Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

help please :) atomic theory vs head peak 84 vs outland 80

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys

In my first week in Canada, another 3 to go, trying to choose a ski! I have been to a few shops and got a large variation in reccomendations. Obviously in the future I will be in Europe skiing.

I'm 6ft, 95kg, intermediate. I want to be able to ski on and off piste. Not interested in park stuff. I have a fairly aggressive style.

Anyone care to offer me their thoughts? I will def be demoing at least two of them but I'm keen to get ppls opinions before hand as its hard to tell what is good advice and what is sales talk!

Thanks, Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Theory a good ski for everything and excellent for your needs as you describe. I skied a pair all I would say make sure you have a pair long enough, I am your height skied 177 thought it too short if you like stability at speed, I am only 80kg. One thing, if you are thinking of more off-piste, then the Mission would be a better ski to get you tuned in, then buy something fatter when off-piste is all you are interested in, and that will happen I assure you. I do not know the other two at all.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh has just bought the Head i peak 84. He's about your height and weight and he does really like them
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I recently bought a pair of Theory's. So far so good, seem really good all over the mountain, both on and off piste, having really helped my confidence in the latter. Despite their relative fatness compared to my older skis I haven't noticed any performance issues on piste at all. Really good value for money too, about £400 including bindings.

My only minor gripe would be that the graphics scratch really easily, but given everything else it's not important

I'd describe myself at about 7 or 8 in the Snow n Rock scale (so advanced intermediate to advanced) , am 5'11" and 87kgs. I bought the 177cm which are about right for me.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Theory is billed as a great ski for getting started in the off-piste but once you get up to speed it has it's limits, the Dynastar Outland 80 is similar but not as highly rated a ski. The Head Peak is much more sturdy and of the three I would suspect the best for your weight and agressive skiing style. I've been on the Head IM88 and they blasted through everything.

What about the Völkl Mantra or Blizzard Sport Bonafide, ?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
DB wrote:
I've been on the Head IM88 and they blasted through everything.

Likewise with the old IM82. If the Peak series is similar it will be quite a sturdy ski with decent edge hold on hardpack.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wow great advice thanks guys Smile

DB you seem to know your stuff, no one has recommended the volkl or the blizzard but that may be because I'm on the wrong shop Very Happy

How do they compare to the peak 84??
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
billy_boy_2010,

I like to test skis and read a lot of German reports on skis - always looking for a bargin.

The Head Peak 84, Volkl Mantra and Blizzard Sport Bonafide are all similar skis. Peak is more piste orientated, Blizzard more offpiste, Mantra in the middle. There are better powder skis and better piste skis but these three are some of the best allrounders for a heavier person. To be honest we can give you a few names of skis that are well rated or that we currently ski/have skied but only you can decide which skis suit you. Shops push what they or their stockiest have in stock. Hire shops often let you deduct the cost of a couple of hire days from the ski price should you buy. They should also let you try more than one ski a day. Why not make a shortlist and try a few before you buy?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy