Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SCGB - Whistler Report

Poster: A snowHead
Don't get me wrong - I used to be a SCGB member for a few years and admittedly I did use to enjoy their weekly Snow Overview updates, resort reviews etc. That's before I got completely addicted to this site ...

We're off to Whistler in 3 weeks and as you can imagine I've been religiously following every snow report / update available.

What I'm trying to reconcile is why the SCGB Leader is currently reporting Great conditions - wax up your skis! when every other blog suggests that conditions are at best OK if not a bit icy in places with a major dump needed. Has anyone else experienced this with other resorts? Why not report it as is?

Am I being unfair?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Best conditions on the upper slopes.

Can't see there is really a role for the cozy "not quite independent" resort reporter these days. Anywhere major has a number of blogs and snowfall data you can tap into if you care. If it's just groomers you'll be skiing, snow conditions are kinda irrelevant beyond the you'll be through to bare rock or it's man made or severe refreeze only. Watching the BBC ski report this week (data supplied by SKGB) it seems Excellent is the rating for OK and Good is the rating for pretty mediocre.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Every time I went there it rained.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cynic, me too, but more often than not it was snow higher up and sometimes even sun higher up!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
franga, if you are thinking of skiing with an SCGB rep then indeed the conditions are excellent. It has been snowing pretty much non-stop for the last week or so, and whilst daily values lie around a massive 2cm the accumulations are adding up. Intrepid skiers will find powder.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cynic wrote:
Every time I went there it rained.

Well that's fairly unlucky (as you keep reminding us), but Whistler wouldn't have a rep of being one of the best resorts in N. America if this was really always the case...

Conditions are fairly (to use a WB propaganda word) "variable" at the moment. It has been pretty warm recently so everything lower down was slushy and had some light rain on, still warm so it mostly hasn't frozen solid again yet. However there is a pretty decent base so no real issues, and the snow forecase for this week should help sort that out, though still quite warm so where the freezing level will be, who knows.
Off piste is also variable. The front side of the peak was not bad (surprise, shale slope, etc), but the west side and slightly lower (doom and gloom, VD trees) was not good at all - soft in places and refrozen in others.
Out towards/past Picolo there was even some fresh tracks to be had, it was quite nice. So nice in fact I got carried away and forgot to look where I was going (must be that funny coloured Electric lens parlor recommended! wink ) and launched an unexpected jump/cornice and broke myself rolling eyes

It would be fair to say that it could do with snowing a bit, but this is really to freshen things up, especially off-piste, rather than depth of coverage itself, though there are a few rocks showing in places off piste. Last year was pretty epic so perhaps everyone is a bit spoiled with an only a bit less than average year. snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
just back from Whistler and Stuarth has it spot on. Our first 4 days were sunny, clear blue skies and perfect visibility. But that brought a freeze/thaw cycle and the south(ish) facing aspects were not great. Most especially 7th Heaven which we only got to once thesun had disappeared on the second half of our time there. Very flat light above the treeline and distinctly underwhelming snow (ice) conditions.

On any day there was good snow (off piste) to be found, if you looked for it.

The groomers were never a problem

Coverage is good but not great ( in Whistler terms which is a lot better than most)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've noticed this with some of the North American resorts (because of the time-lag) and the European resorts where there is no leader. In those cases you get trite phrases like "Great conditions - wax up your skis!" which is code for "We got this from the tourist office, not a leader". Certainly at the moment I'm getting two a day for Whistler from SCGB - one that is the tourist office stuff that I ignore, then one with a named club leader in it which is more honest (though as we all know, tending to the upbeat).
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Last year was pretty epic so perhaps everyone is a bit spoiled with an only a bit less than average year.

Great comment / post (thanks stuarth and malcolm1). This would be our 3rd time in WB but have never left it till March. I remember the epic start to the 2006 season with great fondness - powder everywhere even at low levels.

We're there for 3 weeks with our 2 kids in tow so I expect spending most of our time on the groomers which sounds like they're in pretty decent shape.

Phew.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
And don't forget to keep checking wbsr's web site for updates!

http://whistlersnowreport.com/
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We are in Whistler at the moment.
Just had three bluebird days which has been great as we have have done the Max4 guiding lessons.
Conditions are still excellent on piste above mid station but a little icy lower although not bad.
The forecast is for snow pretty much for the next few days so my non existent powder skills may be found wanting.
Cheapest beer is the Crystal lounge if you can fight your way through the boarders and kids, best après straight off the slopes is the Longhorn but the prices will make your eyes water.
We were in Soldeu in Jan and it's a real shock the difference in price out here but we love the place so hey ho.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi Steve.S,

Thanks for the update - are prices that bad, must be the ER as I don't remember The Longhorn being overly expensive last time we were there (2 years ago)?

Quick question - are you allowed to eat your own food / picnic on any of the mountain restaurants or are the Intrawest police out in full force?

Thanks and enjoy rest of your hols.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Take that umbrella.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
franga wrote:
Hi Steve.S,

Thanks for the update - are prices that bad, must be the ER as I don't remember The Longhorn being overly expensive last time we were there (2 years ago)?

Not really a huge change in the CA$ price (haven't been to the longhorn for a while, but from my survey of various other establishments! Smile ), but the GBP has dropped a fair way - though not so massively in the last 2 years

Quote:

Quick question - are you allowed to eat your own food / picnic on any of the mountain restaurants or are the Intrawest police out in full force?

Really don't think they'd care. Perhaps somewhere like the crystal hut might be different, but the bigger places I wouldn't have thought would be a problem. It's not Europe wink - they already make money from you just going up there so probably not so bothered about the food.

(btw not intrawest anymore, though they are a fairly big WB shareholder I believe)
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
franga,
The longhorn is about £7.00 dearer on a a jug of lager than the Crystal hence the forest of snowboards in the entrance to the Crystal but it is straight off the the slopes and the music is pretty good.
They do have deals some nights so it is worth checking with your server.
We were in the Roundhouse today and there were people taking in their own food but it was busy so they may have just got away with it.
Fantastic today after yesterday's snow and another storm has just come in so looking good for the next couple of days.
snow conditions
franga wrote:
Hi Steve.S,

No problem with le pic nic. I quite often heat food in the lodges in the microwaves provided. Free water too.
ski holidays
My recollection is that there is no issue with self catering at the bigger eateries on mountain and very often you will see backpacks left hanging on the hooks available with peoples lunches in them. The smaller places I think would like to restrict seating to the paying clientele and I have a recollection that the Chic Pea has a sign to that effect. Whether anyone pays any attention to it is another matter. Frankly I doubt it. Also, in the good weather when we were there the outside areas were all being used so there was plenty seating available anyway. I have never seen anyone from the on mountain staff policing that....on the other hand I have seen loads of people tucking into their home made lunch. When in ski school very often our instructors brought their own food and used the microwaves etc available
ski holidays
There are deals to be had if you look around.........for example Earls in the Village (above one of the Starbucks) has a different promotion every night on something. Our favourite was Wings Wednesday, being half price wings ($6 per serving) and beer at $5.99 from 3 pm on Wednesday.

If you want to go to the cinema, Tuesday is a good night to go as that is the cheap day ($7.50 I recall, certainly for the early evening showtimes)

The big places at the bottom of the lifts are not, I would guess, those most likely to be doing deals
snow report
**snorkel alert**
snow conditions
It's not raining again!
latest report
Thanks guys - much appreciated.

Looking forward to our 3 weeks in March.
snow report
franga, we are out there in first week of March so have been watching reports too
Having been a number of times before we know to expect great conditions up high and so so on the lower slopes, but still looking forward to it
snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy