paua, it's worth the wait. Trust me on that snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy