Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier advice (2)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,

As always, i defer to the infinite wisdom of the Snowheads. I'm in the process of planning my annual fix (a bit late i know but extenuating circumstances are to blame!) I intend to go to either Serra Chevalier or Tignes for a week in march. I snowboard and having not been to either before and any insight is appreciated (I hate flats!).

I noticed one thread already talked about the first week (3 mar - 10 mar) being busy owing to french school holidays. So my question to the all knowing is: what about the snow from 11 mar - 17 mar. Am i leaving it too late (in SC)? will the pistes be reduced to slush fests by this time? I was tempted by Tignes for this second week but they have the x games on which means there's no accommodation (affordable) left!

I'm really interested in Serra Chevalier with its promise of snowboard friendly runs, but if the snow will start to deteriorate by the 2nd week of march should i just stick out the french hols? I know Pam-w may say 'No!' but i was in Les Arcs for the french hols last year (4-11 Feb) and I was ok (just!). Will SC be much worse? Plus, won't the 'wide' runs (as i have been told exist) be ok regardless?

Any advice gratefully received.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Go to Val d'Isere
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's really hard to say what the snow will be like, you're still a month away. I guess you could take a stab and say because it's higher and more northerly Tignes might well have better snow.......

I've boarded both, and they're both well high up on my list. Tignes has great a high alpine feel, quite spread out and some varied areas. Serre Chevalier has some really fun terrain, there's more variation, loads of gullies, trees, open fields, short hikkes if you're keen for some fresh.

You're booking at a bit of an 'in between' time, not late enough to bag a bargain, not early enough to have full choice. If you can bear to leave it until the last minute (ie the week before) it'll be cheaper, you'll have some idea of what the conditions are like and maybe a stab at a long range forecast? You might not get the resort you're looking at, but you can at least go where the snow is the best for that week.

If I were pushed for a choice, bearing in mind the seasons snow so far and how cold it has been so far, I'd go for the terrain and hit Serre Chevalier.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
khwaja, There is never any guarantee about snow conditions but I have frequently skied Serre Che in April and usually had very good snow. It would be a very bad year not to get good snow in Mid March. If it is warm the bottom slopes will likely be slushy at the end of the day because the lowest bits are quite low, euqally the top bits are decently high and generally north facing and usually retain excellent snow.
It would maybe be even more unusual for Tignes not to have decent snow but given the total lack of trees a week of cold and cloudy weather can be pretty bleak in Tignes.
You would be unlucky to have a bad week in either place but if you haven't tried Serre Che I would certainly recommend it.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi All,

thanks very much for taking the time to reply. I've actually decided on Tignes Very Happy I was sorely tempted by check serre chevalier out and it was really quite tempting but i got a good deal on accommodation in tignes so the choice was to some extent made for me. I've defiantly earmarked SC for next season. Hopefully Tignes won't be too miserable...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
khwaja, sure you'll have a ball in Tignes.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy