Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help with change of AT boot from Scarpa Typhoon

Poster: A snowHead
Have skied Scarpa Typhoons for the last 3-4 seasons (mainly downhill and lift-assisted touring, plus the odd longer tour but never multi-day). Happy with the boot, not so happy with the fit - I get cramps in the forefoot in the morning despite skiing with both forefoot buckles open, and I needed three layers of foam before the heel was snug enough. (so I guess I have a relatively big forefoot and narrow heel). Since the liner got smelly and I want the Dynafit option, I'd like to change to something better-fitting.

Now in St Anton for a week, I went over to two shops to try boots. Both fitters just measured the length of my feet, no shell check. One suggested Garmont Radium in size 27 Mondo or Dynafit Zzero 4C in 26.5, and tried to talk me off Dynafits. The other gave me a breakfast buffet of boots: the same two as above plus Dynafit TLT 5, BD Factors and Quadrant, and Technica Cochise, all in 27 (the Cochise was weird, I wanted to like it but I was swimming in that size).

Hard to say from fit in the shop but from some research it looked like the Radium may be ok for me - at least it's high enough volume around the forefoot. But then other say that it's big around the heel...

Any thoughts / recommendations?

(This is a family holiday so I have the time to test / go back etc.)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If it is at all possible, you might want to hold off for a season; all the manufacturers are bringing out new models now many in slightly different fits. (Dynafit Vulcan, Mercury, One, Dalbello Sherpa, Scarpa Maestrale RS, Tecnica Cochise Pro and Ultralight, Garmont Cosmos to name a few!)

If you were keen to shop or buy regardless, you could try sticking the Dalbello Virus on your shortlist. I've got a widish forefoot and narrowish heel so I'm not a good match for Dynafit's own boots, but the Virus, Cochise and Garmont Mystic all fitted me reasonably well. The Radium looked a bit big around the heel but it was hard to tell as the only model I got to try was too big for me.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Interesting, maybe I should wait...

FYI, this is what my liner looks like now. I also have a 5mm heel lift.

ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
horizon,
Have you tried the Dynafit titan? - the heel is very snug.

As far as I am aware there are 4 main sport shops for ski boots in St Anton, be sure to try them all.
i.e.
Jennewein
Sports Alber
Intersport
+1 on the right further down the dorf strasse than Sport Alber, across the way from Hotel Montana (can't remember the name - Sport 2000?).

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 13-02-12 15:17; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
+1 for Dynafit Titans. I have similarly narrow heels and wide feet with a fairly high instep and the fit is snug.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
horizon, like buying anything computer related... can you wait a little longer? Dynafit Vulcan will be released this spring!? I really think Fall 2012 will see some amazing boots. How about sticking an Intuition in your old shells for the rest of the season? I guess it depends what plans you have for the rest of the season.

(pony up for the Titan UL if it fits...)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think parlor is right given where we are in the season. if i were you, i'd pencil in an early season trip to somewhere like Chamonix so you'll have the maximum choice.

although I like my Garmont Shoguns for most things, you might want something which will be compatible with normal alpine bindings (Shoguns aren't)

FWIW, i had a similar experience to you with the Cochise (suspicously comfortable out of the box, definitely the right size length-wise) so I think I would want to try the 98mm last version which is supposedly coming out next year. I'm also keeping an eye on the reports from TGR on build quality. i have seen a couple of question marks on that but it's not clear whether it is a real world issue

my own experience is that getting a really good fit makes a massive difference with AT boots. even when you bought your Typhoons, a lot of AT boots were quite welly-like and that seems to have improved greatly over the last couple of years
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Update: after a second visit to Jennewein, a different chap suggested a foam-injected liner in the Typhoons. (The current liner is already an Intuition...but old now).

I'm warming to that option. It would solve the fit issues and the stun at ten paces smell, and it would delay a decision on which boot to buy for the Dynafit inserts (let alone delay the expense of Dyna bindings). Maybe I'd even be able to re-use the liner in a new shell.

This second guy pushed the BD Factor much more than the Garmont Radium (if I really wanted tech inserts). And really didn't rate the Titan.

DB, I couldn't find the fourth shop. There's a new Hervis, maybe that replaced it. Funny enough, a chap there had been a bootfitter for 15 years and didn't want to sell me any of the two shells they had (Zzero 4c and Garmont Ghost), as he said he didn't have the tools to modify them for my foot.

Still some time to decide until tomorrow. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
horizon,

Just done a quick internet check - yes it is Hervis and not not Sport 2000. Embarassed If the boot doesn't fit with a high quality liner (e.g. intuition) I don't think it will fit for long with a foam injected liner. (I've had that with a pair of Strolz boots - fit great at first transformed myskiing overnight but then packed out later.). You could foam inject your feet in two buckets and they would feel snug as a rug until about lunchtime wink

Did the second guy sell the Titan? (Sport alber does) Funny how some shops prefer to push old stock wink So you have been to Sport alber and intersport too? What fits is best and as others have said, if you don't find anything that fits this year there's always next year.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Garmont Cosmos. Gives me a boner.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
parlor wrote:

103.5mm last? interested in how that translates into real world fit but seems mighty wide
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
am loving my Cochise 120. The liners are 5hit but will replace when i have the ££.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
i've got one comedy clown-foot wide forefoot (110) and one moderately wide forefoot (100) and two normal heels (you freak Toofy Grin), so don't have much trouble in the heels but do with the forefeet - well the left one anyway. Just got Scarpa mobes, which have pretty wide forefoot (104 iirc), and ok heels (not super snug so maybe an issue for you). For the forefoot, I need to do a bit of work - well a good old bake to get them comfy but they feel like they'll be fine after that. I wanted dynaits to fit but all way too narrow. Not sure if the mobe soles will suit your binding(s), i got mine for tech binders. Crispi used to do wide forefeet boots, but their sizings and lasts seems to have changed recently
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am watching this with interest. I too have a narrow heel and wide forefoot. I have just given up on my factors, as they were way too stiff for me and am looking for a dynafit replacement.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Arno wrote:
parlor wrote:

103.5mm last? interested in how that translates into real world fit but seems mighty wide

I need the extra width for my boner Wink

Duuuuuuude, I don't care how it fits snowHead snowHead snowHead

Hey Cedric, what are you looking for? Is this going to be a boot quiver of one?
ski holidays
parlor wrote:
Arno wrote:
parlor wrote:

I need the extra width for my boner Wink

5.5mm sounds about right wink
snow conditions
I was going from 100 > 103.5. But I'll take 5.5. Cheers. Twisted Evil
snow report
Well, sorry to interrupt this loving conversation between Arno and parlor, but just an update: I got the foam liner, and after a day of going back for tweaks I'm quite impressed by how it performs. I know it may also pack out but it buys me time until the new boots come out (and who knows, I may be able to fit it into a new shell).

EDIT: the liner was a size 26, with the shell being 27.

The bootfitter said that I do not have a particularly wide forefoot or high instep, tho' the heel IS narrow.

parlor, yes, looking for a boot quiver of one, having a hard enough time adjusting one pair of boots. Plan to ski them only on touring bindings, both smth like Marker and Dynafit.
ski holidays
horizon, good work fella. Sounds like the perfect plan. Go to the Zoo in November.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy