Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mayrhofen Review

Poster: A snowHead
tim000
Staying in Hippach means no Eisbar, no Scotland Yard, no Bruck n Stadl (although it is a shadow of its former self) no butcher's plate at the Perauer Shocked

Fine if I'm with family tho'.

Anyone tried the Viktoria, we landed up with one of the boys on his todd there, was cheaper than the Perauer and he reckoned food was excellent?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
andytb, Spot on. Most resorts have good and bad and you you need to weigh them up at the end of trip, and decide if you'll return. My own experience of Mayrhofen is that the good far outweighs the bad, and as Andy says the well known negatives are avoidable. I've never had a big problem with the Penkan, and the queue is rarely as bad as it looks. I love the place - and I know many agree with. If only I could encourage my wife, my boss and my bank account to support me going back for another trip this season.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
moonshine wrote:
Samerberg Sue Very Happy
thank's Samerberg Sue for your positive words of wisdom. Smile We've booked this holiday as a late deal and it was between Passo Tonale or Mayrhofen. Well, Mayrhofen it was without hesitation. Very Happy

Moonshine

Just wanted to say I used to think Passo Tonale was my favourite ski-ing place but since going to Mayrhofen 8 years ago we've never been anywhere else! In fact this season we have already been twice and will be fitting a third trip in, in a week and a half! It's a fantastic place. The first time we went was just for a weekend and in a Strass snow home which was amazing. So don't worry and enjoy your holiday!

BTW I know I have spelt Mayrhofen wrong in my user name - any ideas how I get it changed?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I love Mayrohofen, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Send a PM (private message) to one of the mods - they'll sort it out I'm sure. PM by clicking on the link under the mods username (where "user" is on your sig).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I love Mayrohofen,

we have returned from mayrhofen last saturday and i loved it. Smile
We were allocated to the Landhaus Roscher and it was just right. It is situated near the woods and it was nice and quiet there. We had our evening meals in the strass hotel and they were always tasty.
The skiing there is absolutely fab and we had a trip to the hintertux glacier which we absolutely loved and we also went on the zillertal train to zell am ziller which is another skiing area. We had this free on our ski pass and we could have skied there another week just to fit it all in. I thought it was good value as this was all included on the same lift pass.
As for queing at the penken bahn we never qued more than 10 to 15 minutes and the gondolas transfered us swiftly into the mountains. We also went up to the Ahorn area which was much quieter than the penken area. I loved the red run into the valley.
The apre ski in mayrhofen is all friendly and you can take it or leave it. There are quiet bars in the resort too so you can take your pick.
I would definately love to go back there and explore more of the zillertal area.
Moonshine Smile
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Going on 5th march, can't wait. Staying in the Strass snow homes, wanted cheap single room halfboard package. Area looks to have enough runs to preoccupie me for the week. Will report back as to what I thought. 20 days to go
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm also going on March 5th for a week...hope it's better than reports here!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
See ya there, if you wanna met up pm me
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've just noticed that the reports here are four years old! Things were pretty good when I was there last year.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Since this thread has been resurrected, it's worth noting that the new Penkenbahn is now operating and queues should be a thing of the past.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm normally in Mayrhofen twice every year, normally Jan / March and i can tell you that the new Penken Bhan has made a huge difference to queues...not just that but the new building at the bottom and top is a great addition...ok im not a fan of the size of it at the bottom, i think it imposes itself on the high street but you cant deny its great space.

the important thing to remember about Mayrhofen is that you are unlikely to get snow in the village after Jan - early feb so it will be green, but all the skiing is high up and very reliable...top of the penken lift i.e the bottom of the ski runs is 1600m, while this may worry some folk looking for that alpine / snowy feeling we quite like it as it means that especially in march you can wander about the village in trainers and a t-shirt having just enjoyed some awesome skiing all day high up

main tips are go to the Glacier early in the week as, as time goes by folk spread out so head up there mon-tues, a day at zell is a must and if you dont mind the train Kaltenbach and Fugen are great
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This is great advice thanks, I will update on my opinion when I get back. All tips welcome.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm heading out to Snowbombing ( Embarassed I know, but there is method in my madness, it was the only way I could get another skiing holiday, by choosing somewhere the mrs would go). Dunno what to expect the first week of April snow wise, not expecting miracles to be fair.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I hated the download on the evening as well, used to have a couple of beers at the top until it died down, we went in last week feb and it was too busy, anywhere where they have signs in the lift ques that tell you to expect to wait 20 minutes , then 10 , then 5 is not for me ... Bars were ok though, plenty of russians there as well, one day the weather was pants so we went up the Ahorn, nobody there and 18 inch of fresh snow, had about five runs down offpisting till somebody else turned up.. Woukd not recomend it though, solden was better... Wife Now looking for a small resort in austria thats full of charm,
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mayrhofen will never shake off the lift queues image, even if they have 100 person gondolas. The old lift they just demolished was called the "new" Penkenbahn for 15 years+.
Meanwhile I was in Kaltenbach on Sunday, absolutely heaving, never seen so many beginners, to the extent that I sussed out which gondola not to take*. I had to wait for 2 whole 8 person gondolas both up and down. I've never had to queue for more than 5 gondola cabins ever to download at Mayrhofen (both Penken and Horberg), Kaltenbach or Zell am Ziller, except for the one day when it was that crazy sled race thing, so there were also 1000+ pedestrian spectators up on the mountain too.

Far more to do in Zillertal than Sölden, but 99% will never do any of the other areas on the pass beyond that of the village they stay in.

* take the one with the mid station - it's actually fractionally quicker over all (yes, I timed it, and compared the cabin numbers on the adjacent lift), and brings you out the the track that lets to go right past the bunny slope, rather than pick your way thru all the classes.
snow conditions
So which area after Mayrhofen is worth a day trip on the super ski pass?
snow report
I thought in Zillertal you had to download as well.... solden has a run to the base but that can get busy as well
snow conditions
Mayrhofen, Kaltenbach and Zell am Ziller all have valley runs (actually I think Kaltenbach has 2, but one finishes near a different train stop - could be handy if getting the train down from Mayrhofen), but tbh, I'd do those first thing, go back up and download at the end of the day. Let the noobs suffer on the porridge doing a black run at the end of the day, and take a relaxed descent for 5 minutes.
Gerlos etc. you can ski to the village too.
After Mayrhofen, I'd do Zell am Ziller, and ski over to Königsleiten and back.
snow conditions
I've been to Mayrhofen twice pre Christmas before and both times had lovely snow right down to village level actually.

What was it like this December pre Christmas and Christmas week what with the slower start to the season this year?
snow conditions
it wasnt that great, no snow down in the valley and limited snow on the hill which they tried to top up with snow cannons but the Ahorn home run was shut and the top was only half width. The Eggalm link was shut and over in Eggalm itself only 1 run was open.

I was out straight after new year and although it did snow right down to the village they struggled to open everything as there was so little base
ski holidays
@enduroaid, right ok thanks
Bit of an unusual year though I think?
Unless I was lucky both times
latest report
What about Kaltenbach/Hoch Fugen etc as I found it seemed to be slightly snowier over there than Mayrhofen anyway?
snow conditions
Is Ahorn worth a look on the first day to get myself back on track or just hit main Mayrhofen?
snow report
@VolklAttivaS5....yeah a very unusual year actually, we have friends who have lived in the village for 20 years and can only remember 2/3 winters without snow on the valley floor at xmas.......the Fugen zone was ok as it is higher and a bit more north West but Kaltenbach suffered a bit, especially the lower runs

@KernowRed....I would suggest Ahorn would be a perfect place to start or end your week....if its your first day you could even just spend half the day up there ski / download and then have lunch in the village before hitting the Penkenbhan.
snow report
Thanks yes as i have mentioned before somewhere on here i had a season in NZ and spent 6 weeks in Japan but that was 7 years ago so a little nervous to see if it all comes flooding back.
ski holidays
@enduroaid, thanks, that's encouraging as I'm thinking of going week before Xmas and Xmas week (as I always make the most of the full area by using the train)
snow report
and how far is Zell am Ziller on the train or bus?
snow conditions
it would be a train to Zell and then a short bus to the lift station as the train station at zell is on the otherside of the valley....Mayrhofen train station is to the north of the village maybe 10 mins walk from the penkenbahn.....so can gauge that from your accomidation. Zell is 15 mins by train and then 5 mins bus to lifts

the buses are timed to link in with the trains

alternative option is about 20 euro in a taxi so if you have a group somtimes thats easier......trains are free while in ski gear though
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
15min bus ride i think, or about 10min train and a few min shuttle bus between zell am ziller station and the lifts.

or 20min train ride mayrhofen-kaltenbach if you want to do Hochzillertal-Hochfügen (actually a bit more convenient - station to station and walk a shor distance)
snow report
So all really accessable
ski holidays
@KernowRed, yes and lots of people don't even bother going outside of Mayrhofen! Sooo much to ski if just make a small effort
I actually prefer staying in Mayrhofen as more going on but prefer the skiing elsewhere.
snow report
Personally I select my accommodation down the end by the train station (near the Neue Post) because that way I can hop on the Zillertalbahn within a couple of minutes and still get the ski bus to the Penkenbahn from there easily if I want to ski in Mayrhofen that day. It's quieter down that end anyway and not next to the après ski bit
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy