Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are helmet cams a good thing?

Poster: A snowHead
Just looking at the thread with the go pro crashes... Unless you are really good, or doing something really epic (I think the guy falling off backwards from some crazy place qualified for this!), ideally both, is there much point filming your exploits?

Does it just lead to the less than average skier taking more than average risks to try and get some higher hit-count on youtube?

Does attaching a go-pro to the top of your head require you to un-attach your brain?

Discuss... Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm hoping most of the joey go-pros are recording for private consumption, boring their mates etc rather than specifically planning on putting on youtube. The pros who do it are skiing interesting stuff but even them sending large cliffs and floating tight trees are rendered rather mundane by the POV unless they really line up with shadows for depth context etc.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

is there much point filming your exploits?

well not if you expect the rest of the world to be entertained by them - they are just as dire as other home movies. But as a record of your own holiday, and your friends and family enjoying themselves, why not?

I take films and pictures of my grandchildren, our ski trips, our family parties, but I don't put them on youTube. wink

Films of other people skiing are much more worthwhile than those "look at the world whizzing past as I power my way down this run" shots which are mostly super-boring unless there's a crash! It's cool (in small doses) if Martin Bell does it down a World Cup downhill, but not when Mr Average Punter does it.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Basically if your life isn't as interesting as this and your editing skillz as good I'd think twice about assuming the outside world gives a toss

Go Pro Commercial Edit from brannen
http://vimeo.com/22637719
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
yes, very clever editing. all shots very short. The amateur ones go on and on (mine included....).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Great for filming the kids - or your mates launching off a 7 foot drop and doing a snow angel.

I've also found other people's footage following me helpful in highlighting technique (or in my case the lack of it).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Crell, you're right, those shots are indeed useful. When I film my grandchildren I might do very long shots - e.g. of a 3 year old doing a drawing, and talking about it. The whole point of that sort of shot is to show you exactly how you're skiing, maybe right down a run, or to enjoy the way 3 year olds go about things.

An "arty" video such as in the link above is for a completely different purpose - it's pure entertainment. if someone was really interested in one of those ski routes, for example, they'd be infuriated if it turned into a mountain bike track after 2.5 seconds.

I suspect that when lots of people pick up a camera (again I include myself in this) they've not thought enough about the purpose of the footage, or done any planning. That clever one probably took many, many, man hours and a lot of planning.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've rather enjoyed the constant stream of new Youtube videos being posted this season... most days there is a new post of footage for my trip destination this season (les Arcs) and seeing actual footage of the epic conditions has only added to the sense of expectation...

TBH, (and having made a few clips myself) the enjoyment is in creating the movie, trying to emulate (in some sense) a more professional production and most importantly sharing with your immediate friends. The quality of GoPro's is amazing (compared to the digital tape i have) but pov helmet cam shots are dull dull dull unless edited slicky (a la the video above) or interjected with other footage. GoPro enables WAY more interesting shots than just chest or helmet cams....this, is a good example IMO, (March 2011, not great snow... not really great skills on display in this, but it's all put together rather well and the net effect is a neat little movie... which probably took 10 plus hours to edit together! )
http://youtube.com/v/KlwXNHmZQnY
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I cannot understand how people have time to ski all day, take film of it, and then watch it all at night and why? Unless some narcissistic pathology
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well, you could say the same about photos, why take photos that nobody else will be interested in? The reason being that they're for your own entertainment/memories, and for those that were on the holiday with you.

I've got a GoPro, and use it for both skiing and mountain biking. I then put it on YouTube for the benfit of the people I was there with, who also enjoy watching them. I'll admit it's hardly 'Hollywood Action Blockbuster' stuff, but that's not the point.

What I will say though is that they tend to get plenty views, a healthy 'audience retention', and a fair few complimentary comments & 'likes'. So there's definitely people out there watching them and enjoying them.

Personally I'll also watch other peoples 'less than thrilling' videos of pistes and mountain bike trails on a regular basis. I find it particularly useful when doing research into pistes/trails that I'm interested in trying out. Things don't have to be ridiculously thrilling in order to be entertaining or useful!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cynic wrote:
I cannot understand how people have time to ski all day, take film of it, and then watch it all at night and why? Unless some narcissistic pathology

I'm sure most people filming their holiday are doing so in order to be able top watch it when they get home, not at night during the holiday.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stuarth wrote:
Just looking at the thread with the go pro crashes... Unless you are really good, or doing something really epic (I think the guy falling off backwards from some crazy place qualified for this!), ideally both, is there much point filming your exploits?

Yup, lots, just like taking photos. Taking a camera with you skiing is hardly a new phenomenon, it's just small, cheap cameras are affordable and Vimeo and YouTube provide venues to share your crap with the world. The choice to watch something is with the viewer, don't blame the person who put the footage up because you can't make discerning choices. Twisted Evil

stuarth wrote:
Does it just lead to the less than average skier taking more than average risks to try and get some higher hit-count on youtube?

Probably in some cases.

stuarth wrote:
Does attaching a go-pro to the top of your head require you to un-attach your brain?

No but worrying about what other people are doing with their money and free time does unless it directly affects you. The current TGR GoPro (NoPro) hate for example when last year all the haters were posting dull POV every five minutes.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Its nice to get a view of the runs or areas you are going to on your trips away & with HD cameras such as the GoPro & Contour in conjunction with hosting sites like YouTube this is getting easier. It wasn't that long ago that the quality on skiing videos online was very grainy. Now we have opened up a whole new world of information available to the traveller. Yes there is a lot of cr@p out there & I'm sure plenty of staged crashes but there are also some useful videos too.

I carry mine with me when I go skiing & if people ask to see the videos then they can do & judging by the number of views in my channel plenty of people do want access to these.

Can say I don't notice the camera until I get stares from people looking at it.

Judging by some of those I have witnessed skiing / boarding out of control, a camera is not always needed to disengage the brain.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I find POV video is great for reminiscing some of the great runs you had while on holiday. I usually edit them into short highlight clips, add a bit of background music and then replay the clips on my PC whenever I have a few minutes to kill in the summer and want a reminder of the snow. It's not meant to be a blockbuster film for the general public! Here's one for you to yawn over. For me it brings back instant memories that nobody else has.

http://youtube.com/v/qhPsjRzVdk4
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
meh wrote:
stuarth wrote:

Yup, lots, just like taking photos. Taking a camera with you skiing is hardly a new phenomenon, it's just small, cheap cameras are affordable and Vimeo and YouTube provide venues to share your crap with the world. The choice to watch something is with the viewer, don't blame the person who put the footage up because you can't make discerning choices. Twisted Evil

stuarth wrote:

Probably in some cases.

stuarth wrote:

No but worrying about what other people are doing with their money and free time does unless it directly affects you. The current TGR GoPro (NoPro) hate for example when last year all the haters were posting dull POV every five minutes.

Calm down, was just asking (slightly provocatively) wink

I do actually agree with having a go-pro - in fact I nearly bought one to film my son learning.

What I'm not so sure about is either
a) people spending so much time looking at their camera, they are not looking where they are going
b) doing crazy things that they are not up to doing just to get a good film (though guess you could do this just as well with a still camera wielding mate)
c) posting super dull holiday movies on website forum

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 15-02-12 20:52; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I do a lot of Kayaking, probably my best sport, and I have to say, I have filmed stuff on a head cam, admittedly not HD, but if just seemed pointless to me, mainly due to my lack of editing skills!
ski holidays
stuarth wrote:
Calm down, was just asking wink

I do actually agree with having a go-pro - in fact I nearly bought one to film my son learning.

What I'm not so sure about is either
a) people spending so much time looking at their camera, they are not looking where they are going
b) doing crazy things that they are not up to doing just to get a good film (though guess you could do this just as well with a still camera wielding mate)
c) posting super dull holiday movies on website forum

wink

a) Yup, this is even worse with handheld cameras! At least the GoPro is typically mounted somewhere on your body.
b) Yup, this is true of filming anything and part of the reason you get such awesome footage from pros. There is a certain amount of expectation to perform when filmed. If you skied with a GoPro day in/day out it would soon normalise for you though.
c) Just for that I'm going to post some when I manage to record something and edit it. Shocked

I actually just bought one of the new generation GoPros both because I want a record of what I do and because I think fiddling around with video editing looks fun. I promise to subject you all to the most dull footage with some of the worst colour grading known to man. I promise flat light and even flatter slopes with skiing that will make your dog blush! Even worse I shall use evocative locales and titles to get you interested and clicking. Mwhahahahahahhahahhaha. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
For example here is me skiing an active volcano.
snow report
Has anyone ever seen a woman with one on her head?
snow report
meh, Twisted Evil I actually love being rick rolled, makes my day Laughing
latest report
SpencerJT, I aim to please. Smile
ski holidays
Richie_S,

Liked it !!

especially the "running into the camera" sequences.

Nice film, well done!!
ski holidays
maggi wrote:

Not skiing, but plenty kayaking.
latest report
i use my GoPro to (ahem) record my antics in the bubbles

Dont upload them to YouTube though
snow conditions
mishmash, not my clip I'm afraid. But thanks, on behalf of the guy that did it!
Smile
snow conditions
I've got a ContourGPS. It's useful in recording each other to improve, catching out my stupid crashes and also is there in case there's ever a dispute about who-ran-into-who etc!
Wouldn't dream of skiing without it.
ski holidays
Quote:

I had one on my head for the first time this year - I was sceptical about it but my other half really wanted a helmetcam so he did all the research and chose it. We both took turns in wearing it and pretty much recorded for the whole time we were skiing, so have HOURS of footage.

To my surprise, I've loved editing the shots together - the other half hasn't got a look in - I won't torture others with my footage but I love looking through it!

The sound is a bit cringy though - lots of sounding out of breath and slightly delirious talking and laughing to myself when things get a bit scary...
ski holidays

http://youtube.com/v/m_wNjJFL-9k

My mate and me learning to ski when not super groomed and flat...via the iPhone!

So hang me, I love having a permanent record of how much fun I/we have had!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SLB79, glad you're having fun with one. The reason I asked is that this year there seems to be loads of head cams about - but only on men. Wondered if it was just another "boy toy" thing!
snow conditions
My OH wears ours, but it attaches to your goggle strap and isn't immediately obvious - one of the reasons I bought it as she didn't like the idea of having a go-pro on top of her head!!
latest report
I had one of those ATC2000 memory card helmet cams about 5 years ago. I didn't have a helmet to strap it to at the time, and I quickly discovered it was floppy just strapped round my fleecey hat. Plus 9.5 times out of 10 it wasn't pointing it in the right direction so the footage would be naff, and if it was, it would flap around at any speed that the end result was always rubbish. I also realised I was spending 5 mins at the top and bottom of every run faffing with the thing, and thats on top of my boarder faff. I used it for 1 trip then gave up.

That said some of the go pro image quality is nice. I actually don't mind people posting up their amateur videos (ahem), and it doesnt have to be super gnarly, but if its a run or resort I'm interested in (just been to, going to, or would like to go to) I'm quite happy to spend a few mins watching someones naff home clips or of say the vallee blanche, or the grand couloir. If its not something im interested in I just dont watch it - easy choice.
ski holidays
They make you look like a teletubby and unless the conditions are awesome and you have the skills to match thereby making epic stoke no one really cares. It's just a shame with have so many outlets to unleash gigs of crappy footage onto the internet and so many take the opportunity.
ski holidays
narc, why so worried about what other people are doing when it makes no difference to you?
snow report
Quote:

SLB79, glad you're having fun with one. The reason I asked is that this year there seems to be loads of head cams about - but only on men. Wondered if it was just another "boy toy" thing!

To be fair, I'd say definitely a boy toy thing - I'd have never chosen to buy one, but now I see the error of my girlish ways Toofy Grin ! My next project is a bloopers film - sooooo much footage to chose from...
ski holidays
it's not just about the film. The edit is fairly crucial too.
A good editor can make the even fairly dull footage into something watchable.
You might not get something that will get 1,000,000 hits on youtube, but you can put together a really good memento of a great holiday. Friends, family or whatever.
ski holidays
narc wrote:
They make you look like a teletubby and unless the conditions are awesome and you have the skills to match thereby making epic stoke no one really cares. It's just a shame with have so many outlets to unleash gigs of crappy footage onto the internet and so many take the opportunity.

Do you actually think people post their holiday ski vids to Youtube for the general public to enjoy? Does it actually cause you any problems? I don't think amateur ski vids would even make the top million internet issues we face today
rolling eyes
snow report
I have a GoPro, the helmet mount mahes it unstable unless you have a very snug fitting helmet!
Also being 6ft 4 I find it awkward on chair lifts as it tends to get clonked by the bar on the way down.
I now use the chesty mount and find it great, it doesn't get in the way and doesn't make me look like a teletubby.
I did however get shouted at by a lifty last week for not removing my rucksack, he did laugh when after the third time of telling him I didn't have one I turned around!
The chesty gives a good POV in my opinion, lets you see what you are doing with your skis and poles.

http://youtube.com/v/kzoQyXQchmM&feature=channel
latest report
I quite liked that chest-mount view. Obviously not great for capturing anyone in a group ski out, but a good perspective none-the-less IMO.
ski holidays
Chasseur, what sort of shot are you talking about? If you are following skiers downhill it works well, if however you are standing still and want to get the guys next to you it is not so good.
But there is not so good and then tehre is looking like a teletubby, which in itself is not so good Laughing
snow report
Chattonmill, Laughing

I'm almost certainly going to invest in a GoPro and liked the look of the chest harness. Once the camera is clipped to the harness, is it static, or can one adjust the angle at all? Also, aren't there fittings to attach the camera to the front of the helmet as opposed to the top? Naturally, I'm keen to avoid looking anymore like a teletubby than usual.... Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy