Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Half Term Saturday travel

Poster: A snowHead
Skullie Skullie

So having perfected the art of the half term drive out over the past couple of years thanks to the very generous advice from snowHead s I find myself in the more difficult position this year of having a Sunday arrival into the accomm.

Not quite sure how to play the travel now Puzzled

Normal procedure for a Sat arrival is to travel on an early Eurotunnel on Fri am, drive practically the whole way and stay somewhere within an hour's drive of the resort on the Friday night ready for an early dart up the hill on Saturday morning.

Now if I do similar this means driving all day Sat on the busiest day which is not advised.

But I can't see how I can avoid it really.

Driving Fri and then 2 nights in a hotel prior to the holiday not really an option.

We could do away with the overnight stop, get an early tunnel and drive the whole distance on Sunday, but this would mean arriving later than I'd like really (joining friends in a catered chalet so likely we would miss dinner) or get a later in the day Saturday tunnel and make an overnight stop more like half way down rather than our usual close to resort.

Or we could just see how bad it really is Laughing

Also for the return, looks like we will hit the tunnel around 7pm on the end of half term Sunday night, is this bad? Have previously returned on a late Saturday night crossing which was busy and a Sunday morning one which was quiet.

Any thoughts? I'd be glad of any advice.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

get a later in the day Saturday tunnel and make an overnight stop more like half way down rather than our usual close to resort.

I'd go for that, I think. I wouldn't book anything for Saturday night - just get as far as possible, so you can make the most of Sunday. It'll be the Friday night which will be difficult, in hotels nearish to the resorts. If you have to be back in the UK on Sunday, for school/work on Monday, I'd try to leave resort early then hope for the best! An alternative would be to ski all day Saturday, then do 3 - 4 hours in the evening, maybe to Dijon or thereabouts, to make an easy day on Sunday.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sarah, we stay in Chalons-sur-Saone, which is about 4 hours drive from the main 3V/Les Arcs areas. I'd say that should be ok? Far enough away from Lyon to miss all the worst of the jams on the Sat and is a smooth drive into resorts the next day, particularly with the new Lyon relief road now open.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, thanks for that. Still not sure though, a later in the day Sat tunnel could just be more delayed as any delays will just have a knock on effect and get worse as the day goes on. I think we will have to get back Sunday, better ask the OH, he normally takes the Friday off before but won't need to this year so may take the Monday off which would make things easier. In any case can't really and don't want to leave the night before.
Boris, thanks, sorry forgot to say going to PDS, Chatel, so Chalons not quite en route for us (maybe it could be though). Would usually go Jura route, Besancon and Pontarlier etc but thinking of Bourg en Bresse route instead, depends on time of day I suppose. Jura route late and tired in bad weather is not the best option.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm assuming you have children sarah?

I would probably aim for a 4-5pm Eurotunnel and aim to drive till midnight. I would guess/hope that the morning chaos would be a thing of memory by that stage. I wouldn't anticipate a problem on the journey back. I drove from Val T to the S Coast (via the Tunnel) fairly comfortably in a day in April without exceeding any speed limits - and Chatel is probably 1-2hrs closer.

PS If you don't have children, I would probably drive another couple of hours.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Freddie Paellahead, yes, just one, hence the half term trip Laughing

Sounds reasonable that, kind of what I was thinking of but then got worried about the morning backlog knock on.

Off to work out how far we can get if we drive til Midnight.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My suggestion (we have done it this way in the past) is to take a crossing around midday Saturday and stay overnight in Besancon. That is around 6 hours steady drive. IBIS Besancon La City has a good safe underground car park and you can get three in the room I think if that suits you. Short walk into town if you want to have dinner). That way you only have around 2 h 30 m to do on Sunday - either a crack of dawn start to ski or a leisurely late breakfast and steady trundle if you just want to get there by mid afternoon. The drive through the Jura is beautiful and unless there is very heavy snow is OK. It is certainly the most direct one. If you want to cut the tolls and are not under time pressure try coming off the motorway at Langres and go via Gray on the Route Nationale.

Coming back I would go a for a similar route if you can manage to get Monday as a holiday - that way you can ski the second Sunday and then head out at around 5, Besancon at 8, dinner, early start the next day and avoid the weekend madness.

Maybe see you there - our next trip is half term. Where in the village will you be?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Reims is around 160 miles from Calais, Troyes is around 240 miles. If you work on an average of 60 mph, then they are 3hrs and 4 hrs respectively.

We always drive down at half term. My daughter is now 12, but we did our first drive when she was 6. I prefer to drive through the night, since it is easier driving while she is asleep, rather than when she is asking "are we there yet" or "I'm bored".
The schedule for a Saturday changeover is 8pm Friday Shuttle, straight through to arrive at the resort (or at the foot of the mountain) around 9am Saturday for breakfast.
The schedule for a Sunday changeover is easier, with a 3pm Saturday Shuttle, and a meal at Troyes on Saturday night. This gives an extra 3 (or so) hours for having a cheeky 4am snooze in the car en-route.

Pop a red-bull on the way and you're good to ski all day when you arrive. However... the first pint of "apres-ski" will see you incoherently drunk in spectacular fashion! (I try and find a bar showing the 6nations rugby for the best effect!).

The schedule for the return journey is the same regardless of changeover day. Ski on the saturday until around 2pm (we call this "favourites day", since everyone gets to choose their favourite piste for one last time), and then start the journey back to Calais. It is easy getting off the mountain at this time on a Saturday, and we generally get back to Calais at around 1-2am. Home by 5am, and sleep through till midday! My wife is a Headteacher, and my daughter goes to Boarding school, so everyone has to be sorted by around 6pm on Sunday night (hence driving back on a Sunday is a no-go for us).

We too are going to PdS this year (all the previous trips have been down to the Paradiski area) so I'm actually looking forward to cutting 1-2 hours off the total trip. I agree with the route through Bourg. It may not be as scenic as the Besancon route, but I'm heading down there to ski, not look out the window Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DJL, Thanks that could work well. The Jura drive is my preferred option if we will hit it during daylight but not if it's dark. We are actually staying in La Chapelle.

jamescollings, thanks but driving through the night does not appeal!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
DJL, you do calais to Besancon, across the Jura, in 6 hours? Shocked

do you then go eastabout round the lake?

we often drive across the Jura, but through Poligny/champagnole - nowhere near as far east as Besancon. it's scarcely longer than going on the motorway and much less boring - as well as cheaper. there are some nice lunch spots on the route, too. But it needs to be nice weather.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, 6 hours is the driving time going fairly sensibly (c. 120 kph on the motorway) but the Jura only really starts after Besancon. Route continues to Pontarlier then Swiss border at Valorbe (often a queue here caused by the Swiss selling motorway vignettes) and down to Lausanne and E end of the lake up the Rhone valley and over the Pas de Morgins.

After doing Calais Reims Troyes Dole Besancon I'm sick of the sight of motorway so it's nice to get onto some more interesting roads though decent chunks are still dual carriageway.

Added bonus is a superb bakery just after the tunnel in Besancon before heading up the hill out of town.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks sarah, everyone, doing the exact same trip this year, though to Morgins with 4 adults, 4yo twin girls and a 9yo boy!, having never driven to the alps before. Once you've got a plan nailed down it would be great if you could share. I promise we wont follow too closely, you'll bearly even know we are there!

But seriously, us two skiing husbands really need to get this right if we ever want another family skiing holiday.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, my planner is telling me 6h 40min to Besancon so I could well believe DJL's 6 hours is possible. If we go the Jura route we go Besancon, Pontarlier and east around the lake. I agree with you about the weather, it's no joke in the pitch dark - that road is unlit for long stretches - and freezing fog over the tops.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
oops slow typing Embarassed

Snow Hound, which day are you arriving at your accomm on? Are you doing this at half term?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sarah wrote:
oops slow typing Embarassed

Snow Hound, which day are you arriving at your accomm on? Are you doing this at half term?

Sunday and yes, exactly the same as you, just to the village next door.
snow report
Snow Hound, Laughing Let me know what option you decide on Laughing I will post up when I've made a final plan. Meanwhile there are loads and loads of threads for more general driving out tips, advice, stop offs etc.
ski holidays
Hi. We haven't braved the drive at half term yet ( only Easter). We take the Bourg en Bresse/Macon route and then nip off at Frangey and follow a windy route until we get to Annecy. So far we haven't met too much traffic but am sure half term would be much busier.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy